Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

Just now, IUFLA said:

I think the best matchup would be Geronimo... Sensabaugh is coming off the bench right now so Jordan would probably get his chance...

Kopp maybe of the starters... 

Exactly who I was thinking of. Hopefully Geronimo can be that lick down defender you can stick on who ever is hot

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm with you, but it brings up the age old question, is one season of JHS better than four seasons of Smith?  I'd disagree with anyone who says that A is clearly better than B.

20 years ago I'd have probably agreed with this, but in today's world if you can replace JHS (because it's an incomplete comparison if you don't factor that in), then I think I'd take the year of JHS every time. 

• Like 2

Just now, Madison22 said:

Way back when, after transferring from IU, a former player lost the tip of a finger to a piranha when he reached into someone's fish tank.  I think it was either Simmons or Rich Valavicius.

Anyone know?

If it was Marty, he probably then ate the piranha... 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

20 years ago I'd have probably agreed with this, but in today's world if you can replace JHS (because it's an incomplete comparison if you don't factor that in), then I think I'd take the year of JHS every time. 

Yeah, I realize that I framed it without a complete comparison.  Still, so many unknowns in the replacement making it really hard to say what's better without 20/20 hindsight.

I'm happy with JHS and Cupps and Newton look promising, but seeing a player like Smith excelling like he is makes me think...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Yes...IF, but you can't argue that without 20/20 hindsight.  What if 5 B's bring you a national championship? 

That's why I said you can't say definitively that A is better than B.

No one can say anything with certain. We’ve had plenty of Bs at IU over the past couple decades but few As. Look at  North Carolina…full of As that we tried to recruit and failed. Went to the Championship game. I’ll try it with As for the next couple decades and if we can’t win one…well I’ll concede my point. We just haven’t had national recruits of the JHS and Reneau very often past few years. When we’ve had some we’ve had some of our best teams. I like what we are doing. We have plenty of Bs to give us that grit and continuity from year to year. Those special kids are what give us enough talent to put us over the top. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No one can say anything with certain. We’ve had plenty of Bs at IU over the past couple decades but few As. Look at  North Carolina…full of As that we tried to recruit and failed. Went to the Championship game. I’ll try it with As for the next couple decades and if we can’t win one…well I’ll concede my point. We just haven’t had national recruits of the JHS and Reneau very often past few years. When we’ve had some we’ve had some of our best teams. I like what we are doing. We have plenty of Bs to give us that grit and continuity from year to year. Those special kids are what give us enough talent to put us over the top. 

You have a real knack for stating the obvious. :coffee:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, I realize that I framed it without a complete comparison.  Still, so many unknowns in the replacement making it really hard to say what's better without 20/20 hindsight.

I'm happy with JHS and Cupps and Newton look promising, but seeing a player like Smith excelling like he is makes me think...

Sure these things will always have an element of hindsight, but if we get 1-2 years of JHS leading us to top ten teams  and then his scholarship is used for a good replacement I’d take that over a 4 year guy like Smith. And I like Smith a lot but he’s years away from being the reason Purdue is a top ten team, if he ever gets that good individually.

Also have to factor in that in todays environment with the portal and NIL there’s really no such thing as knowing you’re recruiting a solid 4 year guy. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Please make me a list of teams that can “check” Edey?

certainly not one on one 

I think IU has as talented a front court as anyone….

Purdue might match them if TKR & Furst keep improving 

You guys are better defensively but Purdue might be serviceable 

if Edey gets in foul trouble Purdue is in trouble…,,you guys have enough options I don’t think be guy kills you 

Saint Peters

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Depends on how Woodson plays it. If he doubles him, it’ll come down to others hitting shots. If he doesn’t double him, Edey could go off. Would TJD or Race guard him?

Edey has to play defense also. Either of those guys can manage/frustrate him on offense while making him absolutely miserable having to chase them all over the court on defense/guard the perimeter. There’s a reason he barely played against Iowa in both match ups last year.  

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Sure these things will always have an element of hindsight, but if we get 1-2 years of JHS leading us to top ten teams  and then his scholarship is used for a good replacement I’d take that over a 4 year guy like Smith. And I like Smith a lot but he’s years away from being the reason Purdue is a top ten team, if he ever gets that good individually.

Also have to factor in that in todays environment with the portal and NIL there’s really no such thing as knowing you’re recruiting a solid 4 year guy. 

Can't argue with anything you've said here.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

11 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Edey has to play defense also. Either of those guys can manage/frustrate him on offense while making him absolutely miserable having to chase them all over the court on defense/guard the perimeter. There’s a reason he barely played against Iowa in both match ups last year.  

Curious how they’d manage/frustrate him? He didn’t play as much against Iowa IIRC because they played both Murray’s who could shoot from the perimeter. I wouldn’t put TJD/Race in that category of players you have to worry about on the perimeter. I feel like Edey could sag off of either of them tbh.