IU Season Officially Starts

It’s finally here!! Been ready for some IU hoops, especially with the Colts and Blues doing poorly lol. With that, what are some of your favorite memories as we get the season started?

- Favorite Player

- Favorite Game Attended

- Favorite Family Memory

Those are just some ideas to discuss, but you don’t have to limit it to just that. Excited to get this season started!

• Like 3

Favorite player-George McGinnis 

Steve Alford is a close second 

Favorite game attended-First one in 1963 vs Illinois. Jimmy Rayl, Tom and Dick Van Arsdale, and Jon McGlocklin... IU won and scored over 100. I was 5...

Favorite Family Memory-My Dad dancing in our living room in 1976 after the National Finals. That was so out of character for him. But, I guess that's also where I got my love for IU basketball... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

Favorite Player - Tom Coverdale (AJ Guyton second)

Favorite Game Attended - Hulls’ second season at home vs Michigan. Team came away with a hard fought victory. Normally I only go to lesser games lol. 

Favorite Family Memory - I have 2. Last season, I took my two young sons to their first ever iubb game against Nebraska. Couldn’t ask for a better memory with my boys. Second is watching the IU vs Kentucky game at home with my dad. 1st time I got to watch one with him in awhile, and to have it end of the WatShot, it was a great celebration together lol. My dad is very mild mannered, and to see him get excited was awesome! 

Miss me some Buffa Louies!!! 

Edited by JaybobHoosier
  • Like 3

Jimmy Rayl

1976 second Michigan game

Watching Kirk Haston's buzzer beater 3 to beat then #1 Michigan State on tv with my dad.  He was 94 and seldom watched IU games live because he found them stressful.  But that day I convinced him to watch.  He was sooo happy.  That was 2001 and he passed two years later.

• Like 3

Favorite Player: This is tough - best player I saw - IT. Favorite overall - probably Calbert. Tough SOBs - Coverdale, M. Lewis, Sheehey

Best in person game: 2013 Second round NCAAT against Temple at Dayton Arena. Hoosiers didn't play well overall and had no answer for Khalif Wyatt, but Oladipo nailed the clutch three with 13 seconds left to survive and advance. It was a nail biter (Hoosiers trailed with under 3 minutes left) and the environment in the smaller venue at Dayton Arena was insane.

My Dad and older brother were both Purdue fans, so not many great family memories.

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 1

Favorite player - This is an ever evolving thing for me.  My actual first favorite player was Mike Woodson.  Smart, Oladipo, Yogi and some others have all taken a turn over the years.

Favorite game attended - I was fortunate to attend the first 4 ever Big Ten Tournaments in Chicago.  While those usually turned out to be disappointing for IU, nothing could compare to the overall experience shared with a friend in Year 1 and my brother in years 2-4.  We watched every minute of every tournament game all 4 years.

Like others, most of my Bloomington games have been the cupcakes when students are out.  I did get to see Juwan Morgan's triple-double.  The most exciting game was against Purdue in the 90's when freaking Chad Austin beat us on a shot with just a couple seconds remaining.  I also got to see us thrash UK once in the Hoosier Dome.

Favorite Family Memory - I have 2.  The aforementioned Big Ten Tournaments with my brother.  And, the first game I took my son to.  As passionate a fan as I am, he totally outpaces me.  He was in his teens the first time I got him up there, and it was one of those cupcake games, but he still absorbed it all like a small child at Christmas.  We've been a total of 8-9 times since.

Gonna create a new memory on Thursday.  He and I have tickets for the Bethune-Cookman game.

• Like 1

- Favorite Player - Steve Alford

- Favorite Game Attended - probably the Final Four game in 2002 at the Georgia Dome

- Favorite Family Memory - all of the kids running down the hall of the hotel and jumping in the pool with our clothes on after winning the 1987 championship... honorable mention to getting mad at my Mom (who passed away when I was 14) because she would get nervous down the stretch of a close game and leave the room because she couldn't take it!  

• Like 1

- Favorite Player: This one is pretty tough, TJD is honestly making a very strong case for himself at this point. I LOVED watching EJ and he was a great dude, and a freshman the same year as me so that was fun. AJ Guyton is probably the first guy I have a good memory of. I was a big Sheehey fan, too. 

- Favorite Game Attended: Probably the game we beat Purdue by 37 in West La La in 2013. 

- Favorite Family Memory: My first child was born in late January 2016, and for whatever reason I have a very vivid memory of watching and holding her during the Kentucky game in the tournament that year. 

• Like 2

Favorite player- Buckner. Someone mentioned toughness and the players listed would all fall in line after Quinn.

Favorite game attended- saw the 74-75 team beat Iowa. Just seeing that team play for the first time live was witnessing the purest form of basketball.

Family moment— have told this story on here before. My father-in-law was not much of a sports fan, yet alone an IU fan. We sat and watched the 87 Semifinal game where Alford and company beat UNLV at their own game. He was into the game just as much, if not more than I was. One of the few close times I had with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Favorite player - This is an ever evolving thing for me.  My actual first favorite player was Mike Woodson.  Smart, Oladipo, Yogi and some others have all taken a turn over the years.

Favorite game attended - I was fortunate to attend the first 4 ever Big Ten Tournaments in Chicago.  While those usually turned out to be disappointing for IU, nothing could compare to the overall experience shared with a friend in Year 1 and my brother in years 2-4.  We watched every minute of every tournament game all 4 years.

Like others, most of my Bloomington games have been the cupcakes when students are out.  I did get to see Juwan Morgan's triple-double.  The most exciting game was against Purdue in the 90's when freaking Chad Austin beat us on a shot with just a couple seconds remaining.  I also got to see us thrash UK once in the Hoosier Dome.

