Will Malik knock Race out of the starting lineup?

Reneau appears to be the better player early in the season.  In fact, an argument could be made that 8 or 9 guys have had a better start to the season than Race.  That said, our best team for 40 minutes has Race on the floor with the starters and Malik on the floor with the 2nd unit. That approach maximizes the value of both players.   

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

Malik is definitely better, but it makes a lot of sense to keep it like it is.  Race is a senior leader.  Malik is getting starter minutes and playing mostly with the 2nd unit as the scorer and against back up posts some as well.  Kind of a perfect set up.  My personal preference is almost always to start my best 5 regardless of position or age, but this just makes sense to me.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

He isn’t going to knock him out of the starting line up, but he might knock him out of the finishing line up. 

4 of Race's 7 shots were 3 pointers and he missed him all. The team doesn't need that. It does need him to shoot (and hit) from outside on occasion but not 4 shots pet have when he's missing and certainly 50%+ of his shots shouldn't be from there 

That probably had at least a bit to do with why Woodson sat him in favor of Reneau this game. We'll see if that becomes common but I think you're correct and it will. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

4 of Race's 7 shots were 3 pointers and he missed him all. The team doesn't need that. It does need him to shoot (and hit) from outside on occasion but not 4 shots pet have when he's missing and certainly 50%+ of his shots shouldn't be from there 

That probably had at least a bit to do with why Woodson sat him in favor of Reneau this game. We'll see if that becomes common but I think you're correct and it will. 

see, this is why i never agreed with posters who say we need Race shooting 3s.  just because he is willing to take them, if he never hits them, that's still 0 points.