Will Malik knock Race out of the starting lineup?

Won't happen unless Race totally falls apart, which I would not expect.  An important factor to keep in mind is the on-the-court familiarity that Race and TJD have.  Race will be more effective playing with TJD than he would be the 2nd unit.  Winning the full 40 minutes is more important than winning the first 6.    

• Like 1

I highly doubt it. I think Malik knew coming in what his role would look like if both guys came back and he was good with it.

He could be 6th Man of the Year this year and an AA next year.

He also came from a program that plays seniors over more talented guys sometimes. As long as they’re all getting good minutes I don’t see why he’d start at this point. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Won't happen unless Race totally falls apart, which I would not expect.  An important factor to keep in mind is the on-the-court familiarity that Race and TJD have.  Race will be more effective playing with TJD than he would be the 2nd unit.  Winning the full 40 minutes is more important than winning the first 6.    

JHS and Malik also have familiarity. To the extent JHS has more minutes with the starters, this would offset some of the Race / Trayce combo.

16 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Woody didn't replace Stewart or Kopp last year, so there's no way in hell he's going to replace X and Race. Just is not going to happen. 

Kopp played decent last night but if he's gonna start, he needs more than 4 shots. That's what he's in the lineup for, to shoot the 3. He did it poorly last year. Decent start this year, but gonna need more from him.

26 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Kopp played decent last night but if he's gonna start, he needs more than 4 shots. That's what he's in the lineup for, to shoot the 3. He did it poorly last year. Decent start this year, but gonna need more from him.

I agree. But I think Woody likes upperclassmen in the starting lineup. He's not afraid to bench them, but since being at IU, Woody has shown he likes a set starting lineup. I don't see any indication this will change any time soon.

35 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

JHS is going to be the best thing that ever happened to Kopp.  Both of the threes Kopp hit last night were directly set up by JHS.  His court vision and understanding of where to make the pass is remarkable.  

• Like 4

I don’t see it happening. If it wasn’t for Race or TJD he would start, but I don’t think he will start over Race. He’s a perfect fit with the 2nd unit/coming off the bench. He’s exactly what was missing last year from the 2nd unit, someone who can score more easily. 

He’s proven himself he could be a starter, but I don’t see him doing that until next year (assuming he’s here for 1 more year). I think JG will get more dunks this year with the defensive help that Reneau commands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

JHS is going to be the best thing that ever happened to Kopp.  Both of the threes Kopp hit last night were directly set up by JHS.  His court vision and understanding of where to make the pass is remarkable.  

Two ball handlers in general is great for Kopp!!! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I don’t see it happening. If it wasn’t for Race or TJD he would start, but I don’t think he will start over Race. He’s a perfect fit with the 2nd unit/coming off the bench. He’s exactly what was missing last year from the 2nd unit, someone who can score more easily. 

He’s proven himself he could be a starter, but I don’t see him doing that until next year (assuming he’s here for 1 more year). I think JG will get more dunks this year with the defensive help that Reneau commands. 

Bringing him off of the bench and leaving JHS in when the first few subs comes in also allows it to be the JHS and Malik show for a few minutes, where as if Malik is starting he isn't going to get as many touches with that group. I'd so much rather him play 17-22 minutes and be the guy during those minutes than play 28 minutes and get less shots than he does in his minutes now.

I don't want to do what Purdue did where they never played Edey and Williams together (they're more limited than MR and TJD, anyway), but look at the numbers those two put up in a time share. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, landrus13 said:

Do you think he will avg much over 8ppg? 

I don't see what starting has to do with the amount of shots he takes. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Do you think he will avg much over 8ppg? 

I don't see what starting has to do with the amount of shots he takes. 

Right. We have four guys capable of making All-Conference in our starting lineup, we don't need Kopp to shoot a lot we need him to play his role. 

• Like 4

Woody covets no mistakes and defensive position. You better play defense. He hates when guys are out of position. Kopp does those things. He’s underrated as a defender too. No chance X gets benched either. I saw a team taking the easiest shots available.(didn’t need many outside shots)They simply took what was given and didn’t force anything. Mid range game is vastly improved too. This team has a glaring problem though. How will he give 10-11 guys minutes and keep chemistry? Good problem to have. Go Hoosiers. 

Edited by Victobmyboy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Malik has shown a nice ability to pass for a big man.  Waiting to see if he can step out and shoot consistently 
TJD is way more athletic than the Purdue centers last year 

His midrange shot is nice. He knocked down a couple of impressive step back jumpers from about 17 ft in the 2nd exhibition. I know they weren’t D1 bigs, but that’s hard for any big to do in practice, let alone live competition.