JHS

5fouls

I think I remember reading where someone, not a poster here but a scout or the like, said by the time the UNC game rolls around on 11/30 he will be the best player on the floor.  That might just be true.  

Not to derail, but could you imagine how enamored we would be with Reneau if he was the best freshman on the team?  I think how good he is gets lost sometimes because of having TJD & Race ahead of him plus a fellow freshman like JHS.  

• Like 7

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

I think I remember reading where someone, not a poster here but a scout or the like, said by the time the UNC game rolls around on 11/30 he will be the best player on the floor.  That might just be true.  

Not to derail, but could you imagine how enamored we would be with Reneau if he was the best freshman on the team?  I think how good he is gets lost sometimes because of having TJD & Race ahead of him plus a fellow freshman like JHS.  

Hood-Schifino's decision making on offense is impeccable.  He gets the ball where it is supposed to be every single time.  He takes good shots.  He makes the right pass, to the right player, in the right spot.  He may average less than 10 points a game, and Trayce will be named team MVP at the end of the year.  But, if we make the Final Four, JHS will have just as much or more to do with that than any other player.   And, he can make that happen and still not average double figures in points.  

I don't mean to overhype the young man.  But, my instincts are on full alert with this one.   

• Like 3

Just now, Madison22 said:

I agree he looks terrific so far. 

But one of the many things he needs to watch out for is hearing people say how good he is.  Even if it's true.

I hope someone (Coach Woodson?) prepares him for this.

I could be wrong, but I think he knows it already and he still maintains the proper balance on the court.  That confidence is one of the things that helps take him to the next level.  Nothing he does on the court is done with hesitation.  He knows what he wants to do and what he should do every moment he is on the floor.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I truly don't know if there is a better coach to keep a young man grounded than who we have.  

And, to that point, let's give Coach Woodson a lot of credit for knowing how to use a player with this level of special skill.  Not sure any of the other coaches since Knight would be as successful as I think Woodson will be in getting the most out of JHS. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, to that point, let's give Coach Woodson a lot of credit for knowing how to use a player with this level of special skill.  Not sure any of the other coaches since Knight would be as successful as I think Woodson will be in getting the most out of JHS. 

I think some great examples of that are the mid-range curl action that he does for JHS. His shots around the free-throw line are money, and those plays get ran throughout the game. 

Edited by JaybobHoosier
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I could be wrong, but I think he knows it already and he still maintains the proper balance on the court.  That confidence is one of the things that helps take him to the next level.  Nothing he does on the court is done with hesitation.  He knows what he wants to do and what he should do every moment he is on the floor.  

And, in Coach Woodson's words, "he competes." He wants to win, he knows how to win, and he's not going to accept anything else. 

Some of my posts may get misconstrued concerning our 2 senior big guys and effort, but I think Woody sees it sometimes. He chewed Trayce's arse last night when he sent him to the bench. I'd love to know what was said, but it sure wasn't a pat on the back. 

Coach Woodson constantly says what he loves most about all of the freshmen is that they compete. JHS and Malik couple that with advanced basketball skills and IQ. They never "turn it off."

If y'all remember, Coach Woody had to "turn it on" for Trayce a couple of times during the BTT.

I think as the season rolls along and we have success, that competitive streak and that will to win JHS and Malik brought with them from Montverde will infect the whole team... 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And, in Coach Woodson's words, "he competes." He wants to win, he knows how to win, and he's not going to accept anything else. 

Some of my posts may get misconstrued concerning our 2 senior big guys and effort, but I think Woody sees it sometimes. He chewed Trayce's arse last night when he sent him to the bench. I'd love to know what was said, but it sure wasn't a pat on the back. 

Coach Woodson constantly says what he loves most about all of the freshmen is that they compete. JHS and Malik couple that with advanced basketball skills and IQ. They never "turn it off."

If y'all remember, Coach Woody had to "turn it on" for Trayce a couple of times during the BTT.

I think as the season rolls along and we have success, that competitive streak and that will to win JHS and Malik brought with them from Montverde will infect the whole team... 

