St. Francis Post Game

Inequality

I won't be shocked if by the end of the year MR is on the floor in crunch time more than Race. That's not a knock on Race at all, I think MR is just that good.

I don't think they'll switch in the starting lineup because they're both really good and I think Woody will give deference to the senior in a situation like that. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And Malik is better than 95% of them 

I certainly don't want to overstate it, but it's possible that JHS is on the level of EJ as a freshman and MR is as good as any freshman big we've had, sans probably Zeller, in a long time. Not saying MR is better than NV, TB, or TJD, but I think he is very much on the level of those guys as freshman. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Looking at the +/-, you can see the second unit really did provide a boost when they came in

I'm not going to read too much into that.  It's something commonly seen where the totally overmatched opponent hangs around for a while.  But, after the initial rush, the fresh bodies the 2nd unit provides overcome the tiring starters or weak bench of the overmatched team.

I think our 2nd unit is very good, but doing that against UNC, Kansas, or the top of the Big Ten is a different story.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not going to read too much into that.  It's something commonly seen where the totally overmatched opponent hangs around for a while.  But, after the initial rush, the fresh bodies the 2nd unit provides overcome the tiring starters or weak bench of the overmatched team.

I think our 2nd unit is very good, but doing that against UNC, Kansas, or the top of the Big Ten is a different story.

I commented in the game thread how well the second unit was defending. I don't see that being a regular occurrence but it does speak to the quality of our depth.

• Like 1

Galloway, Bates, Malik, JG .... has a chance to be a big time unit off the bench. I think we have 9 guys with minutes set in stone. Does Gunn or Leal push for mins with the 2nd unit or do we roll with 9? (I don't actually care)... It just seems we are pretty set rotation wise. Lots of interchangeable parts. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Galloway, Bates, Malik, JG .... has a chance to be a big time unit off the bench. I think we have 9 guys with minutes set in stone. Does Gunn or Leal push for mins with the 2nd unit or do we roll with 9? (I don't actually care)... It just seems we are pretty set rotation wise. Lots of interchangeable parts. 

I think Gunn gets decent minutes as the 10th guy.  I think what our depth does is allows guys with nagging injuries to get some extra rest. 

For example, Bates tweaks an ankle.  Gunn can step in with little dropoff.  Or, if Malik has the flu, Duncomb can grab some extra minutes and we can maintain the 4 man rotation of bigs.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think Gunn gets decent minutes as the 10th guy.  I think what our depth does is allows guys with nagging injuries to get some extra rest. 

For example, Bates tweaks an ankle.  Gunn can step in with little dropoff.  Or, if Malik has the flu, Duncomb can grab some extra minutes and we can maintain the 4 man rotation of bigs.

Right. We are definitely better in roster spots 6-11 than we were last year. I just don't necessarily believe Gunn will be in the rotation come late Jan. Not necessarily a knock on him. 

No worries though. I love our top 9 and the balance that they seem to bring. The depth in the front court is real. 

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

Right. We are definitely better in roster spots 6-11 than we were last year. I just don't necessarily believe Gunn will be in the rotation come late Jan. Not necessarily a knock on him. 

No worries though. I love our top 9 and the balance that they seem to bring. The depth in the front court is real. 

The thing about carving out a 9 man rotation is that injuries, illness, and discipline will impact virtually every game.  Based on that theory, you need 10 or 11 players to effectively run a 9 man rotation each and every game.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The thing about carving out a 9 man rotation is that injuries, illness, and discipline will impact virtually every game.  Based on that theory, you need 10 or 11 players to effectively run a 9 man rotation each and every game.

Perfectly fine with me. Idk how you go through a season with 6 or 7 guys, anyway. More good players = better team. 

But, above all else... we have 9 guys that deserve mins. We have roles for 9 guys, no question. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Leal saw most of his exhibition minutes with the walk-ons. There is no way he is going to be a rotation guy this year. I could see Gunn getting plenty of chances if we struggle shooting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Definitely agree - I'd like to ensure even a guy like Duncomb is getting minutes in these early games so when there is an inevitable injury down low or a matchup like PU where we need his size, we can plug him in and he doesn't look like he's never played basketball. 

Early in the year, play a lot of guys and let them get comfortable, but later in the year tighten down the rotation and play the best 8-9 guys who are playing really well. 

• Like 2

On 11/4/2022 at 7:43 AM, IUFLA said:

boxfinal.jpg.b83ddb92f1eba5f46aa6f03ecad933bf.jpg

There's IU's line

Why isn't the 'plus/minus' rating adjusted by minutes played?  That seems like an obvious and necessary consideration.

I think plus/minus is a valuable but dangerous statistic in the sense that it is very easy to misinterpret it.  Nevertheless, it doesn't make any sense to me to ever look at it without dividing by minutes played.

Since I did the math, I'll share it.  The top three and bottom three (well, 2 out of 3) are pretty interesting.

Player minutes  +/- p/m per 40
Geronimo 17 30 71
Trey G 20 32 64
Tamar 22 34 62
Race 17 20 47
Leal 6 7 47
MR 20 23 46
CJ 15 17 45
Shipp 4 4 40
Childress 4 4 40
JHS 22 21 38
Trayce 21 17 32
Xavier 15 11 29
Kopp 17 9 21
Burke 1 -4 -160

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i am really excited about Reneau, but also interested to see him play vs legit teams.  honestly the guys he played against in the exhibitions probably weren't a whole lot better than some of the teams he played against in HS because of the program he played with right?

Probably worse in a lot of cases.