St. Francis Post Game

Inequality

43 minutes ago, andy_puiu said:

Why isn't the 'plus/minus' rating adjusted by minutes played?  That seems like an obvious and necessary consideration.

I think plus/minus is a valuable but dangerous statistic in the sense that it is very easy to misinterpret it.  Nevertheless, it doesn't make any sense to me to ever look at it without dividing by minutes played.

Since I did the math, I'll share it.  The top three and bottom three (well, 2 out of 3) are pretty interesting.

Player minutes  +/- p/m per 40
Geronimo 17 30 71
Trey G 20 32 64
Tamar 22 34 62
Race 17 20 47
Leal 6 7 47
MR 20 23 46
CJ 15 17 45
Shipp 4 4 40
Childress 4 4 40
JHS 22 21 38
Trayce 21 17 32
Xavier 15 11 29
Kopp 17 9 21
Burke 1 -4 -160

To your point, plus/minus is a valuable stat over time but in a one-game snap shot it doesn't tell a ton. Even then, it's a very incomplete stat devoid of context. 

After two exhibitions against lesser teams we still have a lot of questions. We see the talent and potential but not a remotely close to finished product. So what do we think we know?

TJD and Race will lead the way. JHS looks to be as advertised. MR has much better footwork than expected. X is not sharp yet. The rest are showing signs of improvement. 

I want to say the second team will be able to hold or increase leads unlike last season. It may end up being the key to their success. The depth this season is night and day from last season. 

What I need to see is a mentally tough defensive monster that can take their show on the road, and a team that can find ways to score even if the three pointers are not falling.

They need to kick it into high gear fast with the schedule they face. No easing into the season.

Go Hoosiers!

9 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

After two exhibitions against lesser teams we still have a lot of questions. We see the talent and potential but not a remotely close to finished product. So what do we think we know?

TJD and Race will lead the way. JHS looks to be as advertised. MR has much better footwork than expected. X is not sharp yet. The rest are showing signs of improvement. 

I want to say the second team will be able to hold or increase leads unlike last season. It may end up being the key to their success. The depth this season is night and day from last season. 

What I need to see is a mentally tough defensive monster that can take their show on the road, and a team that can find ways to score even if the three pointers are not falling.

They need to kick it into high gear fast with the schedule they face. No easing into the season.

Go Hoosiers!

You can say that about every team in the country that they aren't a finished product. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Go Hoosiers!

Everyone wants to talk about key to the season.  You just nailed it.  Be a top 5 defense and you are a top 10 team.  Mess around and be a cute team and be a top 25 defense, that limits the ceiling.  This still isn't a team that's going to put up points in a hurry.  Not without sniffling defense it's not.  Defense and points off turnovers 

8 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Everyone wants to talk about key to the season.  You just nailed it.  Be a top 5 defense and you are a top 10 team.  Mess around and be a cute team and be a top 25 defense, that limits the ceiling.  This still isn't a team that's going to put up points in a hurry.  Not without sniffling defense it's not.  Defense and points off turnovers 

Just curious, but why can't this team put up points in a hurry? We'll probably be better than our competition at 3 if not 4 positions most nights.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Just curious, but why can't this team put up points in a hurry? We'll probably be better than our competition at 3 if not 4 positions most nights.

3 point barrages like Hulls, Watford and company couple drop 20 on you real fast. But this better be a bet defensive team or it won't matter.  That's why defense and points off turnovers is most important for this team to meet it's maximum potential.   Tell me what you're would think is more important as a team?

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

3 point barrages like Hulls, Watford and company couple drop 20 on you real fast. But this better be a bet defensive team or it won't matter.  That's why defense and points off turnovers is most important for this team to meet it's maximum potential.   Tell me what you're would think is more important as a team?

I don't disagree that defense is the most important thing, I just don't understand why we can't put up a lot of points in a hurry.

It might look different than how the Crean teams did it, but that's far from the only way to have an explosive offense. Turnovers, as you said, can certainly be a big part of it but we have several guys who can get out and run off of misses (or maybe even makes?). 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't disagree that defense is the most important thing, I just don't understand why we can't put up a lot of points in a hurry.

It might look different than how the Crean teams did it, but that's far from the only way to have an explosive offense. Turnovers, as you said, can certainly be a big part of it but we have several guys who can get out and run off of misses (or maybe even makes?). 

I think the defense will lead to offense.  I hope that is the teams mindset as well because if it is, they will win a lot of games.  That year I spoke of we were 19th in d and 2nd in o.  Last year they were 95 and 24.  Those both need cut in at least half.  Maybe we have too high of expectations.