Xavier Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

SIAP but I watched Sean (the crook) Miller's pregame comments and he's gone from saying Wyoming will be us and our fan base will boo us off the floor, to saying we're one of the most complete teams in the country. What a crock.

Anyway, I did find it interesting that he put Gallo as the 3rd best player on the team behind TJD and Race. And Gallo comes off the bench...

1 hour ago, landrus13 said:

Man, I don't know why I'm so nervous for this game. I think IU will win but I just can't get rid of that "IU is gonna lay a stinker on the road" mindset.

Valid reasons to be nervous:

Removing the COVID season, during which Indiana played most of its road games in largely empty arenas, the Hoosiers have just three wins in the last five qualifying seasons against teams that finished ranked in Ken Pomeroy’s national top 50. Only one of those, at Michigan State on Feb. 2, 2019, came against a top-25 opponent.

In nonconference play, the feast has been even leaner. Not since a trip to North Carolina State in 2012 has IU beaten a KenPom top-50 nonconference opponent in a true road game.

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Removing the COVID season, during which Indiana played most of its road games in largely empty arenas, the Hoosiers have just three wins in the last five qualifying seasons against teams that finished ranked in Ken Pomeroy’s national top 50. Only one of those, at Michigan State on Feb. 2, 2019, came against a top-25 opponent.

In nonconference play, the feast has been even leaner. Not since a trip to North Carolina State in 2012 has IU beaten a KenPom top-50 nonconference opponent in a true road game.

I’ve been thinking about that NC St game this week. That game, in my mind, marked a turning point for the program. After the three rough years after Sampson, that win made me believe we were about to take off and start winning games like that on the road again. I’ve thought this game tonight could mark the same turning point for this team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don't know how those stats relate to this year's team. It's a little bit of hand-wringing over something that makes for a splashy TV graphic, but doesn't really impact this collection of players and coaches.

In my mind, a valid reason to be nervous would be if TJD were hurt or if someone was sick. Losing at Duke in 2015 or at Seton Hall in 2018 has no bearing on this year's squad.

I like our chances with this team, this year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I don't know how those stats relate to this year's team. It's a little bit of hand-wringing over something that makes for a splashy TV graphic, but doesn't really impact this collection of players and coaches.

In my mind, a valid reason to be nervous would be if TJD were hurt or if someone was sick. Losing at Duke in 2015 or at Seton Hall in 2018 has no bearing on this year's squad.

I like our chances with this team, this year.

Agree, but look at the games at Syracuse and Wisconsin last year. IU should have won both of those, but peed down their legs. This is a different team, but most of those players are back and the freshmen haven't played a road game. They need to prove that they are a mentally tougher team than they've been in recent years. They have to overcome bad calls and not let it get in their heads. They have to be able to stop runs by the opposing teams. XJ has to play within himself and not get in foul trouble or overreact to a touch foul.

• Like 1

Here's my opinion for the pregame. If we handle our business we should win going away. Depth will take a toll on them. However I will say this and I hope it makes sense. If we lose this game under Crean or Archie it's the here we go again mantra. That thought doesn't enter the brain now. I feel different now. We lose and regroup because it's November....and we have a good team.

Just anxious to see what we do against much better competition. My prediction? 84-63 with it being tight up until the 12 minute mark of 2nd half. 

• Like 3

On 11/14/2022 at 10:52 AM, KoB2011 said:

@Euroclydon - Interested to see how the rotation works and whether the bench gets shorter.

KoB - I'm just curious, why would the bench get shorter? 

@Euroclydon - Read it again. I don't want the bench to be shorter but I'll be watching to see if it is. 

KoB - My question still stands, why would the bench get shorter? Who would get cut?

@Euroclydon - My response still stands. NOBODY said it should be shorter.

Those are all direct quotes from our back and forth, I'm genuinely confused. 

And the bench was shortened. So even though nobody asked for it to be shortened, the reality is that's what happened against Xavier. Now we know.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

How was it shortened? Did we not see the same 9 man rotation we’ve been playing?

One on them played 5 minutes. You can't compare last nights minute totals to the first two games and see the bench was shortened? Sad. I guess if they had a big lead late and put in the walkons you could claim they expanded the bench. Those who watch and understand basketball would have to agree CMW shortened the bench last night.

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

One on them played 5 minutes. You can't compare last nights minute totals to the first two games and see the bench was shortened? Sad. I guess if they had a big lead late and put in the walkons you could claim they expanded the bench. Those who watch and understand basketball would have to agree CMW shortened the bench last night.

I mean I said the minutes distribution would change, and it did, but we played the same 9 man rotation we’ve been playing.

No one would reasonably read the comments you made leading up to the game as simply saying TJD was going to play a lot more than 22 MPG. Shortening a 9 man rotation means less than 9 guys playing…