Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

While I think IU is the best team in the conference, the schedule differences may push IU to be a top 2-4 team. Like with the Big10 East, would be nice to see more of a balanced schedule with all teams.

Really hope Wisconsin and Iowa finish last in the Big10, tired of them randomly being really good because of random breakout players. 

• Like 2

On 11/3/2022 at 9:25 AM, NotIThatLives said:

This might wind up being  the worst defensive team Purdue has had in Painter's tenure.  Guards are a massive liability.  The bigs will keep them in games and if those guards can hit on kick outs they will win a decent handful of B1G games and be a for sure early exit team if they can find a way to make the tournament.   Probably will as an 8ish seed.  That's my 20 min take.  

I actually think this Purdue team will be a better defensive team than last year tbh. Our frontcourt defense will be better as the combo of Furst/TKR/Edey/Gillis should be better defensively than Furst/Edey/Williams/Gillis. I think Smith will be a solid defender as well. Not sure massive liability is the right term. Inexperienced? Sure. But massive liability seems like a stretch. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I actually think this Purdue team will be a better defensive team than last year tbh. Our frontcourt defense will be better as the combo of Furst/TKR/Edey/Gillis should be better defensively than Furst/Edey/Williams/Gillis. I think Smith will be a solid defender as well. Not sure massive liability is the right term. Inexperienced? Sure. But massive liability seems like a stretch. 

Your saving grace will be the front court.  That backcourt will be out matched in basically every B1G game.  Furman st? had guys blowing by at will.   Maybe they watched the st Peter's tape but it's worse this year.  Painter has built the program will small handy guards so long as he has 7 footer

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

3 of those 4 frontcourt players you list are the same.  So, are you basically saying TKR will be a significant upgrade over Williams on the defensive end?  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I have a hard time seeing an undersized, subpar athleticism true freshman guard being a solid defender if I’m being honest. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

3 of those 4 frontcourt players you list are the same.  So, are you basically saying TKR will be a significant upgrade over Williams on the defensive end?  

The combination of TKR plus Furst playing a bigger role/more minutes yeah. When Edey comes out, Furst and/or TKR will play the 5 and they can be able to switch much better than Edey can. I think Furst and TKR have much more defensive potential than Williams did. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Your saving grace will be the front court.  That backcourt will be out matched in basically every B1G game.  Furman st? had guys blowing by at will.   Maybe they watched the st Peter's tape but it's worse this year.  Painter has built the program will small handy guards so long as he has 7 footer

I think the backcourt has a lot of potential. But it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. 

25 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

In general. I think Smith and Loyer will be very solid for us. Just a question of how soon it happens IMO. 

I liked Smith a lot and wanted him at IU. However, CMW had a different blueprint for what he wanted in his guards. I wish the young man success, but I defer to CMW's direction.

9 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

It’s the best we can do….local kids who will play for little or no NIL money 

I think the NIL will prove to not be that much of a difference maker. Only so much money to go around. Some teams might get guys they normally wouldn't but endorsement money will come in mostly from local markets.  Some guys might get some big payouts up front but like everything in life the newness dies and things will settle into an equilibrium.  

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

What isn't true about my statement. If you don't want to talk about big ten teams then don't read the thread.

Thing is Scott, there is little to no conversation about B1G teams. I come to this thread hoping to read how Michigan or OSU is going to stack up this season. As usual, the thread gets taken over by incessant conversation about our most bitter rival. 

Maybe the title of this thread needs to be changed, or as I have suggested before, maybe there needs to be one titled “For those who want to talk about PUke.”