A huge shift in culture that these freshmen, along with a few others like Galloway, can bring is consistent effort on the court. So many times in the last few years, including last year, is that the team has had issues competing hard for the full 40 minutes. Also, a tendency to play to the opponent's level. The combination of the competitive nature of JHS and Reneau as well as their being used to winning along with the depth they and the other freshmen bring should hopefully help change that. Just that would result in a few more wins.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I'm going to go ahead and throw this out there.  Many of you will think this is way too premature after only 2 exhibitions and a win over a mid-major, but I'm going to say it anyway.

• JHS is the best freshman wing/guard at IU since Eric Gordon.  Gordon was a better scorer and had a more NBA ready body.  But, JHS has the better instincts and court-awareness.
  • In fact.....JHS has the best court awareness and instincts from a freshman wing/guard at IU since Damon Bailey.  And, he's a better athlete than Damon was.
  • Which brings me to my main point........JHS is the most complete freshman guard/wing at IU since I. Thomas, and conceivably could have an Isiah type impact on this team.  

You may think I'm crazy, and maybe I am.  But, I trust my instincts.  I became infatuated with Oladipo after watching him play one quarter of high school basketball on tv.  I knew he was raw, but there was something about him that screamed 'difference maker' to me over the tv screen.  With JHS, it's that feeling times 10.  This is a kid that has what it takes to lead us where we want to be.

Agree with all of this. He just oozes confidence and skill on the court. And these are early games. Just wait until he has a dozen college games under his belt. 

I think his arrival has kind of messed with X a bit, but once X realizes that JHS makes him better too, I’m guessing he course corrects. 

Am just giddy with these two freshman. Can’t remember the last time I’ve felt so excited about IU basketball. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

The only concern is that JHS becomes selfish with the ball. I highly doubt that because Woody won't let it go on for more than a few nano-seconds. But that's the only risk on the horizon I could possibly see....and it's that horizon is not in sight yet.

I don't see that happening,  He played with elite talent and scorers at Montverde, and nothing I've seen on the court so far at IU indicates that any selfishness in his play.  I see the opposite.  He'll make the best play for the team.  Sometimes that will involve just him, while most other times it will include the other players.  

• Like 1

JHS plays with the perfect pace. He doesn’t look like he is moving fast but he gets to where wants and is always on balance. He can stop and create space rise up and drain it from 15 to 18 ft.  He doesn’t over penetrate and get into trouble with a double team. I was impressed that XJ never forced any shots last night or forced any drives. That will be key. We have plenty of guys that score in a variety of ways. There will be a lot of games with 4 and 5 guys in double figures 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

He's Quinn Buckner with a jump shot... 

This was my thought also.

Quinn a great defensive player.  JHS is too.  We'll see if he's in Quinn's league.

JHS and X are one of the best combination of defensive guards IU's had in a long time. 

I think JHS will compliment X well.   X can shoot the 3 if he gets good shots, and once these two get in sync, look out.

I like JHS a lot. He seems to have a complete game. I think he could be a legend at IU if he comes back next year. We still have to see how he plays when the competition is elite also. Actually, that goes for the whole team. We'll find out pretty soon how good we are and how far we can go.

14 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I like JHS a lot. He seems to have a complete game. I think he could be a legend at IU if he comes back next year. We still have to see how he plays when the competition is elite also. Actually, that goes for the whole team. We'll find out pretty soon how good we are and how far we can go.

That’s what I keep telling myself, “Slow your roll, son. They ain’t played anyone yet.” 

But damn, we’ve been waiting a long time for a great team. I can’t help being excited. 

• Like 3

Quinn Buckner would not let his team lose. He was always the steadying influence, but also the take no prisoners leader of his teams.

I hope JHS can become this. Until he, and this team experiences adversity we won’t know how he responds.

Coming from the program that he and Malik graduated from the experiences and expectations that they played under prepared them for the spotlight at an accelerated rate Imo. I think that the maturity in these kids bodes well for this team and if we can continue the pipeline to Bloomington, it should pay in spades down the road 

• Like 3