Jump to content

Bethune Cookman Pre-Game Thread


IUFLA
 Share

Recommended Posts

When: Thursday November 10th 8:30 pm EST 

Where: Assembly Hall, Bloomington Indiana 

TV: BTN 

The Wildcats are coming off a 89-58 loss to Iowa in Iowa City. Picked 8th in the SWAC. Lead by guards Marcus Garrett and Zion Harmon, and center Dylan Robertson in the Iowa game with all 3 in double figures. Guard Joe French was picked by SI to be the SWAC player of the year, but only had 3 points in 29 minutes vs the Hawkeyes... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found this interesting...

"On June 19, 2007, Theus was hired by the Maloof brothers and guaranteed three years as head coach of the Sacramento Kings. On December 15, 2008, Theus was fired by the Kings"

No wonder the Kings have struggled... They can't even figure out a calendar... 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did a quick google search with Woodson and Theus. Seems they played together, have a strong lifelong friendship. Small Youtube clip on Theus/Woodson. I think it's great to bring old friends like Theus, give their program a payday while helping out an old comrade.

I'm starting to notice a trend with some of our "easy" games whether exhibition or otherwise. Either a connection to IU or to Woodson. All solid moves.

Regarding game. Same as last night is all I want to see. Injury free and flow. 

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excited as I will get to watch this live! I was happy the bench got so much run in the 1st game, and hope it continues if we blow out teams. They need the experience but also not to burn out our main guys by the end of the season.

I’ve seen some concern with Race’s lack of competitiveness. I would reserve judgement right now, as I can see him being someone who wants the other guys, especially the newcomers to get adjusted quickly. He’s been amazing for us, so I wouldn’t write him off yet. Let’s see what happens when the games mean a little more. I’m a little more concerned with X, but he started slow last year as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Excited as I will get to watch this live! I was happy the bench got so much run in the 1st game, and hope it continues if we blow out teams. They need the experience but also not to burn out our main guys by the end of the season.

I’ve seen some concern with Race’s lack of competitiveness. I would reserve judgement right now, as I can see him being someone who wants the other guys, especially the newcomers to get adjusted quickly. He’s been amazing for us, so I wouldn’t write him off yet. Let’s see what happens when the games mean a little more. I’m a little more concerned with X, but he started slow last year as well.

I'm not concerned with Race. I do think he was going through the motions vs Morehead but you know he will be reliable when it matters. Lets see how he looks Thurs.

With X, I'd like to see him go the first half with 0 fouls and turnovers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Excited as I will get to watch this live! I was happy the bench got so much run in the 1st game, and hope it continues if we blow out teams. They need the experience but also not to burn out our main guys by the end of the season.

I’ve seen some concern with Race’s lack of competitiveness. I would reserve judgement right now, as I can see him being someone who wants the other guys, especially the newcomers to get adjusted quickly. He’s been amazing for us, so I wouldn’t write him off yet. Let’s see what happens when the games mean a little more. I’m a little more concerned with X, but he started slow last year as well.

Yeah.  People need to rethink any Race criticism.  On the matter of X, I hesitate to post this because I'm sure I'll get a like from CoachShep, but last night, there was one time when someone checked in to take him out, he kind of pointed to himself like he was surprised.  When he realized it was him, he kind of sulked towards the bench.  And, not 10 seconds after he checked out there was a big play on the court, and the camera caught the bench.  Every player on the bench was up on their feet cheering and halfway onto the court except one.  He never even stood up.    

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah.  People need to rethink any Race criticism.  On the matter of X, I hesitate to post this because I'm sure I'll get a like from CoachShep, but last night, there was one time when someone checked in to take him out, he kind of pointed to himself like he was surprised.  When he realized it was him, he kind of sulked towards the bench.  And, not 10 seconds after he checked out there was a big play on the court, and the camera caught the bench.  Every player on the bench was up on their feet cheering and halfway onto the court except one.  He never even stood up.    

