Jump to content

Big 10 Basketball 2022-23


Recommended Posts

Just thought I'd start a thread looking at other Big 10 teams and their schedules/highlights...

One of the bigger question marks in the conference, Illinois, played D2 Quincy University Friday...Highlights here...

After a slow start, the Illini looked good...but 6-34 (17%) from 3 point land isn't going to cut it...

And their only true post up guy, Dain Dainja, looks like Iowa's Josh Ogundele (if you remember him from last year)...Dainja could use a summer with Clif...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Iowa VS Truman State (not sure whether it's named for the president or the Jim Carrey character 😉)

Feel pretty safe in saying the Hawkeyes are going to be one of the better offensive teams in the Big 10. Hawks had 5 guys in double figures and shot 56% (14-25) from 3.

Indianapolis Lawrence North product Tony Perkins is going to be big for them this year... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rutgers over a scrappy Fairfield team that returned 3 starters from last year's NCAA Tournament team...

It looks like Cliff Omouryi has expanded his offensive game a lot. Hits a 20 footer early in the highlights... Only thing I worry about with the Scarlet Knights is lack of depth...

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wisconsin over the Wisconsin Eau Claire Blugolds (WTH?) 76-45. I think the Badgers are another team with depth issues. Bucky was only 5-20 from 3 but they weren't a good 3 point team last year and shared the conference crown...

@btownqb is right... Matthew Loves Basketball on YouTube rocks... 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Seth Greenberg on the Dakich show:  "Rutgers is for real.  Rutgers will be a top 4 finisher in the Big 10"

As I said, I think lack of depth might keep them in the middle of the pack. 

They only went 4-13 (31%) from 3, and Omouryi hit one of those (and if he hits that shot consistently, watch out). Mulcahy, McConnell, and Omouryi are 3 pretty good players, but still, the have to replace Harper and Baker's production... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2022 at 1:10 PM, IUFLA said:

Just thought I'd start a thread looking at other Big 10 teams and their schedules/highlights...

One of the bigger question marks in the conference, Illinois, played D2 Quincy University Friday...Highlights here...

After a slow start, the Illini looked good...but 6-34 (17%) from 3 point land isn't going to cut it...

And their only true post up guy, Dain Dainja, looks like Iowa's Josh Ogundele (if you remember him from last year)...Dainja could use a summer with Clif...

Dainja's already come a long way with the best, Fletch. Lost 30 lbs. He's not really a true post up guy, more like Trevion Williams from Purdue. More skilled, passing than real power.

Thought Clark and Rodgers looked good in their first action. Shooting shouldn't be a concern, this was only their 2nd time in the SFC and will get used to it with more game time there. Half court offense needs a lot of work but that's typical this time of year.

Hawkins had 2 turnovers stepping over the end line inbounding the ball. Underwood not too happy with that. 🤣

re:Iowa, yes they will be good on offense again. Fran's really good there.

Edited by BruceDouglas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Dainja's already come a long way with the best, Fletch. Lost 30 lbs. He's not really a true post up guy, more like Trevion Williams from Purdue. More skilled, passing than real power.

Thought Clark and Rodgers looked good in their first action. Shooting shouldn't be a concern, this was only their 2nd time in the SFC and will get used to it with more game time there. Half court offense needs a lot of work but that's typical this time of year.

Hawkins had 2 turnovers stepping over the end line inbounding the ball. Underwood not too happy with that. 🤣

re:Iowa, yes they will be good on offense again. Fran's really good there.

IU football should hire Fran McAffery as the offensive coordinator. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Watched the highlight of MSU exhibition game against Grand Valley St. MSU was down 5 at the half but won by 17

Highlights...

Sparty with 4 players in double figures... 34% from 3 land...

They do have some experience, but their 2 new guys, Jackson Kohler (4 star) and Tre Holloman (4 star) didn't contribute much... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ohio State smokes Charminade (D2) 101-57 

Tanner Holden, 6'6 grad transfer from Wright State (you might remember him from the First Four from the tournament vs Bryant last year... 37 points)

Went 10-12 from the field and 2-2 from 3 for 25 points for the Buckeyes last night... 

Edited by IUFLA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Ohio State smokes Charminade (D2) 101-57 

Tanner Holden, 6'6 grad transfer from Wright State (you might remember him from the First Four from the tournament vs Bryant last year... 37 points)

Went 10-12 from the field and 2-2 from 3 for 25 points for the Buckeyes last night... 

Holden was a huge pickup for them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Holden was a huge pickup for them

Yep... For all of the clamoring about Shannon and Mayer going to Illinois, I think Ohio State's haul of Holden, McNeil, and Likekele was just as impressive if not more so... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Purdue beats Truman State 101-57 

Morton, Smith, Loyer and Gillis we're a combined 3-16 (19%) from 3 point range... 

This might wind up being  the worst defensive team Purdue has had in Painter's tenure.  Guards are a massive liability.  The bigs will keep them in games and if those guards can hit on kick outs they will win a decent handful of B1G games and be a for sure early exit team if they can find a way to make the tournament.   Probably will as an 8ish seed.  That's my 20 min take.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

This might wind up being  the worst defensive team Purdue has had in Painter's tenure.  Guards are a massive liability.  The bigs will keep them in games and if those guards can hit on kick outs they will win a decent handful of B1G games and be a for sure early exit team if they can find a way to make the tournament.   Probably will as an 8ish seed.  That's my 20 min take.  

Much like a Keady coached Purdue team, I never count out the Boilers under Painter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...