Morehead State Post Game Thread

KDB

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Really strong first performance for the team. So fun seeing the talent level has been upgraded so much!

Obviously its just one game, it's really early, and we're really good. I'd say my biggest concern for how good this team can he is mostly just identity. How will they carve out an identity and what will it be?

I understand our biggest strength is our inside depth, but we also have to carve out a perimeter identity. We can't play through the post all of the time, it's just not how the game is played anymore. 

I don’t like how few 3's were taking. Our starting backcourt combined to take 2 3pt attempts (X and JHS took 0) and our frontcourt took 57% of our shots. 

We need to put up more 3's and run more through JHS, X, Bates, etc.

I agree with all of this. I think CMW has stated the importance of the three point shot enough that I think he will figure that part out. You know probably better than anyone, with your NBA experience, that CMW understands how the game needs to be played. I have great confidence that CMW is the guy to get IU where we all want to go.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

It would be nice to have a few sets ran for Kopp, especially when he’s in a groove like he was at one point tonight. Maybe just because it was the first game of the season we’re waiting to implement some sets until we see some stiffer competition.

I hear you, though I'm not as worried about sets, more just the identity of the team. 

Not even really worried, as KoB said this is our best team in awhile. More just nit-picking about our ceiling for discussions sake. 

With that said, in my opinion this needs to be a more balanced offense to really be a great team. JHS and X need to be our leading shot takers after TJD. 

We need to use JHS/X and TJD/Reneau in a more perimeter oriented PnR game as opposed to playing through TJD, Race and Reneau in the post. 

Not saying we don't do the above, but it needs to be more PnR then playing through the post, and we need to figure out how to take more 3's out of that style. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I agree with all of this. I think CMW has stated the importance of the three point shot enough that I think he will figure that part out. You know probably better than anyone, with your NBA experience, that CMW understands how the game needs to be played. I have great confidence that CMW is the guy to get IU where we all want to go.

Agree, I have faith in Woodson. Love what he's doing!

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

May be, I did notice him passing up some open shot's tonight, to either make the drive or do the drive and dish.

Let's admit, so far, there seems to be one hell of a large adjustment needed compared to last years (last decade) team! It'll take a few games. We are deep!

That was my doing. lol.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I hear you, though I'm not as worried about sets, more just the identity of the team. 

Not even really worried, as KoB said this is our best team in awhile. More just nit-picking about our ceiling for discussions sake

With that said, in my opinion this needs to be a more balanced offense to really be a great team. JHS and X need to be our leading shot takers after TJD. 

We need to use JHS/X and TJD/Reneau in a more perimeter oriented PnR game as opposed to playing through TJD, Race and Reneau in the post. 

Not saying we don't do the above, but it needs to be more PnR then playing through the post, and we need to figure out how to take more 3's out of that style. 

Same here. And yes, I’d like us to be a little more multidimensional in how we get our post guys touches. It doesn’t quite show yet due to the size of our comp, but we’ve seen TJD struggle against the Kofi’s of the world when he’s just going 1v1 down low. If we can use the athleticism of our bigs that’s a major plus.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Same here. And yes, I’d like us to be a little more multidimensional in how we get our post guys touches. It doesn’t quite show yet due to the size of our comp, but we’ve seen TJD struggle against the Kofi’s of the world when he’s just going 1v1 down low. If we can use the athleticism of our bigs that’s a major plus.

Yeah, we played best last season with XJ and TJD in the PnR game, not when we ran through TJD on the block. 

Now with JHS we have two guys that can run the PnR game with our bigs. 

I still shake my head at how fast XJ is in person, like 95mph on the court. Free throws and we only out rebounded that team by 5, concerning. Race did not want to be there, watching him, lazy on the boards, miller took one from him, lazy shot and lazy passing. All kept him on the bench much of the 2nd half. MR might be Big Ten Frosh of the year, not JHS. Great to see Kalb Banks play with confidence, we'll love him before he leaves here, did not hesitate tonight.

I need to touch on how freaking bad the 3 refs were all night. They will get someone hurt when the Big Ten starts.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I still shake my head at how fast XJ is in person, like 95mph on the court. Free throws and we only out rebounded that team by 5, concerning. Race did not want to be there, watching him, lazy on the boards, miller took one from him, lazy shot and lazy passing. All kept him on the bench much of the 2nd half. MR might be Big Ten Frosh of the year, not JHS. Great to see Kalb Banks play with confidence, we'll love him before he leaves here, did not hesitate tonight.

