Xavier Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, MoyeCowbell said:

There is SO MUCH FROTHING over our role players and their contributions (or lack thereof). To that, there are two points I want to make:

#1 - It's a LONG season. There will be ample opportunity for many guys to have big games as well as off-nights where someone else gets the limelight. That's the benefit of a deep roster, something we all are excited about.

#2 - Our two leaders TJD & XJ had the biggest games. They were expected to play well and contribute at a high level... and they did.

Spot on. Good post.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

There is SO MUCH FROTHING over our role players and their contributions (or lack thereof). To that, there are two points I want to make:

#1 - It's a LONG season. There will be ample opportunity for many guys to have big games as well as off-nights where someone else gets the limelight. That's the benefit of a deep roster, something we all are excited about.

#2 - Our two leaders TJD & XJ had the biggest games. They were expected to play well and contribute at a high level... and they did.

It seems like over the years I see role players and the bench play better at home.  On the road you need your star players to win the game for you.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That win will pay dividends. Xavier will win a lot of games in the BE. 
I don’t blame Malik for the missed FTs. XJ and Kopp should have played two man ball. It should never have been thrown to Malik there. 

Yes.  And malik needed to space out more. 

Good point. Those two needed the ball. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That win will pay dividends. Xavier will win a lot of games in the BE. 
I don’t blame Malik for the missed FTs. XJ and Kopp should have played two man ball. It should never have been thrown to Malik there. 

Derek Coleman missed a huge free throw as a freshman 1987 championship game and went on to be a #1 pick in the draft 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

At the end of the game, when it really matters, Miller Kopp hit a huge 3 and stuck 2 FTs. It was nut cuttin' time (as CMW would say 🙂) and he showed up. 

Basketball is a tough game. We beat a tough team in THEIR gym and even spotted them 4...

You folks that are unhappy, I have no idea why... 

I think we were a tad hard on Miller early in the game.

Theres more that goes into who plays than if shots are going in or not. Coaches tend to look at the inputs as much as the outcomes, fans just look at outcomes typically. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DWB said:

Malik is rapidly becoming a VERY important cog in this wheel. His productivity is amazing for a freshman, and a big at that.

If he hangs around for another year, our post play is in very good hands.

His alley oop to TJD was a great play. A lot of players, especially a freshman in his first road game, would have forced up a shot there. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That wasn't negative but stating what Race should be thinking. This isn't meant to be negative either but tonight should slow down the talk of JHS being a one and done.

I’m glad I wasn’t only one thinking it. It’s obviously a longgg season and he’s only three games in but look at what two years of Woodson has done for TJD’s offense 

My take for whatever that’s worth. First game I’ve seen this year. Couldn’t watch the first two. 

*Big road win, especially for the first tough matchup of the season.

*Not confident we’re going to hit big perimeter shots to be able to beat elite teams. Kopp hit a big one late, but if he doesn’t shoot better he can’t play. Rather see Leal get that time. Bc we certainly aren’t losing anything else by putting Kopp on the bench. Not sure if people noticed it or not, but him going under the screen late allowed Kunkel the wide open three at the top. A senior should know better. 

*TJD was my MVP. Felt like he was a little slow getting into the game early on D, but was top notch other than that. 
*Race was bad. He did have some boards, but was nonexistent otherwise. Hence the reason he wasn’t on the floor late. 
*JHS has a lot of potential for sure. Decision making with shots and some passes weren’t good, but felt he played solid for a freshman. 
*Reneau impressed me. Kid can play. 
*XJ was the usual spark needed, but I couldn’t care any less about that if he’ can’t (once again…happened numerous times last year) make good decisions late in games. The poor decision on the turnover up 6 with 2 min to play and the reach in foul are unacceptable out of a senior. Hope he learns from it, but guessing not bc the same things happened last year. Need him to be smarter, bottom line. 
*TG had an off night for sure. A step slow on D. Wasn’t the typical spark we see off the bench. JG was pretty similar, off night. 
*was really hoping to see more from Bates. Really need him to push Kopp, but his play tonight wasn’t promising. 

A lot of time for improvement. Got a big road win shooting it poorly from outside, not playing the best D, and not exactly getting good performances from most. Promising!

• Like 1

I know a lot of you think Gallo didn't play well tonite. Certainly, he didn't score. BUT...he had the 3rd highest +/- on the team. 4 assists, 0 TO's.

I make it a point to watch only him for a few possessions and his defense overall is excellent. Yes he got beat a bunch tonite, but if you watch him closely, most of his defense is preventing his guy from receiving the ball at all. Most of the other guys put pressure on the ball after their man gets it. TJD is pretty good at prevention as well.

Race used to be, but not so much lately. Hope he comes out of his funk.

• Like 7