30 for 30: The Last Days of Knight

Knew this one was coming. My guess they'll release on Thursday before Final 4 weekend. Not sure what I think of this one at all. I'd rather the 30 for 30 folks focus on his greatness of coaching and winning the right way for decades vs this but I understand it's part of the deal.

Knight is a polarizing figure and this story is probably more compelling than discussing success of IU under him. 

Edit-I mean this story has been told, told, and retold 14.8 million times....why now?

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Would this be running on ESPN, if Knight were still employed there ?  Or was it the time he spent at ESPN, that inspired ESPN to produce this ? 

My understanding to listening to a few interviews over the years is that ESPN has been holding 2 different IU story lines. First is this one with Knight. Second was the rebuild post Knight, Sampson and ESPN wanted a story with Crean finishing it off with at least a Final 4 run in 2013. The latter is obviously on hold and my assumption is the Knight story is still a draw but that interest is dwindling quickly so they might as well play it.

...also reminded me of Neil Reed.  What a sad story...kid showed huge potential; before he got in Knight's doghouse.  I'm sure he screwed some things up, but I wish Knight had more ability to correct bad habits while supporting the players.  Some kids just didn't deal well with Knight's brand of criticism.

57 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was in Vegas the day the story on Neil Reed and Knight broke during Spring Break I believe. Pool side on the cover of the Newspaper. I went inside and the 1st race I came across had a horse Rough Knight in it and I thought is was a good sign and won $237 on that horse

Great story.  Thanks for sharing. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was in Vegas the day the story on Neil Reed and Knight broke during Spring Break I believe. Pool side on the cover of the Newspaper. I went inside and the 1st race I came across had a horse Rough Knight in it and I thought is was a good sign and won $237 on that horse

LOVE IT.  The fact that you recall an exact obscure amount makes it even funnier.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of this documentary (or the idea of it I guess, since I've obviously not seen it yet). The fan base has been trying to move on from Bob Knight since it happened. For his loyalists this is going to stir up anger, for the rest it's just ESPN shining a very bright light on a very large stain on an otherwise storied past of IU basketball. As Seeking said, this thing has been told over and over again...it's time to stop drumming it up.  

20 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of this documentary (or the idea of it I guess, since I've obviously not seen it yet). The fan base has been trying to move on from Bob Knight since it happened. For his loyalists this is going to stir up anger, for the rest it's just ESPN shining a very bright light on a very large stain on an otherwise storied past of IU basketball. As Seeking said, this thing has been told over and over again...it's time to stop drumming it up.  

There is money to be made and ratings to get.

I am not sure I will be watching this show.  My interest in Bobby Knight, through the years has gone from the heights , to the depths. All of us IU fanatic fans already know the story. What more can ESPN add to this story ..... that we don't already know ?  Nothing is drawing me to this account. Especially considering what has transpired since then.

Who, here , remembers the reality show that Knight had when he was the HC at Texas Tech ?  Where he had kids try for a walk on position on the team. And the winner, actually was given a walk on position with the team.  For me, that was must see television. I tuned in every week. Was still a fan of his,  then. However.... that was long before he started to crap all over IU's bed. 

Knight School Opening 

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am not sure I will be watching this show.  My interest in Bobby Knight, through the years has gone from the heights , to the depths. All of us IU fanatic fans already know the story. What more can ESPN add to this story ..... that we don't already know ?  Nothing is drawing me to this account. Especially considering what has transpired since then.

Who, here , remembers the reality show that Knight had when he was the HC at Texas Tech ?  Where he had kids try for a walk on position on the team. And the winner, actually was given a walk on position with the team.  For me, that was must see television. I turned in every week. Was still a fan of his.  However.... that was long before he started to crap all over IU's bed. 

Knight School Opening 

I do remember. I was one of tbose guys thst cheered for texas tech but IU was my love

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Who, here , remembers the reality show that Knight had when he was the HC at Texas Tech ?  Where he had kids try for a walk on position on the team. And the winner, actually was given a walk on position with the team.  For me, that was must see television. I tuned in every week. Was still a fan of his,  then. However.... that was long before he started to crap all over IU's bed. 

Knight School Opening 

I watched every episode. Once Coach Knight went there I became a TT fan. He was fired on my daughters 4th birthday. I was 27 at the time and only had known Coach Knight, I was in tears that day. That was not a fun birthday party! Then the next year the twin towers came down, the day after her 5th birthday. A bad couple years there.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Knight School Opening 

I won’t watch it. I’m one of the people that still loves Coach Knight! Yes, he had some issues, but overall he was a good man. He and my dad are basically the same person. Both great men with flaws!

I was a huge RMK fan ad worshiped him for years but I thought he stayed about 3 years to long.  I just looked at the kids the last few years and they just appeared that they were ready for the season to end.  When he stopped recruiting and left it to his assistants, I thought it was time for him to go.

One interesting thing toward the end was that hunting and fishing took more time than recruiting.  A lot was put on the assistants but knight being knight cost us some big time players. How much better would we have been with Jacque Vaughn and Rael lafrentz.  Because Jacque wanted to visit Michigan before committing to IU  knight pulled the offer. He always said that he would not compete with certain schools for recruits because we could not afford them.

Archived