Bethune Cookman Post Game Thread

Reacher

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Post game courtesy of @the Daily Hoosier... 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/watch-woodson-galloway-kopp-discuss-win-over-bethune-cookman/ 

I think Miller is having some fun at the expense of the press towards the end... Watch Trey's face when Miller starts talking about his golf game 😂

I’m not sure how nobody in the room was laughing at that. Tough crowd lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This season definitely feels different. Different from the last 2 years because you could see flaws in our ‘easy’ games that ultimately haunted us later in the season. Different than Crean’s hot start in his last year because that teams defensive struggles were still apparent…even in those wins. 

Our weaknesses that needed to be addressed, shooting, transition, movement and wing play, seem to be vastly improved. These are the question marks that kept me from getting too excited. We’ll learn a lot next week. IF this is the team we are hoping it to be, we should control the Xavier game. Yes, they are good, but we are better. We have veterans who should be able to go into a hostile road environment and not get rattled.

I so badly want this team to have that 2012 team swagger and confidence: know that they are better than their opponents and play like they are better than their opponents - embrace the moment and impose their will. The skill and talent is there, the mindset must follow. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 6

Still excited about last nights performance. I like that coach is giving a lot of minutes to the bench/young guys early, which will pay off a ton in the long run. We all saw what happened to Race, and that was not his fault at all. 

If this team can shooting at least 35% from 3 every game, and it come from a collective group, this team will go far this season. Every spot on this roster has someone who is capable of going off, and we have guys on the bench who can fill in without much of a drop off. 

One thing I saw on social media is Tamar is still not 100%, dealing with a back issue. There were times where his shot looked fairly flat, but was happy to see one go in for him. Getting Kopp and Galloway confidence from deep is huge for this team. Spaces the floor out and gives more room for our drivers and bigs to operate. 

• Like 3

Ok, one more thing after watching the presser...

Coach Knight didn't have a great relationship with the press. We all know that. He let them know that though they were there to ask questions about basketball, they really didn't know that much about the game. I always knew that was by design. Coach Knight didn't want his players listening to the press who would always tell them how great they are. He didn't want them reading their press clippings... He wanted them to listen to him... 

Coach Woodson isn't nearly as acerbic, but he does pass the same message. Hey, you're not in practice every day. I am. You're not getting into these kids' heads...

And to be honest, I think that's what Miller's schtick about his golf game was all about. I loved it. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ok, one more thing after watching the presser...

Coach Knight didn't have a great relationship with the press. We all know that. He let them know that though they were there to ask questions about basketball, they really didn't know that much about the game. I always knew that was by design. Coach Knight didn't want his players listening to the press who would always tell them how great they are. He didn't want them reading their press clippings... He wanted them to listen to him... 

Coach Woodson isn't nearly as acerbic, but he does pass the same message. Hey, you're not in practice every day. I am. You're not getting into these kids' heads...

And to be honest, I think that's what Miller's schtick about his golf game was all about. I loved it. 

Totally agree on CRMK. I always, even as a pretty young kid that Knight played to keep HIM in the lime light so the players could get out of it, a little. It was a [press] defense that he worked as the coach.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Totally agree on CRMK. I always, even as a pretty young kid that Knight played to keep HIM in the lime light so the players could get out of it, a little. It was a [press] defense that he worked as the coach.

After a recent experience of just laying it down I think he probably enjoyed it too. After so much nitpicking it feels pretty good to tell someone to plant their head in their ass. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And, to me, that's more of an acknowledgement of the coaching philosophy and attention to the mental side of the game by Mike Woodson than it is a jab at Archie Miller... 

Would pointing out that Rhode Island lost to Quinipiac earlier this week be a jab at Archie Miller?  :coffee:

Edited by 5fouls

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/watch-woodson-galloway-kopp-discuss-win-over-bethune-cookman/ 

I think Miller is having some fun at the expense of the press towards the end... Watch Trey's face when Miller starts talking about his golf game 😂

Work on my tan, I think that helped 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DWB said:

While I'm happy as can be about the way we played in the first 2 games, let's see how good we are @ Xavier, AZ, KU.

If we are in those games at the end to win it, THEN I'll be impressed.

I think about now Xavier,AZ,KU are thinking we’ll know how good we are after Indiana!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Rewatching the game this morning, and one play that helped turn the momentum was led by X. IU forced a shot clock violation at the 11:07 mark in the first half, with the score 16-12 IU. X goes out during the under 12 timeout, but that play really seemed to turn the defensive pressure up! 

That's why he got my MVP vote 😁

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

A lot more length and explosiveness this year. They have to be having great practice sessions. Small sample size but banks gong to the rim the couple times he did was impressive. I think this team knows they are good. Though JHS forced a couple shots, but this would be the game I want him to and get a rhythm. Great game for him tho. Love his and X court vision. We will see how good we are next week. If we can hit 8 threes a game and shoot low-mid 70s from the line, with the defense we have, I don’t see us losing many. 

Might have forced a few of his shots but I will take that because the players look confident taking shots this year. In years past our players were hesitant to shoot.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think he was having some fun, but good golfers will say how important it is to develop a consistent, repeatable swing. The same mental focus on tempo and mechanics would apply to shooting. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson

What did people think about the rotations and the lineups?   Personally, I really liked them.  I think he’s playing the right guys in the right order.  I know I sound presumptuous since he’s the coach.  

Take Bates.  Until proven otherwise he’s in the role he should be.  I’m very happy with how he’s looking.   More enthusiasm.  Committed on D.  Passing better.  But scoring on this level is not like high school.  He’s still got to develop.  

I tell you what though.  CJ Gunn is coming and he’s going to compete.  Maybe not so much this year because of strength and experience but he’s a very nice looking prospect.  I like his tools but maybe more so his competitiveness.  Ditto Banks.  Love, love, love this recruiting class.  

• Like 4