I need to touch on how freaking bad the 3 refs were all night. They will get someone hurt when the Big Ten starts.

Refs were terrible, didn't matter though. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Refs were terrible, didn't matter though. 

Both ways...both coaches spent much of their timeouts bitching at them. Shocked their coach made it the whole game. When he got the tech there wasnt even a foul. On the flagrant call the bald ref told the other refs to hurry up they were wasting time. The Ref that called it put his hand up to him to back him off, never seen anything like it. I had my license for years and never seen another official say anything like that before.

I did have the head of NCAA officials tell me guys were afraid to Ref IU games when Mike Davis was the coach because he was unstable. LOL.

• Haha 1

So admittedly I only watched the highlight clip on YouTube so I didn't get the full scope of everything but it seemed like our perimeter defense got lost on switching or over helped which led to easier buckets on the perimeter or a dump down to the post for an easy 2. This was Morehead State so I am hoping we can clamp down more on our perimeter defense in the upcoming games. I don't want our guys to let them get comfortable from deep at all or do like we did in the past and let an 8th 9th or 10th deep player go off for a season and sometimes a career high in points. Once again this is only what I saw from the highlights video so take what I am saying with a grain of salt. Also for the love of all that is good can we please please please make our free throws. They are called free for a reason. I'm just asking for a reasonable number nothing outrageous like 70% for the team. 

The good takeaways from this are everyone is willing to make the pass and be selfless. It seems like everyone is more comfortable with the offense and defense. People seem to be finding their roles better besides maybe Xavier. I love how deep this team is. It reminds me of the 80 mens olympic hockey team. When our guys get tired time for a line change. I know a little different but still the comparison holds. Our freshmen are proving to be more poised and mature than their years. Which I will take a wait and see approach for the tougher teams. Tamar Bates Jordon Geronimo both look like they are about to break out into what everyone imagines them to be capable of. I feel like the next couple years are going to be looking bright as well cause if we lose Renau and JHS CJ Gunn and Kaleb Banks look like they could pick up the slack from losing those two. So it seems like Woody is building our team for not just one year ala Crean but trying to piece together layers that will make an impact years 234. I mean honestly I am nitpicking cause this team looks poised for a good if not great run this year! I just hope they have that fight put in them by Woodson that when they get popped in the mouth they pop them right back and don't let up, that killer instinct!

Edited by ButlerHoosier
Spelling

JHS and Malik are going to give teams fits this year. And it was nice to see Banks hit some shots late. JHS’ mid-range jumper is silky smooth. Love having players with that shot. Kopp looked great on his two threes as well and TJD just looks like he is on a mission. 

Rough start, but the bench took care of things when they came in for that long stretch in the first half. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Our freshman class is impressive.  Reneau is very mature for his age.  

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

JHS and Malik are going to give teams fits this year. And it was nice to see Banks hit some shots late. JHS’ mid-range jumper is silky smooth. Love having players with that shot. Kopp looked great on his two threes as well and TJD just looks like he is on a mission. 

Rough start, but the bench took care of things when they came in for that long stretch in the first half. 

This is what impressed me so much re Malik. He recognizes the matchup right away. If someone who is just not physically able to guard him is on him, he just powers them down and flat punks them. If it's a bigger, stronger kid, he uses the finesse part of his game so well.

He sticks his nose in there for the tough rebounds, and his defense, while not perfect, is much better than I thought (at least at this level of competition).

• Like 5

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

This is what impressed me so much re Malik. He recognizes the matchup right away. If someone who is just not physically able to guard him is on him, he just powers them down and flat punks them. If it's a bigger, stronger kid, he uses the finesse part of his game so well.

He sticks his nose in there for the tough rebounds, and his defense, while not perfect, is much better than I thought (at least at this level of competition).

Agreed, I am already in the Malik/JHS fan club. Malik is just not fussed by anything and he looks like he’s having fun. 

I think teams are going to be in for a rude awakening when TJD sits and they expect the post to get easier. Malik is going to surprise some people.

• Like 3

Just now, Lostin76 said:

Agreed, I am already in the Malik/JHS fan club. Malik is just not fussed by anything and he looks like he’s having fun. 

I think teams are going to be in for a rude awakening when TJD sits and they expect the post to get easier. Malik is going to surprise some people.

They won't be surprised for long. Malik can PLAY. He will quickly be on a scouting report!

• Like 3