Xavier Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

I was thinking that maybe TJD should be on Freemantle so that Race can "body-up" Nunge, and TJD and come over for the block, rather than risk BS foul calls. But Woody knows best.

I haven't had a chance to watch their game from last night, so if they get after it on D like you say, then a focus on shot/pass fakes at the guard level could do wonders for open shots.

Edited by DWB

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Be interesting to see what Malik does. They really don't have another big off the bench that gets regular minutes. Be hard for them to handle him, I believe... 

I’m just amazed at how mature of a player he is for a freshman.  Great feel with his back to the basket but can face up.  Seems to make good decisions.  Solid basketball iQ.  Good passing ability.  Confident.  Assertive.  

Randle on the Knicks is 6’8 250.   I think Malik can be that type of player in time.  Randle loves Woody.  Woody will develop Malik.  

• Like 1

First road game in a hostile environment. First dose of not getting calls and dealing with a tough crowd. Will be a good test especially for the freshmen.

Interested to see how the rotation works and whether the bench gets shorter. Also watching to see if IU can set the tempo. Guessing the Muskateers want a slower more deliberate tempo than IU prefers.

I know a loss would lead some to abandon ship early. I'm trying to take a more patient approach to these non conf games. Want to see continual improvement before the conf games start.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DWB said:

I was thinking that maybe TJD should be on Freemantle so that Race can "body-up" Nunge, and TJD and come over for the block, rather than risk BS foul calls. But Woody knows best.

I haven't had a chance to watch their game from last night, so if they get after it on D like you say, then a focus on shot/pass fakes at the guard level could do wonders for open shots.

Just the short sample size I saw last night Nunge is more of a 3 point threat, but he's not a drinble-drive guy. Freemantle hasn't taken a 3 yet (shot 26% from behind the arc last year), but his drinble-drive game is pretty solid. 

I've always thought Race was a better defender off the bounce and on the perimeter. Trayce isn't any slouch but I just think Race is a tad better. Our bigs are much more athletic, that's for sure... 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

First road game in a hostile environment. First dose of not getting calls and dealing with a tough crowd. Will be a good test especially for the freshmen.

Interested to see how the rotation works and whether the bench gets shorter. Also watching to see if IU can set the tempo. Guessing the Muskateers want a slower more deliberate tempo than IU prefers.

I know a loss would lead some to abandon ship early. I'm trying to take a more patient approach to these non conf games. Want to see continual improvement before the conf games start.

I'm just curious, why would the bench get shorter? Out of our 9-man rotation, which guy do you want to see get cut out of it? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

When: Friday November 18th 6:00 pm EST 

Where: Cintas Center, Cincinnati Ohio 

TV: FS1

image.png.197e65607b4dba07a0326458c1f01201.png

The Musketeers are 2-0 on the season, coached by Sean Miller

image.png.bdfee68fe9c79a5db638cb7999ebf94b.png

I watched a bit of the game last night vs Montana. Xavier does get after it defensively. I do think we match up well in the frontcourt with TJD/Nunge, and Race/Freemantle. It'll be interesting to see who Kopp guards. My guess is Coby Jones. They go about 9 deep. They're shooting the 3 at a 46% clip so far. Good test for both teams...

Your pre-game threads are the best, IUFLA.  Much appreciated.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51ARiU0uZVL._AC_.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just watched Xavier vs Montana and IUFLA is right. Xavier does get after it defensively. But IMO they are not as good defensively as we are. They haven't seen anything like our swarming defense. But...we haven't seen their level of intensity either. Although, I think if we move the ball with purpose we can get some really good looks, and drive the paint.

Should be a good test for us. But certainly one that we should win, even if it's an away game.

• Like 2

One national ranking of Xavier from a few days ago.

27. XAVIER -- Exiled from Arizona and packing baggage, Sean Miller returns to Cincinnati to coach the Musketeers for his second tour -- after going to four NCAA tournaments from 2004-2009. Miller inherits a tough threesome in junior guard Colby Jones, senior forward Zach Freemantle and 7-foot senior Jack Nunge. Miller is good at what he does and he’s got enough talent to compete for a Big East championship.

5 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Read it again. I don't want the bench to be shorter but I'll be watching to see if it is. 

My question still stands, why would the bench get shorter? Who would get cut?

We have a 9 man rotation right now, that’s not going to change next Friday. The only guy you could cut is Geronimo and he is playing too well. There’s no way we are only play 4 guys the minutes at the 1-3 so Bates and Galloway definitely aren’t having their spot in the rotation taken away. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

We better defend the 3 pt line in this one. They've got guys that can really shoot. Tandy, a guard, went 4-5 from deep last game. Nunge (ex Iowa guy, 7 footer) went 2-3. And 8-14 as a team.

Team had 23 assists on 32 baskets.

And they are really active with their hands, especially if you try to drive on them. They had 11 steals against Montana. I watched  a lot of that game and it was like they were double teaming the drive.

As an aside, Jerome Hunter didn't score, had 4 fouls, 2 TO's and was -4. So obivously, that means he'll go off for 25 against us.