Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

4 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Is MSU actually good or Zags/Cats overrated? 🤨

Maybe Sparty is a little ahead of some of these teams adding a lot of new players, though Zags returned quite a bit. Then again, hard to put a lot of stock in a game played on a boat.

The gap between the top few teams in the country and the rest may not be as big this year. MSU certainly has done better than expected so far but Gonzaga, UK, etc haven't looked very impressive themselves. Even Duke and Kansas looked fairly beatable last night.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

The gap between the top few teams in the country and the rest may not be as big this year. MSU certainly has done better than expected so far but Gonzaga, UK, etc haven't looked very impressive themselves. Even Duke and Kansas looked fairly beatable last night.

Ppl that do rankings are lazy. Both sports. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Is MSU actually good or Zags/Cats overrated? 🤨

Maybe Sparty is a little ahead of some of these teams adding a lot of new players, though Zags returned quite a bit. Then again, hard to put a lot of stock in a game played on a boat.

What I saw from Michigan state is a very physical defensive oriented team that's gonna be their calling card this year which bodes well early in the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He won that game for us. Great second half. 

Marquette has a nice little point guard but he couldn't  play a lick of defense and it looked like they were trying to put a longer wing on Smith and he kept beating them, getting in the paint and facilitating.  

Until he sparked that run, it wasn't looking good for Purdue, down what, 7 or 9 at one point.  Crown him if y'all want, I'll take our match-up with X, JHS,  and in the future see no reason why the player of the year in the state of Ohio as a junior couldn't hold his own.  But that's a long ways away and hopefully JHS stays 2 years.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I don't fault our staff for passing, we had JHS, Cupps. Whatever. But we had posters here basically try to claim this kid couldn't play for us because he was ranked in the 200s? Nonsense. 

I'm with you, but it brings up the age old question, is one season of JHS better than four seasons of Smith?  I'd disagree with anyone who says that A is clearly better than B.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Marquette has a nice little point guard but he couldn't  play a lick of defense and it looked like they were trying to put a longer wing on Smith and he kept beating them, getting in the paint and facilitating.  

Until he sparked that run, it wasn't looking good for Purdue, down what, 7 or 9 at one point.  Crown him if y'all want, I'll take our match-up with X, JHS,  and in the future see no reason why the player of the year in the state of Ohio as a junior couldn't hold his own.  But that's a long ways away and hopefully JHS stays 2 years.  

I wish I could say you recruited a bunch of KL level busts but every player I’ve seen is really good 

I don’t see Cupps as an elite level prospect athletically but will admit he produces and wins.  

I think both schools have the right coach and recruiting strategy 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I don't fault our staff for passing, we had JHS, Cupps. Whatever. But we had posters here basically try to claim this kid couldn't play for us because he was ranked in the 200s? Nonsense. 

CMW is looking for a different type of player. He likes long, athletic players who can guard multiple positions. As much as I liked Smith, and that was a lot, I don't see CMW ever recruiting a Smith type player.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm with you, but it brings up the age old question, is one season of JHS better than four seasons of Smith?  I'd disagree with anyone who says that A is clearly better than B.

We did have 4 seasons of Phinisee which looks like it may be a good comparison for Smith. Would you rather have 1 year of JHS or 4 seasons of Phinisee?

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

We did have 4 seasons of Phinisee which looks like it may be a good comparison for Smith. Would you rather have 1 year of JHS or 4 seasons of Phinisee?

I'm sorry...you are waaaaaay off there.  Smith is a much better player than Phinisee.  I'll take that side of the argument any day of the week.

• Like 2