Mock Drafts

5fouls

It’s amazing to me seeing the transition from college to NBA when it comes to ball handling and extending shooting. The full time emphasis the teams put on those is a big deal. Seeing players in the nba shoot farther out and handle the ball better compared to what I “thought” they could do in college. I think it’s a little more wide open and faster paced, gives them a little more room. I think tjd can develop a good jumper. At worst ur looking at a solid nba role player who rebounds, scores down low, high intelligence, and this year his leadership and approach to the game seems much more focused and intentional. Love what I’m seeing from him. His ability to finish around the rim has improved so far too. Always been good, but so far he isn’t missing a lot of the bunnies he has in the past when pressured. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

It’s amazing to me seeing the transition from college to NBA when it comes to ball handling and extending shooting. The full time emphasis the teams put on those is a big deal. Seeing players in the nba shoot farther out and handle the ball better compared to what I “thought” they could do in college. I think it’s a little more wide open and faster paced, gives them a little more room. I think tjd can develop a good jumper. At worst ur looking at a solid nba role player who rebounds, scores down low, high intelligence, and this year his leadership and approach to the game seems much more focused and intentional. Love what I’m seeing from him. His ability to finish around the rim has improved so far too. Always been good, but so far he isn’t missing a lot of the bunnies he has in the past when pressured. 

NBA does an incredible job of skill development. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

His ability to finish around the rim has improved so far too. Always been good, but so far he isn’t missing a lot of the bunnies he has in the past when pressured. 

28-34 (82%) in the last three games. We haven't seen him just throw the ball toward the basket the way he has at times in the past. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

His ability to finish around the rim has improved so far too. Always been good, but so far he isn’t missing a lot of the bunnies he has in the past when pressured. 

Hadn't thought about that, but it's true... He's not just throwing it towards the rim anymore... 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I'm more and more a believer that TJD will be a rotation player in the NBA a year from now and that JHS will not be.

Barring a shocking turn of events, JHS will absolutely get a solid look in the NBA.

That said, if he were to stay another year and put together a more consistent string of performances, it might elevate him into the High Lottery. Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself of that because I selfishly want him back for another season.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Barring a shocking turn of events, JHS will absolutely get a solid look in the NBA.

That said, if he were to stay another year and put together a more consistent string of performances, it might elevate him into the High Lottery. Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself of that because I selfishly want him back for another season.

I'm not saying he won't make it there eventually, he obviously has a lot of skill, but if you're an NBA team, particularly one picking outside of the lottery, so presumably in a good spot to make the play-offs, what do you want JHS doing? The only thing I see him do at an elite level is create jump shots for himself, and while he's great and getting them, he only college okay at making them. If I'm an NBA team trying to make a playoff run, I do not want to spend a possession for JHS to take a mid-range jump shot.

A lot can change in a year, but I just don't see why he is a one-and-done guy. He's not NBA ready and he doesn't have the speed and jumping ability that makes NBA teams over look lack of readiness and take him anyway. I'll certainly concede that people who make mock drafts spend more time on these things than I do, but I just don't see it.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not thrilled with the Pacers picks. Just amazes me what the draft has come to when I see some of these guys being picked high over guys like TJD.

Scott, I just put it up there to show where JHS is projected to go.  Not to diagnose how the NBA draft works or complain about what the Pacers selections are speculated to be.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I'm not saying he won't make it there eventually, he obviously has a lot of skill, but if you're an NBA team, particularly one picking outside of the lottery, so presumably in a good spot to make the play-offs, what do you want JHS doing? The only thing I see him do at an elite level is create jump shots for himself, and while he's great and getting them, he only college okay at making them. If I'm an NBA team trying to make a playoff run, I do not want to spend a possession for JHS to take a mid-range jump shot.

A lot can change in a year, but I just don't see why he is a one-and-done guy. He's not NBA ready and he doesn't have the speed and jumping ability that makes NBA teams over look lack of readiness and take him anyway. I'll certainly concede that people who make mock drafts spend more time on these things than I do, but I just don't see it.

