Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

For the first time in my life, I looked up the actual NCAA rulebook because something was bothering me about that buzzer beater.

Rutgers got hosed - the OSU player who hit the shot could not be the first one to touch the ball since he was out of bounds of his own volition. 

The NCAA also added an exception this year for players whose momentum carries them out of bounds, which still wouldn't apply because the OSU player was just nonchalantly out of bounds on his own; there was no momentum to carry him out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

For the first time in my life, I looked up the actual NCAA rulebook because something was bothering me about that buzzer beater.

Rutgers got hosed - the OSU player who hit the shot could not be the first one to touch the ball since he was out of bounds of his own volition. 

The NCAA also added an exception this year for players whose momentum carries them out of bounds, which still wouldn't apply because the OSU player was just nonchalantly out of bounds on his own; there was no momentum to carry him out.

Excellent catch... He sure was out of bounds... 

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Excellent catch... He sure was out of bounds... 

Don't get me wrong, I'm anything but sad that Rutgers got a taste of their own medicine, but the last 7 seconds of that game were borderline criminal. 

The clock starts almost two full seconds late, McConnel pretty clearly fouls, the first guy from OSU pretty clearly steps out of bounds, and the shooter spends something like 3-4 seconds just chilling out of bounds before not clearly reestablishing himself inbounds prior to receiving the pass (which doesn't matter anyways at that point since he can't be the next guy to touch the ball).

It's honestly breathtaking how badly Rutgers got screwed on that play.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

1EA20323-9E1B-4CDC-B478-DE27CA5BB9FC.thumb.jpeg.30cc72903fda4d73b2d59373f96c0d34.jpegAgreed. How do you not know this if you’re an official??

Edited by Danomatic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

1EA20323-9E1B-4CDC-B478-DE27CA5BB9FC.thumb.jpeg.30cc72903fda4d73b2d59373f96c0d34.jpegAgreed. How do you not know this if you’re an official??

Also, how does this not get reviewed? I guarantee they checked to make sure he got the shot off in time… couldn’t check the rest of the play? The Rutgers players were standing right there pointing it out too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

It wouldn't surprise me either way if:

1) None of the officials were aware of this rule, or 

2) They knew the rule, but ignored it because they feared the reaction such a call would elicit from the OSU crowd. 

Wasn’t there a new head of BIG officiating this year? Wonder what kind of fallout there will be, if any?

8 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I honestly thought the assist guy was out of bounds before pass

8 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm anything but sad that Rutgers got a taste of their own medicine, but the last 7 seconds of that game were borderline criminal. 

The clock starts almost two full seconds late, McConnel pretty clearly fouls, the first guy from OSU pretty clearly steps out of bounds, and the shooter spends something like 3-4 seconds just chilling out of bounds before not clearly reestablishing himself inbounds prior to receiving the pass (which doesn't matter anyways at that point since he can't be the next guy to touch the ball).

It goes to show B10 refs are just bad all around 

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I think the first guy may have also traveled after he stepped OB. 🤣

Shocking that Ohio St /Michigan benefited from questionable officiating. Just shocking!

• Haha 2

Just spoke to a buddy of mine who officiates D1 basketball (SEC is among his conferences). I’ll just say he was on the crew that tossed Stackhouse against VCU. He said three things. 

1.) “I’d need to see it live, people manipulate screenshots, pics all of the time.”

2.) He said the shooter can be the next guy to touch the ball as long as he has one foot established back inbounds. This isn’t football. The other foot can be in the air as long as it’s not out of bounds. I didn’t realize this. I thought both feet had to be established. I never thought him not being allowed to be the first to touch it was accurate. Never heard that in basketball.

3.) The non-call cannot be reviewed. It can only be reviewed if it was called on the court. Can’t call the shot off bc he was out when you’re going to look at whether he got it off in time. 

That’s what I was told by a guy who I think is a good official. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Just spoke to a buddy of mine who officiates D1 basketball (SEC is among his conferences). I’ll just say he was on the crew that tossed Stackhouse against VCU. He said three things. 

1.) “I’d need to see it live, people manipulate screenshots, pics all of the time.”

2.) He said the shooter can be the next guy to touch the ball as long as he has one foot established back inbounds. This isn’t football. The other foot can be in the air as long as it’s not out of bounds. I didn’t realize this. I thought both feet had to be established. I never thought him not being allowed to be the first to touch it was accurate. Never heard that in basketball.

3.) The non-call cannot be reviewed. It can only be reviewed if it was called on the court. Can’t call the shot off bc he was out when you’re going to look at whether he got it off in time. 

That’s what I was told by a guy who I think is a good official. 

This is a screenshot of the NCAA rulebook for 22-23. The highlighted part is new for this year, but is not applicable to this play as the OSU player's momentum isn't what took him out of bounds.

Screenshot_20221209-115432.png

Edited by rogue3542

9 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

This is a screenshot of the NCAA rulebook for 22-23. The highlighted part is new for this year, but is not applicable to this play as the OSU player's momentum isn't what took him out of bounds.

Thats why I do not think the shot should have counted. His momentum did not take him out of bounds not was he forced out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thats why I do not think the shot should have counted. His momentum did not take him out of bounds not was he forced out.

Man I just watched that video clip on Youtube and it is sooooo obvious that shot should not have counted! He was running down the floor and just veers of out of bounds past the time line, right where the coaches box is and then steps right back inbounds for the pass..... That is very bad officiating and I would be livid if I were Rutgers.....!!!

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Wasn’t there a new head of BIG officiating this year? Wonder what kind of fallout there will be, if any?

If I was head of Big Ten officiating, 70% of these guys would be fired.  I have to believe there are better officials in Saturday afternoon YMCA leagues, let alone quality officials in conferences such as the MVC and Mid-American that could be hired as replacements.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

The key word in the highlighted part is "momentum."

His momentum did not carry him out of bounds... He went out of bounds on his own... 

Therefore Article 1 applies

Edited by IUFLA

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If I was head of Big Ten officiating, 70% of these guys would be fired.  I have to believe there are better officials in Saturday afternoon YMCA leagues, let alone quality officials in conferences such as the MVC and Mid-American that could be hired as replacements.

The officiating is horrible, but I wouldn’t be so quick to hire YMCA ref’s. I remember playing softball and the umpire made an obvious wrong call. Being a bit of a butt, I asked him if we were playing by ASA (amateur softball association) rules? He answered what’s ASA? I stopped arguing.

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

After my discussion with @btownqb about officials yesterday, I found out that NCAA officials used to be independent contractors and were not bound to one conference. They can have agreements with multiple conferences. DJ Carstensen at one time had agreements with 6 conferences. I couldn't find any current data to show whether that's still the case now...