I really want him to do great, but I worry about this years transition for him having a bad impact. It makes you wonder if having a better team and another play-making guard might hurt X. That could be completely dumb to think, but he definitely seems like he has ti prove himself right now instead of just playing his role. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I really want him to do great, but I worry about this years transition for him having a bad impact. It makes you wonder if having a better team and another play-making guard might hurt X. That could be completely dumb to think, but he definitely seems like he has ti prove himself right now instead of just playing his role. 

It's not dumb to think it.  JHS is that good and I would not be surprised at all if that's not in X's head.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah.  People need to rethink any Race criticism.  On the matter of X, I hesitate to post this because I'm sure I'll get a like from CoachShep, but last night, there was one time when someone checked in to take him out, he kind of pointed to himself like he was surprised.  When he realized it was him, he kind of sulked towards the bench.  And, not 10 seconds after he checked out there was a big play on the court, and the camera caught the bench.  Every player on the bench was up on their feet cheering and halfway onto the court except one.  He never even stood up.    

see, i think things like that are a big deal, but most people jump on me if i criticize a player for doing that.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

In fairness to X, he was leading the celebrating last game when Childress dunked in garabge time.

He was on the bench with the rest of the 1st team in that scenario.  This time he was put off because the rest of the 1st unit was still on the floor. Different scenarios in my mind.  It's easy to 'lead' when things are good.  Leading when things are not as good takes a different level of commitment.    

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

He was on the bench with the rest of the 1st team in that scenario.  This time he was put off because the rest of the 1st unit was still on the floor. Different scenarios in my mind.  It's easy to 'lead' when things are good.  Leading when things are not as good takes a different level of commitment.    

Just making a whole lot of assumptions based on a video panning the bench for what was probably a few seconds. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just making a whole lot of assumptions based on a video panning the bench for what was probably a few seconds. 

 

Body language coming off floor as well.  Hopefully it was just a one-time thing.  I'm sure he's frustrated he"s struggling with his shot as well, which any competitor would be.  And, we want competitors.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Body language coming off floor as well.  Hopefully it was just a one-time thing.  I'm sure he's frustrated he"s struggling with his shot as well, which any competitor would be.  And, we want competitirs.

So you are saying there is some truth to what @Coach Shephas been preaching?  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Body language coming off floor as well.  Hopefully it was just a one-time thing.  I'm sure he's frustrated he"s struggling with his shot as well, which any competitor would be.  And, we want competitors.

Agree, and that is why I try to always lean to the side of reserving judgment when these types of posts come up in terms of disecting a players attitude based on a snippet of bench video. 

We just have very little context. We don't know why he's upset, if he's actually upset at all. Maybe a coach just leaned into him a bit and he was digesting and thinking about what he needs to do, etc

We just don't know. 

As you said, we need competitors. One reason why I like XJ is that we spent 4 years with Archie watching what seemed like robots on the court with little to no emotion. 

I'll take a guy that flat our cares and plays with passion and energy that I sometimes need to reign in vs a team full of guys I have to try and get going and try to play like they care. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree, and that is why I try to always lean to the side of reserving judgment when these types of posts come up in terms of disecting a players attitude based on a snippet of bench video. 

We just have very little context. We don't know why he's upset, if he's actually upset at all. Maybe a coach just leaned into him a bit and he was digesting and thinking about what he needs to do, etc

We just don't know. 

As you said, we need competitors. One reason why I like XJ is that we spent 4 years with Archie watching what seemed like robots on the court with little to no emotion. 

I'll take a guy that flat our cares and plays with passion and energy that I sometimes need to reign in vs a team full of guys I have to try and get going and try to play like they care. 

Interesting contrast between XJ and JHS...

I haven't really seen Hood-Schifino show any emotion, even when I watched his high school games. Good play? Great, it's over. Bad play? Ok, I'll make the next one... Only after they won the Geico High School Championship did he show some... And even then, it was very reserved...

The kid is all business...

XJ pretty much wears his emotions on his sleeve... Both ways... He's gotten better about not letting bad plays or other players (hello, Trent Frazier) get in his head, but I still think it affects him to some degree... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Interesting contrast between XJ and JHS...

I haven't really seen Hood-Schifino show any emotion, even when I watched his high school games. Good play? Great, it's over. Bad play? Ok, I'll make the next one... Only after they won the Geico High School Championship did he show some... And even then, it was very reserved...