Favorite Family Memory - I have 2.  The aforementioned Big Ten Tournaments with my brother.  And, the first game I took my son to.  As passionate a fan as I am, he totally outpaces me.  He was in his teens the first time I got him up there, and it was one of those cupcake games, but he still absorbed it all like a small child at Christmas.  We've been a total of 8-9 times since.

Gonna create a new memory on Thursday.  He and I have tickets for the Bethune-Cookman game.

I wanted to put a heck yeah behind each paragraph! But the question is, who here on HSN is your son? Or are you keeping HSN a secret from him so he doesn’t know about all your Ex’s?

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I wanted to put a heck yeah behind each paragraph! But the question is, who here on HSN is your son? Or are you keeping HSN a secret from him so he doesn’t know about all your Ex’s?

As far as I know, he does not post on here.  He does read it though.  He figured out who I was on the board by helping me during the HSN Fantasy Football draft.

• Like 1

I wondered the other day if IU has any footage of McGinnis playing for the Hoosiers, because I feel like sportswriter Tommy Holmes did when he talked about Babe Ruth...

“Some 20 years ago, I stopped talking about the Babe for the simple reason that I realized that those who had never seen him didn't believe me.” 

I remember when the Pacers won their second ABA championship (1972). When the game was all but over McGinnis brought the ball up the floor dribbling between his legs every step. No one, not even guards did that at that time, much less a 6'7 235 lb force of nature...

Oh, to see him grab a rebound and go the length of the floor and either throw it down through the hoop (dunking was illegal then, but as long as his arm didn't contact the rim, they didn't call it) or do a behind the back pass to a teammate one more time...

He was a special player... 

• Like 1

Favorite players: Alford, Cheney and Scott May.

Favorite game: at Mackey Arena in 76. I’ll never forget the fast break between May and Wilkerson as IU came storming back from a 1st half deficit - highlight at the 50 sec point of the video below.

Family memories: any and all games watching with my two sons!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kRMuICyXRuY

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
Change

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I wondered the other day if IU has any footage of McGinnis playing for the Hoosiers, because I feel like sportswriter Tommy Holmes did when he talked about Babe Ruth...

“Some 20 years ago, I stopped talking about the Babe for the simple reason that I realized that those who had never seen him didn't believe me.” 

I remember when the Pacers won their second ABA championship (1972). When the game was all but over McGinnis brought the ball up the floor dribbling between his legs every step. No one, not even guards did that at that time, much less a 6'7 235 lb force of nature...

Oh, to see him grab a rebound and go the length of the floor and either throw it down through the hoop (dunking was illegal then, but as long as his arm didn't contact the rim, they didn't call it) or do a behind the back pass to a teammate one more time...

He was a special player... 

Or seeing Big George dribble down the floor and pull up to drill a one handed jumper. Freak of nature 

• Like 1

- Favorite Player - Calbert Cheaney or Brian Evans. Too tough to choose. 

- Favorite Game Attended - IU/Iowa during the AJGuyton era. Can’t remember which year, but it was while my wife and I were attending IU. 

- Favorite Family Memory - watching IU games with my grandparents. They introduced me to IU basketball in 1975. Started a life-long love affair for me. My grandmother is now 92 and still does not miss IU games. 

• Like 1

Favorite player: There are so many. Steve Alford comes to mine, Daryl Thomas I always thought got the most out of his ability.

Favorite game was IU beating Auburn in NCAA tournament. When Auburn tried to rough up Alford and he lite them up. 
Favorite memories were NCAA championships. My favorite was Keith Smart and the SHOT.

Favorite players: May, Wilkerson, Tolbert, Cheney and Bailey

Favorite game: Indiana at Michigan State, 2013 when the Hoosiers  came from behind in the final minutes to pull it out. My good friend kept the stats for Michigan State Football and Basketball and gave me his tickets and parking passes every year. Indiana always lost at Breslin and I had pretty much given up when they pulled it out. Great game, great finish and all of us Indiana fans went crazy. TV Teddy was officiating the game and it was quite obvious that he thought everyone in the Breslin came to see him. What a jackass!

Best Memories: I never missed a game on television. Right after I got married in 1973 my then wife stripped naked and stood in front of the television while the Hoosier's were on. I politely asked her to get out of the way so I could watch the game. Needless to say she wasn't real pleased with me. I wish she would of divorced me right then and there.

For many years when the game was on the family vacated the premises. 

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Favorite players: May, Wilkerson, Tolbert, Cheney and Bailey

Favorite game: Indiana at Michigan State, 2013 when the Hoosiers  came from behind in the final minutes to pull it out. My good friend kept the stats for Michigan State Football and Basketball and gave me his tickets and parking passes every year. Indiana always lost at Breslin and I had pretty much given up when they pulled it out. Great game, great finish and all of us Indiana fans went crazy. TV Teddy was officiating the game and it was quite obvious that he thought everyone in the Breslin came to see him. What a jackass!

Best Memories: I never missed a game on television. Right after I got married in 1973 my then wife stripped naked and stood in front of the television while the Hoosier's were on. I politely asked her to get out of the way so I could watch the game. Needless to say she wasn't real pleased with me. I wish she would of divorced me right then and there.

For many years when the game was on the family vacated the premises. 

Oh if only for a "Pause" button back in the day!  Sounds like you certainly could have benefited and I can think of a few times that domestic strife over watching my Hoosiers live could have been avoided.  LOL!

• Like 1