Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Quoting all of you because it's easier, and will say I haven't watched in slow mo so what I'm about to say may make it even more obvious it was a missed call or may make it clear it wasn't.

The rule in question, and that is quoted, would allow the play to be legal if he were back in bounds before the pass left his teammates hand. In that scenario, his teammate was the first one to touch the ball upon him returning and it's legal. @mrflynn03you watched in slo-mo, was he back in bounds before the pass left his teammates hand?

The second issue no one has mentioned, and I'm not sure this is true in college but fairly certain it is in high school, is you can't just "hang out" out of bounds. It's a technical foul to do that. Does anyone know if that rule is also in college? 

According to referee.com that technical foul rule was changed a few years ago and no long applies.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I understand that. What I am saying is the conference shouldn't extend agreements with those who are incompetent.  I'm sure there are some good MVC officials that would gladly trade a night in Terre Haute for one in Chicago.

Whose definition of "incompetent?"

Screenshot_20221209-175134.thumb.png.a20c997541c4de937f0f39df9c91c8bb.png

This list is a few years old (5) but look at #3. I know most of us hate him because of 92, but every other game I've ever seen him referee is about "him" and not the play or the players... 

The Big 10 basically fired him (didn't renew his contract with them in 2018) but there were plenty of takers left... 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, but the player with the ball is the first one to touch it, so it comes back to if he was established before the pass. 

It looks like he was not, but it was a bang bang play on that.

Do you really think that the “intent” of “first one to touch” comment was ever intended to be to player already holding the ball to start with? 
I know you’ve beaten that like a lawyer, but do you honestly think that was ever the intent? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This list is a few years old (5) but look at #3. I know most of us hate him because of 92, but every other game I've ever seen him referee is about "him" and not the play or the players... 

The Big 10 basically fired him (didn't renew his contract with them in 2018) but there were plenty of takers left... 

Just goes to prove even though they think the ACC is Gods gift to basketball, CBS, ESPN and especially their fans are clueless if they think TV Ted is one of the best!!!!

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

so I’m watching the Vanderbilt Grambling game, if not for the officiating that has now fouled out two of Gramblings players this game wouldn’t be close. If only IU could get that kind of home cooking!

5 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Do you really think that the “intent” of “first one to touch” comment was ever intended to be to player already holding the ball to start with? 
I know you’ve beaten that like a lawyer, but do you honestly think that was ever the intent? 

Yes, absolutely. What else would the first touch refer to if not the first guy touching the ball? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, absolutely. What else would the first touch refer to if not the first guy touching the ball? 

Since the total focus of this rule is the player, that came in from out of bounds, and not “a passer is allowed to touch the ball while passing to a player who was OOB..” 

if it was about the passer touching the ball first, wouldn’t that mean he would have had control of the ball while being OOB?

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Try this one

Fjk2XIjWQAAGE3y?format=jpg&name=large

This is the kind of thing that really boils my blood. In 99% of cases, it's hard to prove a blown call would incontrovertibly change the outcome of the game, but this one is as clear as it gets.

Rutgers won that game, and the right thing to do would be to go back and award them the win, but instead, the big ten just says, "we messed up, but the consequences are yours."

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Try this one

Fjk2XIjWQAAGE3y?format=jpg&name=large

While it is nice that they publicly acknowledge the mistake here, it does not change the fact that the officiating in the conference is substandard well beyond this single play.

The next gathering of all Big Ten officials should start off with, "Okay, the Ohio State/Rutgers play was bad, but you guys pretty much suck across the board.  Get it together, or we will find officials that can do the job better."

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

While it is nice that they publicly acknowledge the mistake here, it does not change the fact that the officiating in the conference is substandard well beyond this single play.

The next gathering of all Big Ten officials should start off with, "Okay, the Ohio State/Rutgers play was bad, but you guys pretty much suck across the board.  Get it together, or we will find officials that can do the job better."

And “for gawd sake, stop calling fouls on IU!”. 
🤩

• Haha 2