Horrible story out of Virginia

Virginia football shooting updates: Ex-player Chris Jones in custody for killings of three active players

Christopher Darnell Jones Jr. has been arrested as the University of Virginia mourns

By CBS Sports College Football Staff

38 mins ago

Local police have arrested former Virginia walk-on football player Christopher Darnell Jones Jr., a lone gunman who killed three members of the 2022 Cavaliers football team and injured two others on campus Sunday night in Charlottesville, Virginia. Football players Devin Chandler, Lavel Davis Jr. and D'Sean Perry were all fatally shot, according to University of Virginia president Jim Ryan.

Two other players are hospitalized for gunshot wounds with one in critical condition and the other in good condition.

Jones is being charged with three counts of second degree murder and three counts of using a handgun in commission of a felony. UVA police chief Tim Longo was alerted during a Monday morning press conference that Jones was taken into custody. 

Jones is accused of shooting five people on a bus at the Culbreth Garage parking deck on UVA Central Grounds at around 10:16 p.m. ET on Sunday. The shooting occurred following a class trip to see a play in Washington, D.C., according to Ryan. 

Jones is an active student at Virginia but no longer a member of the football team. It appears he was last on the Cavs' roster in 2018. 

A shelter in place order was lifted late Monday morning after the Virginia campus was locked down with classes canceled as a "thorough search" of Jones was completed. Charlottesville City Schools also canceled classes for more than 4,000 local students.

"This is an unimaginably sad day for our community," Ryan said. "The entire university community is grieving this morning. My heart is broken for the victims and their families and for all of those who knew and loved them. They are all in my prayers. When I see our students, I see my own kids. I cannot imagine anything worse for a parent than to lose a child. Please know that we will do everything we can to honor their lives and will come together soon as a community to mourn these losses."

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

very sad story.

Seems fairly weird that he was last on the team in 2018, held a grudge about something for 4 years it would seem and then went on a shooting spree.

I have not seen anywhere that the motive was specifically related to the team.  Could have been an unrelated reason that just happened to involve the players.

• Like 2