Through the Exhibitions

What have been your thoughts so far? I know it’s just exhibitions so far, so the competition isn’t great, but still fun to take a look at. Some questions I thought might be fun to dive into:

- What or who has impressed you the most so far?

- Offense improved from last season?

- Will the Freshman class be better than anticipated?

- Is this the most complete team since IU in quite some time?

- What concerns do you still have?

- What one player can take this team to win the Big10 and/or far in the Tourney based on improvement or better than expected? 

- If IU is to win the Big10/make a deep Tourney run, what has to change from last season? If you say better shooting, please provide a secondary answer lol. 

• Like 1

JHS is the best wing/backcourt freshman at IU since Eric Gordon.  

This has the potential to be the most complete IU team since '92-'93.  It probably does not have the shooting of the Zeller, Watford, Oladipo team, but I think it has more depth.

Other than shooting, I'll say the two things that must improve for us to make a deep run are consistency, and dont take this the wrong way, coaching.  It only stands to reason that Coach Woodson will make improvements over last year, just like players do.  Doesn't mean he wasn't good last year, just that experience matters.

My concerns are primarily injuries.  An injury to TJD would seriously cap our ceiling, while an injury to others will trickle down and Rob us of depth.

• Like 3

I think Coach Woodson's approach is perfect...

Here are the goals...

Big 10 Championship

National Championship

Here is how we strive for the goals 

Prepare in practice 

Take each game one at a time. Always be game ready. CMW said it in the post game. There might be times you don't play, and if you sulk and grouse about it, you won't be ready when we do need you. When you get playing time make the most of it. 

Coach Woodson knows leadership, but he has to have the talent, just like every other coach, to win.

That said, we have to improve our defense over last year. Beyond shooting, we have to shoot FTs over 70%. And we have to be tough and have that "we're not going to be beaten" attitude. Wisconsin certainly wasn't the most talented team in the Big 10 last year, but they were mentally tough. Weird on an experienced team that it seems to be the freshmen that embody that the most... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

CMW said it in the post game. There might be times you don't play, and if you sulk and grouse about it, you won't be ready when we do need you. When you get playing time make the most of it. 

I think CMW is preparing some veterans to play behind JHS and Reneau. How they respond to that will go a long way to determining the ceiling for this team.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I think CMW is preparing some veterans to play behind JHS and Reneau. How they respond to that will go a long way to determining the ceiling for this team.

I think that's where kids like Kopp and Leal are so valuable...

Kopp is a leader. The last play of the 1st half against Marian, JHS musta been out of position on an out of bounds play, and Miller let him know it. As they're walking to the tunnel, Woody went up to JHS and said something, and then Jalen slapped Miller's hand, like "good call."

Also, I said Miller has to hit them when he gets them...2-2 from 3 last night. I know every kid wants to play, but winning trumps all. 

Anthony and Miller are both great teammates... And that matters

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

I mentioned this in another thread but I'll restate it here. My main concern is the up and downs of Xavier and, to a lesser extent, Bates. If they can increase their efficiency and minimize their 2 of 7 shooting games while keeping turnovers down we will be in great shape.

Concern #2 is the mental toughness @IUFLA brought up. That will need to be learned throughout the year.

Lastly, is the emergence of a playmaking scorer to get you the clutch buckets at the end of a game. Last year that fell to X and TJD. I'm thinking JHS will take care of that this year. We'll see how he does against KS and NC. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Will be interesting to see Bates vs TG & Gunn for minutes by big ten time 

Agreed. And also, Kopp's minutes, depending on how each of these players is shooting and playing. I think Miller may need to shoot better than the 36.1% from 3 that he did last year to hold onto his minutes. When you consider that over his four years in college, he has shot .360 from 3 overall, it's not a sure thing that he improves.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Once the season starts, which starter will normally be the last to be substituted out?  Last night it was JHS.  Is that a product of simply getting the freshman more court time?  Or, is it an indicator that he meshes better with the 2nd unit than X does?

I think it’s neither. I think it’s we want one of X or JHS on the court almost at all times, and JHS chemistry with MR who was coming in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Once the season starts, which starter will normally be the last to be substituted out?  Last night it was JHS.  Is that a product of simply getting the freshman more court time?  Or, is it an indicator that he meshes better with the 2nd unit than X does?

I’m pretty sure X had two fouls early so that might have contributed to that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think Coach Woodson's approach is perfect...

Here are the goals...

Big 10 Championship

National Championship

Here is how we strive for the goals 

Prepare in practice 

Take each game one at a time. Always be game ready. CMW said it in the post game. There might be times you don't play, and if you sulk and grouse about it, you won't be ready when we do need you. When you get playing time make the most of it. 

Coach Woodson knows leadership, but he has to have the talent, just like every other coach, to win.

That said, we have to improve our defense over last year. Beyond shooting, we have to shoot FTs over 70%. And we have to be tough and have that "we're not going to be beaten" attitude. Wisconsin certainly wasn't the most talented team in the Big 10 last year, but they were mentally tough. Weird on an experienced team that it seems to be the freshmen that embody that the most... 

Those freshmen only know winning. They don't intend to start losing now. Everyone else needs to get on that bus.

• Like 7

The surprise for me has been Malik. Not that I thought he would be bad, or even mediocre. But he is a stud! He's so consistent, plays within himself, and won't be rushed.

Another pleasant surprise is CJ Gunn. He can definitely shoot, and his defense is improving, even from one ex game to the one last night. JHS is a player, but he gets beat alot on defense by being faked out. Needs to correct that. Normally in a good position, but then gets beat, or doesn't put enough presssure on the ball. That'll get better with time.

