Morehead State Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Monday November 7th 7pm EST 

Where: Assembly Hall, Bloomington Indiana 

TV: BTN+ (My final $3.33 of the year to them!)

Article on Morehead St and IU with a good synopsis of a rebuilding Morehead St team...

" Morehead State went 23-11 last season but is in rebuilding mode after star big man Johni Broome transferred to Auburn. Broome set a program record with 131 blocked shots and had 23 double-doubles while averaging 16.8 points and 10.5 rebounds.

Starting guard Skyelar Potter also departed and is now at Jacksonville State.

Guard Jake Wolfe (5.8) is the lone returning starter from a program with 11 newcomers.

Guard Mark Freeman is expected to play a leading role. He has previously played for Tennessee State and Illinois State. He averaged 8.8 points last season for Illinois State.

An intriguing addition is big man Alex Gross, who was an NAIA All-American at Olivet Nazarene. Gross compiled 2,021 points, 1,226 rebounds, 426 assists and 363 blocked shots in his four seasons at the school in Illinois."

They also lost Ta'Lon Cooper who we'll be seeing later this year at Minnesota...

Coached by Preston Spradlin in his 7th year (92-88)

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Article on Morehead St and IU with a good synopsis of a rebuilding Morehead St team...

" Morehead State went 23-11 last season but is in rebuilding mode after star big man Johni Broome transferred to Auburn. Broome set a program record with 131 blocked shots and had 23 double-doubles while averaging 16.8 points and 10.5 rebounds.

Guard Jake Wolfe (5.8) is the lone returning starter from a program with 11 newcomers.

Guard Mark Freeman is expected to play a leading role. He has previously played for Tennessee State and Illinois State. He averaged 8.8 points last season for Illinois State.

An intriguing addition is big man Alex Gross, who was an NAIA All-American at Olivet Nazarene. Gross compiled 2,021 points, 1,226 rebounds, 426 assists and 363 blocked shots in his four seasons at the school in Illinois."

They also lost Ta'Lon Cooper who we'll be seeing later this year at Minnesota...

I'm going to take a stab here. Is Mark Freeman the son of our former player Tony Freeman? Just curious is all.

Regarding game. All I want for these types of games is two things. Stay injury free and flow. Flow being transition basketball, flow in setting up/knocking down open looks,etc....

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Coach Woodson said (paraphrasing) he pulled X aside after the game and told him he didn't have to stress over doing everything, that he had excellent pieces around him and he could just concentrate on just doing his job...

How well he does that and accepts his role, may be the biggest key to the season 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

How well he does that and accepts his role, may be the biggest key to the season 

Agreed. I feel very comfortable with what we will get night in and night out from TJD, Race, Kopp, and JHS. X is the wildcard that I fear may not be as consistent. 

Looking at the reserves, it is similar except with Bates the unknown instead of X. I see those two as going off in certain games and struggling in others. If those two can be consistently solid I will be ecstatic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

My biggest take on X is that he desperately wants to be that player a coach has to have on the floor and not the bench. He often goes faster than his body lets him and ends up out of control. He is probably realizing that this year's team IS greatly improved in many areas and his services most likely may be reduced a bit over last year. Bottom line, Schifino IS the best point guard on the team, hands down....and should cut into X's minutes at that position. He has to be able to come in and produce on both sided of the ball when he is called on. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Alex Gross's family will be sitting in my 4 court-level seats for this one.  Church friends and Alex played at Hauser nearby.  Had a chance to play overseas but did the grad transfer to Morehead instead.

First time I have ever violated my policy of no opposing fans in my seats but this seemed like a legitimate exception - the family is STOKED!  Also, I informed all of those around me in my seats last evening and all are cool with it.  

That said, Go Hoosiers!!!!!!

• Like 4

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

I'm SUPER STOKED! A good friend of our just offered my wife and I 4 tickets (row 20) and a parking pass, no charge! Of course I thankfully took them....lol. 

My son and I were able to grab two tickets and a parking pass for the Bethune-Cookman game next Thursday.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, DWB said:

TDH has an article on MSt and at the end there is a ranking for "tempo". Moorehead is ranked 301 in tempo. Sounds like they are very...lets say "deliberate". 

Could be an interesting test for our defense. Maybe a precurser for Wisky?

If that's the case, seems like a pretty high O/U for all the bettors out there

• Like 1

Thrilled that the regular season is finally here. Anything can happen, but have a good feeling about this team. Not saying final four or anything, but just a successful season that we can all be proud of.

Like others have stated, I’m intrigued to see how X plays is this one. Hasn’t looked that good in the exhibitions, but he started off last year slow as well. I know we have JHS, but we still need a good X to have a chance to go far. 

Won’t be able to watch the game live because my son has basketball practice, but can’t wait to watch it when I get home! Go Hoosiers!!

1 hour ago, DWB said:

TDH has an article on MSt and at the end there is a ranking for "tempo". Moorehead is ranked 301 in tempo. Sounds like they are very...lets say "deliberate". 

Could be an interesting test for our defense. Maybe a precurser for Wisky?

I wonder if that will still hold true with Broome gone. They ran everything through him. 

In a mismatch game I'm looking for how many easy baskets and open shots IU can get vs how many late shot clock attempts they are forced to take. Also looking for the reverse on D. Does the other team get open or challenged shots? Do they have to take forced late shot clock attempts? Finally, does IU control the boards?

Hoping for a clean game but expecting some sloppy play early.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 12:28 PM, eddy4iu said:

Alex Gross's family will be sitting in my 4 court-level seats for this one.  Church friends and Alex played at Hauser nearby.  Had a chance to play overseas but did the grad transfer to Morehead instead.

First time I have ever violated my policy of no opposing fans in my seats but this seemed like a legitimate exception - the family is STOKED!  Also, I informed all of those around me in my seats last evening and all are cool with it.  

That said, Go Hoosiers!!!!!!

Mrs. Gross was on of my son's favorite teacher. Great Family

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Like others have stated, I’m intrigued to see how X plays is this one. Hasn’t looked that good in the exhibitions, but he started off last year slow as well. I know we have JHS, but we still need a good X to have a chance to go far. 

Rest assured, X could have a stat line of 27/10/14 and zero turnovers and CoachShep will be on here trashing X for playing hero ball.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Thrilled that the regular season is finally here. Anything can happen, but have a good feeling about this team. Not saying final four or anything, but just a successful season that we can all be proud of.

Won’t be able to watch the game live because my son has basketball practice, but can’t wait to watch it when I get home! Go Hoosiers!!

JHS is on a scouting report now, though. JHS has plenty of growth to do, as well.