Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

At the under 12 timeout of the first half 

Kansas 6 

UW 6

Kansas is 2-16 from the field. Watching all day f these games there is just way to much dribbling in the half court offense. It is easier to defend the drive over crisp passes and cuts.  The ball moves faster by the pass.

That kid from Central Noble likes to shoot.

• Like 4

I don’t think the B1G is going to be down this year…and I think there are several teams just as good if not better than us that will fight it out for the B1G championship. Purdue, Michigan St, OSU, and Illinois will all be right there at the end i feel. Wisconsin and Iowa will also win their share of games too.

• Like 3

Watching the Purdue-Gonzaga game, I was both impressed with Purdue and underwhelmed by Gonzaga. 

That is a good win for Purdue and they look like a really tough team. They'll be in ghe mix in the Big Ten.

Smith is going to be a problem for 4 years and they all play really well together. Lower and Smith play really well together. 

With that said, this isn't the Gonzaga team of the last few seasons. Their guard play isn't what is was when they had guys like Kespert, Suggs, Nembhard, etc.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think the B1G is going to be down this year…and I think there are several teams just as good if not better than us that will fight it out for the B1G championship. Purdue, Michigan St, OSU, and Illinois will all be right there at the end i feel. Wisconsin and Iowa will also win their share of games too.

No doubt.  It's going to be a war.   😊

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Watching the Purdue-Gonzaga game, I was both impressed with Purdue and underwhelmed by Gonzaga. 

That is a good win for Purdue and they look like a really tough team. They'll be in ghe mix in the Big Ten.

Smith is going to be a problem for 4 years and they all play really well together. Lower and Smith play really well together. 

With that said, this isn't the Gonzaga team of the last few seasons. Their guard play isn't what is was when they had guys like Kespert, Suggs, Nembhard, etc.

Edey gives Purdue an unnatural advantage that is difficult to prepare for.  If he stays healthy and they get consistent backcourt play, they should be a Top 4 NCAA tourney seed come March.  However, take Edey out of the mix, and they are king of 'meh'.  Honestly, they may benefit from addition by subtraction this season with losing Ivey.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Edey gives Purdue an unnatural advantage that is difficult to prepare for.  If he stays healthy and they get consistent backcourt play, they should be a Top 4 NCAA tourney seed come March.  However, take Edey out of the mix, and they are king of 'meh'.  Honestly, they may benefit from addition by subtraction this season with losing Ivey.  

Agree. Edey's impact is something you can't normally account for. He draws so much attention. 

I actually think IU matches up well with Purdue. We have the size, length athleticism on the perimeter to disrupt their young backcourt. 

But offensively we need to play the TJD/XJ PnR game and get Edey uncomfortable defensively, as opposed to running through TJD on the block. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not the exact type of players but in the unnatural advantage department it's similar plan/prep as with Kofi. Put Edey's head on a swivel with ball reversal, make him prove he can play high ball screen D and see what happens.

Very solid win for Purdue. No matter what we think of Gonzaga. Could be the difference in between a 4 and 5 seed later in year.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not the exact type of players but in the unnatural advantage department it's similar plan/prep as with Kofi. Put Edey's head on a swivel with ball reversal, make him prove he can play high ball screen D and see what happens.

Very solid win for Purdue. No matter what we think of Gonzaga. Could be the difference in between a 4 and 5 seed later in year.

This is exactly it. You have to get him moving a lot on D and make him uncomfortable. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Edey's impact is something you can't normally account for. He draws so much attention. 

I actually think IU matches up well with Purdue. We have the size, length athleticism on the perimeter to disrupt their young backcourt. 

But offensively we need to play the TJD/XJ PnR game and get Edey uncomfortable defensively, as opposed to running through TJD on the block. 

I thought Gonzaga did a poor job of attacking Edey. They were scared if timme getting fouls but should have matched them up a few times and let Timme drive him and try to get fouls. Gonzaga did run any offense thru Eden’s man. You have to make him guard the PNR and make him guard guys that can put the ball on the floor and drive. Can’t let him stay in the paint and clog it up. Just helps the guards defend if he can stay in the paint the whole game. Teams that beat Purdue will make Edey guard all over the floor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Let TJD and MR put the ball ion the floor from 15 to 18ft and make him move his feet. Get him in foul trouble. Then abuse Furst and Kaufman in the post and make the guards beat you off the dribble

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 94hoosier said:

I thought Gonzaga did a poor job of attacking Edey. They were scared if timme getting fouls but should have matched them up a few times and let Timme drive him and try to get fouls. Gonzaga did run any offense thru Eden’s man. You have to make him guard the PNR and make him guard guys that can put the ball on the floor and drive. Can’t let him stay in the paint and clog it up. Just helps the guards defend if he can stay in the paint the whole game. Teams that beat Purdue will make Edey guard all over the floor. 

Gonzaga looked pretty clueless on offense. Definitely not what I expected from a team that is typically well coached. Give credit to Purdue though they did well on defense. Clearly Gonzaga is not a team that can beat you by just chucking up 3’s all game long.

Edited by 02Hoosier
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

To me let Edey get his and defend the rest of the team. Last night they looked really good because the other players played well so don't let them get going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 94hoosier said:

Let TJD and MR put the ball ion the floor from 15 to 18ft and make him move his feet. Get him in foul trouble. Then abuse Furst and Kaufman in the post and make the guards beat you off the dribble

Here what you're saying and I'm sure we'll do that some, but I'd prefer to put Edey in the PnR and force him to defend while moving and making decisions, as opposed to isolating TJD or Reneau one-one-one. 

I think that when we isolate our bigs that the offense can get stagnated and also can help bail Edey out. 

TJD isn't a threat to shoot from 18ft, and really Reneau isn't either, so Edey can just wait in the paint and force both to have to finish over him when they drive. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Here what you're saying and I'm sure we'll do that some, but I'd prefer to put Edey in the PnR and force him to defend while moving and making decisions, as opposed to isolating TJD or Reneau one-one-one. 

I think that when we isolate our bigs that the offense can get stagnated and also can help bail Edey out. 

TJD isn't a threat to shoot from 18ft, and really Reneau isn't either, so Edey can just wait in the paint and force both to have to finish over him when they drive. 

you do both and really force him to move all over the floor and defend. Open the lane for cuts and drives to the basket for others. Can’t let him defend the post or wait in the paint for guys to drive

• Like 1