The kid is all business...

XJ pretty much wears his emotions on his sleeve... Both ways... He's gotten better about not letting bad plays or other players (hello, Trent Frazier) get in his head, but I still think it affects him to some degree... 

I think a good team needs a little of both of those personality types. Take the 11-13 teams, Zeller was as stoic as they come, same with Watford and Hulls while Oladipo and Sheehey wore their emotions on their sleeve. 

The 2016 team had Bryant and Troy Williams who were all very emotional, while also having RoJo, OG, Morgan and even Yogi could be a little of both. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think a good team needs a little of both of those personality types. Take the 11-13 teams, Zeller was as stoic as they come, same with Watford and Hulls while Oladipo and Sheehey wore their emotions on their sleeve. 

The 2016 team had Bryant and Troy Williams who were all very emotional, while also having RoJo, OG, Morgan and even Yogi could be a little of both. 

It's ok as long as X doesn't let it affect his play... And I think it has a couple of times... 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think a good team needs a little of both of those personality types. Take the 11-13 teams, Zeller was as stoic as they come, same with Watford and Hulls while Oladipo and Sheehey wore their emotions on their sleeve. 

The 2016 team had Bryant and Troy Williams who were all very emotional, while also having RoJo, OG, Morgan and even Yogi could be a little of both. 

What this team doesn't need is player/players "pouting" when they are substituted for.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, rico said:

What this team doesn't need is player/players "pouting" when they are substituted for.

I'm just saying we don't know that he was pouting. We're assuming based on what we thought we saw in a very short video clip. 

The best teammate I ever had between high school and college would yell at teammates, get into it with coaches at times, etc., etc., but he had the respect of the locker room and coaching staff. 

I still years later will see old friends or people I went to school with and they'll talk about what a jerk this guy was and they're surprised when I tell them how much we loved and respected him as a teammate and leader. 

All they saw was what they thought was a hothead on the court. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm just saying we don't know that he was pouting. We're assuming based on what we thought we saw in a very short video clip. 

The best teammate I ever had between high school and college would yell at teammates, get into it with coaches at times, etc., etc., but he had the respect of the locker room and coaching staff. 

I still years later will see old friends or people I went to school with and they'll talk about what a jerk this guy was and they're surprised when I tell them how much we loved and respected him as a teammate and leader. 

All they saw was what they thought was a hothead on the court. 

I don't know if "assuming" is the right word.  I would rather say "speculating" on my end.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm just saying we don't know that he was pouting. We're assuming based on what we thought we saw in a very short video clip. 

The best teammate I ever had between high school and college would yell at teammates, get into it with coaches at times, etc., etc., but he had the respect of the locker room and coaching staff. 

I still years later will see old friends or people I went to school with and they'll talk about what a jerk this guy was and they're surprised when I tell them how much we loved and respected him as a teammate and leader. 

All they saw was what they thought was a hothead on the court. 

I have been hot-headed at times.  I can tell you it stems from a competitive drive to win and to win well.  I held myself to a higher standard than any parent, coach, or teammate.  I blew fuses at myself, coaches, refs, and teammates.   Most of the time it helped us and myself, and a few times it cost us.  I can tell you and my old teammates and coaches would tell you I pushed everyone else and made everyone better.   

Once the chemistry kicks in this won't be in issue at all.  I'm  all for competitive hunger.   Who wants to be taken out after a bad play, let me redeem myself, make 2 good plays in a row, d up my opponent until they are begging  me to get out of their face.   

The one thing X has to knock off is the baiting and nearly fighting crap.  Use all your energy to wear your opponent down wisely, with a competitive will, not a hot head.  We saw very little of that crap over the last 10 games of last season and people were saying if he kept that up he may be the best guard in the league next year.  Let's not forget that.  Feel free to correct me bit the last 10 games of the year carried something like a 17 pt per game, 6 assists and 1 or 2 turnovers with a 40% from 3.  He was locked in.  He'll be there soon.   

Edit. Last 10.  50% from 3.  3.6 rbs, 6.2 assists, 16.6 pts.  Yeah that at minimum 2nd team.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...