Re-watched the game from last night, and our rebounding as a team sucked. No block outs, no attempts to block out, just relied on our height. Not a good habit to get into.

Still....I'm pumped for this team. Lots and lots to work on, but the pieces are there. And it all starts with being locked in between the ears.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m pretty sure X had two fouls early so that might have contributed to that. 

Or his 30 missed jumpers in 2 game with his 15 turnovers. Just guessing at the numbers. This team goes as far as XJ takes them. We need good X every night and if thats passing up open 3's for the next guy, someone needs to tell him. He is really aiming his shot right now, you can tell by how slow he is shooting it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

JHS is the best wing/backcourt freshman at IU since Eric Gordon.  

This has the potential to be the most complete IU team since '92-'93.  It probably does not have the shooting of the Zeller, Watford, Oladipo team, but I think it has more depth.

Other than shooting, I'll say the two things that must improve for us to make a deep run are consistency, and dont take this the wrong way, coaching.  It only stands to reason that Coach Woodson will make improvements over last year, just like players do.  Doesn't mean he wasn't good last year, just that experience matters.

My concerns are primarily injuries.  An injury to TJD would seriously cap our ceiling, while an injury to others will trickle down and Rob us of depth.

If XJ stops shooting 3's, the shooting has been pretty good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Or his 30 missed jumpers in 2 game with his 15 turnovers. Just guessing at the numbers. This team goes as far as XJ takes them. We need good X every night and if thats passing up open 3's for the next guy, someone needs to tell him. He is really aiming his shot right now, you can tell by how slow he is shooting it.

Good X takes us further than bad X, but I disagree they need good X every game to win. Maybe last year they did. But with JHS, I think X can have an off night and we can still win. We haven't had a PG like him in long time. He's the real deal. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I disagree they need good X every game to win.

There's a chance that by mid-season, Xavier will only be the 4th best player on the team.

Or not.  We'll see how the freshman do against much better competition, especially when other coaches have had time to watch them on film.

1 minute ago, Madison22 said:

There's a chance that by mid-season, Xavier will only be the 4th best player on the team.

Or not.  We'll see how the freshman do against much better competition, especially when other coaches have had time to watch them on film.

He might struggle on defense, but what freshmen don't. He's got a little bit of everything on offense. Enjoy it while it lasts, this guy is an NBA player, and most likely sooner than later. 

• Like 1

obviously i'm really excited about the season.  don't know why anyone wouldn't be.  of course i am guarded because i am scarred for like as a Cubs fan.  can't ask for much more from the exhibitions, but also hard to take too much from the inferior opponents.  hard to imagine that Reneau can do that again legit big men, but it is super encouraging to think of him being in any time Race or TJD are out and also getting significant minutes vs. back up posts.  as noted before - i am not surprised by JHS in the least.  i was hoping so much that Bates would win Kopp's spot, but at the same time, we need a player like Kopp with this group if he can do his job as a shooter better this year than last. i too love our depth, but admittedly, i still live in the old school of basketball and hope that A. we don't play more than 8-9 guys significant minutes in big, close games.  we should have plenty of not so close games and mop up minutes to get other guys experience  and B. really wish we would sit guys when they are making consistently bad decisions or having really poor games.  i know that's not how basketball is anymore, but i don't mean bury them on the bench.  just wish coaches were still allowed to pull a guy out for a few minutes to send a message and reward another guy off the bench.  the idea that you can't do that because it will hurt guys' confidence and you can only sub by a made up sub pattern will never make sense to me.  oh well, what i really meant to say was Go Hoosiers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

obviously i'm really excited about the season.  don't know why anyone wouldn't be.  of course i am guarded because i am scarred for like as a Cubs fan.  can't ask for much more from the exhibitions, but also hard to take too much from the inferior opponents.  hard to imagine that Reneau can do that again legit big men, but it is super encouraging to think of him being in any time Race or TJD are out and also getting significant minutes vs. back up posts.  as noted before - i am not surprised by JHS in the least.  i was hoping so much that Bates would win Kopp's spot, but at the same time, we need a player like Kopp with this group if he can do his job as a shooter better this year than last. i too love our depth, but admittedly, i still live in the old school of basketball and hope that A. we don't play more than 8-9 guys significant minutes in big, close games.  we should have plenty of not so close games and mop up minutes to get other guys experience  and B. really wish we would sit guys when they are making consistently bad decisions or having really poor games.  i know that's not how basketball is anymore, but i don't mean bury them on the bench.  just wish coaches were still allowed to pull a guy out for a few minutes to send a message and reward another guy off the bench.  the idea that you can't do that because it will hurt guys' confidence and you can only sub by a made up sub pattern will never make sense to me.  oh well, what i really meant to say was Go Hoosiers!

The thing is that Reneau is used to going up against top talent in practice at Montverde and most games he played there. Most teams they played were full of D1 players and had legit Big men.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is that Reneau is used to going up against top talent in practice at Montverde and most games he played there. Most teams they played were full of D1 players and had legit Big men.

And he has been banging against Race and Trayce the last 5 months.  There is only one team with a higher ranked front court in the country.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

And he has been banging against Race and Trayce the last 5 months.  There is only one team with a higher ranked front court in the country.  

Link 

"As preseason All-American Trayce Jackson-Davis put it, 'He was killing everyone. We couldn’t guard him.'

'Me and Race [Thompson] were like, 'How are we guarding this dude?'' Jackson-Davis said." 

That coming from an All Big 10 Defensive Team selection from last year... 

• Like 5