The Freshmen

IUFLA

The Freshmen  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the 4 freshmen impressed you the most in the exhibition VS Marian?

• Kaleb Banks
    • Jalen Hood-Schifino
    • Malik Reneau
    • CJ Gunn
  2. 2. Which freshman SURPRISED you the most in the exhibition VS Marian?

38 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Kaleb surprised me in a bad way. Hopefully he shows up going forward.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by his play too, although I can understand it being his first game...To me, he looked like Jordan Geronimo did his first year...Kinda mechanical...Hopefully as it goes along, his confidence will increase and he can get comfortable...

JHS on the other hand, looked like an upper classman...It was close with Malik in the "most impressive" category to me, but the mid-range game he displayed was exactly what we need...A kid that can get his own, and can finish well at the bucket if the defender lets him get there...Reminded me of a young Johnny Davis to be honest...Same size and athleticism...

• Like 4

It’s great to be excited about freshmen, especially with the upperclassmen we have. Can’t wait to see Bates play, and I always thought Duncomb was being overlooked. We should have one of the best front courts in the nation with TJD, Race, Malik and Duncomb. This could be a special year, if our guard play comes up big.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
Error
  • Like 1

I hope JHS and Malik both have terrific years, and good experiences at Indiana.

We are recruiting several top 40 kids from their former Montverde team. 

It sure would help if our coaches started a call with the recruits to say "Malik got Freshman of the Week again.  22 points in front of 17,000 fans.  He and Jalen are crushing it here.  That could be you next year."

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I hope JHS and Malik both have terrific years, and good experiences at Indiana.

We are recruiting several top 40 kids from their former Montverde team. 

It sure would help if our coaches started a call with the recruits to say "Malik got Freshman of the Week again.  22 points in front of 17,000 fans.  He and Jalen are crushing it here.  That could be you next year."

Agree….great recruiting tool!

• Like 1

Just a thought on CJ Gunn...

Before we ever saw any of them play, I think most, myself included, thought Banks was more in line for playing time than CJ...

But CJ came out and was confident and looked like he belonged. No hesitation whatsoever pulling the trigger, and he's got excellent form.

And he didn't look terrible on the defensive end. Maybe got lost a bit at first, but he was switching well out top, and had one nice block...

Get Clif to put some more meat on his bones and I think we got a really good one here...

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just a thought on CJ Gunn...

Before we ever saw any of them play, I think most, myself included, thought Banks was more in line for playing time than CJ...

But CJ came out and was confident and looked like he belonged. No hesitation whatsoever pulling the trigger, and he's got excellent form.

And he didn't look terrible on the defensive end. Maybe got lost a bit at first, but he was switching well out top, and had one nice block...

Get Clif to put some more meat on his bones and I think we got a really good one here...

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way because I mean it as a compliment, it kinda reminded me of Devonte Green.

Devonte was ranking right around 200 in his class, but he came in with some serious confidence from Day 1 and I see that in CJ, too. Obviously would like to see better decision making as his career progresses, but I'll take some of that mindset all day. Very excited about CJ. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way because I mean it as a compliment, it kinda reminded me of Devonte Green.

Devonte was ranking right around 200 in his class, but he came in with some serious confidence from Day 1 and I see that in CJ, too. Obviously would like to see better decision making as his career progresses, but I'll take some of that mindset all day. Very excited about CJ. 

Great point. I can see that for sure. 

And just comparing those two... DG was what? 6'2-6'3 without a true position, imo.. CJ is 6'6+ and LONG and is a clear two. concur, very excited. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

As long as CJ doesn't have Devonte's stubborn streak...

Not sure Devonte could have coexisted with Mike Woodson without a major attitude change... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not sure Devonte could have coexisted with Mike Woodson without a majored attitude change... 

Woodson handled Carmelo Anthony lol I’m sure he could get Devonte in line no problem. I feel like Devonte would have a lot of respect for Woody with him being a New York legend and a players coach. I think a lack of respect was a big issue between him and Archie 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Chelsea said:

Woodson handled Carmelo Anthony lol I’m sure he could get Devonte in line no problem. I feel like Devonte would have a lot of respect for Woody with him being a New York legend and a players coach. I think a lack of respect was a big issue between him and Archie 

I always thought that too...I think CAM would have been better off either sitting him, or just telling him he wasn't going to get minutes and letting him go...

I know Coach Woodson wouldn't have put up with it...Especially if some of the off court stuff is true...

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not sure Devonte could have coexisted with Mike Woodson without a majored attitude change... 

IIRC Devonte tweeted last year he would have loved to be in Coach Woodson's system. DG is exactly the type of kid who could flourish here now vs under Archie because plain and simple DG didn't have any respect for Archie. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by his play too, although I can understand it being his first game...To me, he looked like Jordan Geronimo did his first year...Kinda mechanical...Hopefully as it goes along, his confidence will increase and he can get comfortable...

JHS on the other hand, looked like an upper classman...It was close with Malik in the "most impressive" category to me, but the mid-range game he displayed was exactly what we need...A kid that can get his own, and can finish well at the bucket if the defender lets him get there...Reminded me of a young Johnny Davis to be honest...Same size and athleticism...

I'm going to feel comfortable with the ball in his hands at the end of a game when we need a basket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelsea said:

Woodson would have kicked DeVonte off the team, if even half the stuff told to me was true. Archie was the best thing for Devonte because he fought to keep him.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Woodson would have kicked DeVonte off the team, if even half the stuff told to me was true. Archie was the best thing for Devonte because he fought to keep him.

Guessing it was worse than a speeding ticket then.

I am old enough to remember with about 1/2 the board thought a speeding ticket should get X kicked off. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Guessing it was worth than a speeding ticket then.

I am old enough to remember with about 1/2 the board thought a speeding ticket should get X kicked off. 

Ok spin machine. I don't think he should have been kicked off. But to say it was about a speeding ticket? That's a dishonest debate.

Not like he was doing 75 in a 65. What he did was extremely dangerous. 

And I am a huge fan of XJ. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Ok spin machine. I don't think he should have been kicked off. But to say it was about a speeding ticket? That's a dishonest debate.

Not like he was doing 75 in a 65. What he did was extremely dangerous. 

And I am a huge fan of XJ. 

What would you call it if not a speeding ticket? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What would you call it if not a speeding ticket? 

Call it want you want. But to act like it was not uber dangerous, wreckless and dumb is just not an honest argument.

It was a really really bad move. It has been handled, and it's over. Bit come on man.....have an honest debate here.  Lol

• Like 3

Mike Woodson, along with a couple of other players, got into trouble with pot. The other guys were let go. Woodson was suspended. Different people are treated different ways, based on a variety of things… personal character being high on that list. Stupid, and could have ruined him. Just like the treatment of X could have been the beginning of a spiral downward. Glad that a mentor like RMK passed along the discernment of how to handle young men to CMW. Hopefully, X will take that away and who knows, maybe have a chance to pass it on 

• Like 3