Xavier Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

My only concern (well, at least my big concern) is that Trayce and/or Race get into foul trouble early. Watched the Xavier Fairfield game this morning, and a lot of ticky tack calls were made underneath the basket, or the Xavier player jumped into a vertical defender and got the call.

If we take care of the ball, and play good defense we should win this one going away.

4 minutes ago, DWB said:

My only concern (well, at least my big concern) is that Trayce and/or Race get into foul trouble early. Watched the Xavier Fairfield game this morning, and a lot of ticky tack calls were made underneath the basket, or the Xavier player jumped into a vertical defender and got the call.

If we take care of the ball, and play good defense we should win this one going away.

Thankfully we have 2-3 backup bigs that can play extended mins. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Preview from Inside The Hall. 

IU favored by only 3 or 4 points.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2022/11/16/three-things-to-watch-for-indiana-at-xavier/

Seems right. 

Think about top ranked teams coming into Bloomington, even when we are "bad" the other team will still only be a 2 or 3pt favorite. ESPN gives us a 50.5% chance to win, I think it's a fair amount higher than that. 60-65%... 3-4pts road favorite, imo, would signify that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I am nervous to say it out loud, but I kind of think we are going to blow their doors off.

A Scott May quote!

During the '76 32-0 season, Sports Illustrated did a cover story on IU basketball.  It talked about the team's utter dominance.  How the defense was so good, other teams gave up trying to score - they were just happy to complete a pass (a great line, btw).

They interviewed players, all of whom kept it cool, as Knight would have wanted.  No bragging, no assumptions about the next game.  Then Scott May put a point on how strong the team was:

"Actually, we are just blowing the doors off everyone."

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

This has been the longest haul in between games ever. 

It really has been. Don't you think we set this weekend up purposely though? Friday and Sunday to prepare for the tournament? I can't think of any other reason we would wait 8 days between games and then play 2 games in 3 days. 

21 hours ago, DWB said:

coming back to this... I think Xavier should be more worried about Nunge or Freemantle getting into foul trouble. I can't imagine they have off the bench, what we have. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It really has been. Don't you think we set this weekend up purposely though? Friday and Sunday to prepare for the tournament? I can't think of any other reason we would wait 8 days between games and then play 2 games in 3 days. 

Can't remember where, but I saw a quote where Woodson said he purposely set the schedule up for this break heading into the weekend. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I think TV (Xavier game) and arena availability dates ( Miami OH game) might have played some into this.  I've seen the Friday/Sunday and Thursday/Saturday set up before but usually with two home games and no travel.