Completely agree. Certainly has that “it” factor but really needs to become a more consistent shooter by limiting his bad shots, limiting his turnovers, and I don’t think another year in Clif’s weight room would be a bad thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Not thrilled with the Pacers picks. Just amazes me what the draft has come to when I see some of these guys being picked high over guys like TJD.

Pacers could use OG Anunoby, or the closest thing to him in this draft. With all their picks I could see them taking a flyer on TJD or Edey at some point. Need depth up front. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rico said:

Scott, I just put it up there to show where JHS is projected to go.  Not to diagnose how the NBA draft works or complain about what the Pacers selections are speculated to be.

Oh come on Rico, you knew that Scott would go after that post like a bear to honey.

• Haha 4

So I am going to preface this I selfishly want JHS to stay another year. The reason is that another year under the tutelage of Woody could mean he becomes a monster his sophmore year that no one can stop. He will become an absolute threat on all three levels have another year of maturity on his passing and vision which is already exceptional and his defense. His passing will become I think phenominal and those tough or head scratching passes this year will look like a piece of cake next year. Also his defense will become better to knowing what to expect. I also think he will find his killer instinct next year as well and become the closer we have lacked for so many years. You could see glimpses of that this year. He takes over a game and finishes it. I think though if I was him and basically was guaranteed a lower first round like 21st to 32nd I would jump. That means he will have a year or two to study under championship caliber teams while developing his own skills with getting used to the speed of the NBA. This will set him up to have the best possibility to score a huge second contract instead of trying to meander his way through a rebuilding process or dysfunctional programs which may put undue stress on him and cause him to falter.

TJD I think will continue to expand his game with shooting. Playing at the next level I think will help him cause he will have something to prove which really pulls out the best of him. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I'm more and more a believer that TJD will be a rotation player in the NBA a year from now and that JHS will not be.

Looking through that list of names, weak draft.  The whole drafting on potential thing wastes a bunch of time and money IMO.  The lottery is either Overtime Elite teenagers, college freshman teenagers, or foreigners.  I know what I am getting with a senior and I would honestly take that over half of what these teens may turn into.

That's just me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Looking through that list of names, weak draft.  The whole drafting on potential thing wastes a bunch of time and money IMO.  The lottery is either Overtime Elite teenagers, college freshman teenagers, or foreigners.  I know what I am getting with a senior and I would honestly take that over half of what these teens may turn into.

That's just me.

If you're talking the Lottery, I don't think the data really bears out you know what you're getting with a senior, or it bears out that you're getting an average at best, to below average NBA player. 

I mean, look at the All-Star game. There's two players in the entire game that played beyond two years of college. 

The top line NBA players are the one and done, international guys that almost all came into the league as teenagers. 

Edit: where I'm with you is the backend of the first round and 2nd round. A lot of solid back-end rotation guys that were seniors and just understand the game in those ranges. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If you're talking the Lottery, I don't think the data really bears out you know what you're getting with a senior, or it bears out that you're getting an average at best, to below average NBA player. 

I mean, look at the All-Star game. There's two players in the entire game that played beyond two years of college. 

The top line NBA players are the one and done, international guys that almost all came into the league as teenagers. 

Edit: where I'm with you is the backend of the first round and 2nd round. A lot of solid back-end rotation guys that were seniors and just understand the game in those ranges. 

100%. Take risks with your high picks, take guys that have some discernible skill you'll be able to use already with the later picks. 

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

There were a whole bunch of duds picked to get to those couple All Stars.  

8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

There were a whole bunch of duds picked to get to those couple All Stars.  

I think you'd find there are far more duds coming into the NBA as seniors vs underclassmen. 

Look at the straight from High School trend from the mid-to-late 90's through the mid-2000's. That was really successful in terms of a high percentage of those players turning into anything from legit, multi-contract rotation players all they to all-time great legends.