Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Lots of hoops to not admit Purdue got a damn good player. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Not really... I do think 3 games does not a college career make...

If he turns out to be "damn good" I'll have no trouble admitting it... 

I think he's shown he's good, especially in Purdue's system with the dominant big. I thought I remembered reading that CMW had to be sold on Cupps.  I'm fine with going after guys like JHS and if he leaves after this year, like I expect him to, go get another like him or bring in a veteran from the portal. Apparently CMW turned away a couple of possible transfers, which was fine for this year. There may be several openings for next year and hopefully the portal will fill any needs that new recruits can't.  I wanted Smith when Archie was coach but I'm fine with trusting CMW to assemble the roster as he sees fit.

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Then we know zero about Malik and JHS. 

Not quite zero, but they have a ways to go to be in IU's Parthenon of greats...

I'd say anyone you'd ask though would deem them more physically ready for the rigors of Big 10 basketball than Smith is... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I think he's shown he's good, especially in Purdue's system with the dominant big. I thought I remembered reading that CMW had to be sold on Cupps.  I'm fine with going after guys like JHS and if he leaves after this year, like I expect him to, go get another like him or bring in a veteran from the portal. Apparently CMW turned away a couple of possible transfers, which was fine for this year. There may be several openings for next year and hopefully the portal will fill any needs that new recruits can't.  I wanted Smith when Archie was coach but I'm fine with trusting CMW to assemble the roster as he sees fit.

I see no reason not to trust CMW and his recruiting 

I think you guys should look at recruiting like I do.  
If you didn’t add a single 2024 freshman just a transfer or two…your team is fine developing the talent you have 

trust the process and player development 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not quite zero, but they have a ways to go to be in IU's Parthenon of greats...

I'd say anyone you'd ask though would deem them more physically ready for the rigors of Big 10 basketball than Smith is... 

the only thing Malik hasn’t shown is consistent 3 point shot and defense which all freshman adjust too 

the roles they played in MV are the same as IU 

still excited to see them against Xavier 

7 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

I see no reason not to trust CMW and his recruiting 

I think you guys should look at recruiting like I do.  
If you didn’t add a single 2024 freshman just a transfer or two…your team is fine developing the talent you have 

trust the process and player development 

This isn't me questioning CMW, to be clear. This is just me pointing out Braden can PLAY. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This isn't me criticizing Woodson. I am PERFECTLY fine with the path we chose. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

Edey won you that game. Marquette’s guards already don’t play any sort of competent defense. You mix that with the constant sagging/swarming of Edey every time the ball got into the lane, it was mostly shooting practice for Smith. Hey played well and took what MU generously gave him but that won’t be a recipe for success against better teams, especially those who have guys who can check Edey.
I’m shocked to see how uninvolved Gillis, Furst and Kaufman have been thus far. Painter needs to get them going quickly. 

How many teams will have guys who can check Edey though?

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If the players are comparable I would take the 4 year players. Like it would have been better to have 4 years of Etwaun Moore over 1 year of Eric Gordon.  I see people say that getting a one and done will help your program moving forward I don't buy it unless you are UK or Duke.  How did Vanderbilt gettt Garland change the programs future.

He didn’t play for them now did he?

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree.  I was posing the great debate of one vs. the other rather than both.  One vs. the other is very much a worthy debate and I can't say with any certainty which is better.  Smith for four years certainly looks to be a very good thing for Turdue, but if JHS jump starts an elite train of point guards at IU, I can't argue against that either.

Like John Wall did for Kentucky. If JHS and Reneau and company really take off you could see IU start a run of top flight recruits. These things can snowball….in a good way.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Then why did we recruit Cupps? 

We've had the Cupps commitment for quite a while. Woodson saw something in him that he liked and offered. And I think his measureables are somewhat better than Smith's. I'm not knocking Smith at all because I wanted him at IU bad. I just think CMW saw something he really liked and we took Cupps. And the kids he is looking at and offering seem to fit a certain template. Going forward, I just don't see CMW making either a first choice type of player.