The Freshmen

IUFLA

The Freshmen  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the 4 freshmen impressed you the most in the exhibition VS Marian?

• Kaleb Banks
    • Jalen Hood-Schifino
    • Malik Reneau
    • CJ Gunn
  2. 2. Which freshman SURPRISED you the most in the exhibition VS Marian?

16 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Mike Woodson, along with a couple of other players, got into trouble with pot. The other guys were let go. Woodson was suspended. Different people are treated different ways, based on a variety of things… personal character being high on that list. Stupid, and could have ruined him. Just like the treatment of X could have been the beginning of a spiral downward. Glad that a mentor like RMK passed along the discernment of how to handle young men to CMW. Hopefully, X will take that away and who knows, maybe have a chance to pass it on 

I think it is worth noting that RMK kicked a very talented Tommy Baker off that squad.

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

But CJ came out and was confident and looked like he belonged. No hesitation whatsoever pulling the trigger, and he's got excellent form.

And he didn't look terrible on the defensive end. Maybe got lost a bit at first, but he was switching well out top, and had one nice block...

Get Clif to put some more meat on his bones and I think we got a really good one here...

Agree with all of this, AND after watching the game a 2nd & 3rd time, his defense wasn't bad at all, overall. It was certainly more than acceptable for his very first game at AH. Yeah, he got beat once or twice, but recovered nicely, rotations for the most part looked good, and he is quicker than I thought he would be.

I'm pleased with him.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Call it want you want. But to act like it was not uber dangerous, wreckless and dumb is just not an honest argument.

It was a really really bad move. It has been handled, and it's over. Bit come on man.....have an honest debate here.  Lol

I agree it was dangerous and dumb, but it was a speeding ticket. And to think we’d kick a kid off of the team for that is “reckless and dumb” if I were going to pick your words.

As a parent, I’d be VERY turned off by a coach doing that. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree it was dangerous and dumb, but it was a speeding ticket. And to think we’d kick a kid off of the team for that is “reckless and dumb” if I were going to pick your words.

I don't think any IU fans want to see IU players in police reports, but aside from that, there's a lot about the situation that we don't know.  There are conversations and actions subsequent to the violation that we also don't know about.  Time has a way of freeing the truth into the public domain, but until I see information to the contrary, I'm content with assuming the staff has a lot more information than fan forums and will use that information to act appropriately.

there are people on this board that cannot even consider there could be other reasonable opinions out there, so i try not to engage much anymore, but... just my opinion - if a coach kicked a player off the team for going 40 mph over the speed limit and resisting arrest, i would not be turned off as a parent of a recruit.  i would be impressed that the staff is careful about their culture and like the idea that my son would likely have teammates that were really good people.  that may sound crazy to others, but my opinion.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

there are people on this board that cannot even consider there could be other reasonable opinions out there, so i try not to engage much anymore, but... just my opinion - if a coach kicked a player off the team for going 40 mph over the speed limit and resisting arrest, i would not be turned off as a parent of a recruit.  i would be impressed that the staff is careful about their culture and like the idea that my son would likely have teammates that were really good people.  that may sound crazy to others, but my opinion.  

So what are you trying to say about Xavier Johnson then?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree. I'm not saying I want the Bobby Bowden approach....but giving kids a chance to rebound and grow/learn from mistakes/errors is what molding them into adults is what it's all about. 

I also have no interest in a team full of choir boys, either. 🤷‍♂️

So sure.. there is a line. But in a fight, I probably want XJ on my side. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Coach Woodson has shown to be fair in the Windy City 5 and the Parnelli Johnson 😁 incidents...

There has to be accountability... 

Undoubtedly, but it would also be stupid for Woodson to cripple our team because..... he's righteous? XJ is clearly not viewed as a cancer by anyone who matters. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Who said XJ was even close to being a cancer? 

This conversation is only a thing because of the 6th grade girls volleyball coach Shep.  That's it.  He trolls in and laughs on the way out, probably checks in every once in a while and laughs that he got a bunch of grown men all up in arms for 3 days now.  

Literally not one person has taken near such an extreme stance against  X.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

And he didn't resist arrest. They slap that charge on almost everyone. I know a guy that got resisting arrest for farting while be handcuffed. And I'm not exaggerating either. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why else would others want him kicked off? 

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

This conversation is only a thing because of the 6th grade girls volleyball coach Shep.  That's it.  He trolls in and laughs on the way out, probably checks in every once in a while and laughs that he got a bunch of grown men all up in arms for 3 days now.  

I think @btownqb's issue is more with @NCHoosier32's post... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Just a few posts up in this thread someone besides Shep basically said he should have been kicked off the team.