Xavier Post Game Thread

KDB

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

At the end of the game, when it really matters, Miller Kopp hit a huge 3 and stuck 2 FTs. It was nut cuttin' time (as CMW would say 🙂) and he showed up. 

Basketball is a tough game. We beat a tough team in THEIR gym and even spotted them 4...

You folks that are unhappy, I have no idea why... 

Miracles happen but I’m agreeing with you twice in one night. Maybe there is hope for 5fouls to not get remarried again… you’re absolutely spot on!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

I know a lot of you think Gallo didn't play well tonite. Certainly, he didn't score. BUT...he had the 3rd highest +/- on the team. 4 assists, 0 TO's.

I make it a point to watch only him for a few possessions and his defense overall is excellent. Yes he got beat a bunch tonite, but if you watch him closely, most of his defense is preventing his guy from receiving the ball at all. Most of the other guys put pressure on the ball after their man gets it. TJD is pretty good at prevention as well.

Race used to be, but not so much lately. Hope he comes out of his funk.

I had the same thoughts. Sure he got beat a couple times but overall I thought his D was good. I was surprised to see some people so adamantly disappointed with him.

3 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I had the same thoughts. Sure he got beat a couple times but overall I thought his D was good. I was surprised to see some people so adamantly disappointed with him.

I think it’s easier to remember the negative sometimes (I’m definitely guilty) than it is the positive. I have no doubt TG will add a lot of value this year, and also have no doubt he was better than I thought he was. 😂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DWB said:

I know a lot of you think Gallo didn't play well tonite. Certainly, he didn't score. BUT...he had the 3rd highest +/- on the team. 4 assists, 0 TO's.

I make it a point to watch only him for a few possessions and his defense overall is excellent. Yes he got beat a bunch tonite, but if you watch him closely, most of his defense is preventing his guy from receiving the ball at all. Most of the other guys put pressure on the ball after their man gets it. TJD is pretty good at prevention as well.

Race used to be, but not so much lately. Hope he comes out of his funk.

He was fine

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think we were a tad hard on Miller early in the game.

Theres more that goes into who plays than if shots are going in or not. Coaches tend to look at the inputs as much as the outcomes, fans just look at outcomes typically. 

Agree that there’s more that goes into who plays but he’s awful on defense, one assist, zero rebounds while going 2-8 and two turnovers. If he’s not hitting shots, what is he contributing?

Investing in Geronimo at the 3 is the move in my opinion. Giving him 5 minutes when Kopp is playing as bad as he played is gross negligence. 

• Like 2

Look. We have to learn how to win. Freshman hace to be tested…our seasoned guys haven’t won a lot of close games over the years….especially on opposing floor. This was a perfect game because it lets us know we need to fix a lot…lots of teachable moments but yet we still won. I still worry about our shooting and always will because we aren’t great shooting team…it will cost us some games but we toughed it out on the road and I’m happy.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I shouldn't either but hope our fans would be better than that. Wonder why so.e people think our fan base is nuts. We should try to be better than UK fans who rip their team all the time.

I’m sure that some recruits were following the game thread and have now ruled IU out as their team of choice 🙄

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I think it’s easier to remember the negative sometimes (I’m definitely guilty) than it is the positive. I have no doubt TG will add a lot of value this year, and also have no doubt he was better than I thought he was. 😂

Fair point for sure. I’m not saying he was stellar by any means either. It will be nice to see him have some high impact games this year.

• Like 1

It wasn’t pretty but I still think this was a solid road win. They were hitting shots that normally don’t fall and we, true to form, left a lot on the table in FTs.  

I’m not sure what Race gives us in this offense and 5 years in, still can’t play competent team defense. I’d really like to see Race and Kopp come off the bench and see if Malik & Geronimo can provide more production. Geronimo is also a huge upgrade on defense and running the floor in transition. 

• Like 2

I'm going to challenge anyone that brings over the top criticism to the board this year.  A poster brings that kind of crap to the board, and I'm going to call him out. 

This is a good team with a good coach.  They won't be perfect, but no team has been since 1976.  And, even that team had some close games with teams they should have blown out.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

A lot of our shots in the first half were in and out, like at least 5-6. Our bench San MR was sub par, Galloway appeared to be a non factor but had 4 dimes. It’d be a whole different conversation had we lost. 

PS, Race, you’ll come out of this funk. We’re all rooting for you. Every 3 you shot was in and out. We believe!

• Like 3

We have to ask ourselves why Woodson had Galloway on the floor tonight is he was as bad as everyone said he was.  The answer?  He wasn't as bad as everyone is saying he was.  

Same with Kopp.  Woody had him in the game when it counted.  So, he felt that was the right player to be om the floor.  If Mike, with all of his experience thinks that, why would I question it from my couch?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We have to ask ourselves why Woodson had Galloway on the floor tonight is he was as bad as everyone said he was.  The answer?  He wasn't as bad as everyone is saying he was.  

Same with Kopp.  Woody had him in the game when it counted.  So, he felt that was the right player to be om the floor.  If Mike, with all of his experience thinks that, why would I question it from my couch?

This

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm going to challenge anyone that brings over the top criticism to the board this year.  A poster brings that kind of crap to the board, and I'm going to call him out. 

This is a good team with a good coach.  They won't be perfect, but no team has been since 1976.  And, even that team had some close games with teams they should have blown out.  

I’m over the top that you are over the top! How dare you call out posters whose God given right to spew crap is stifled ( check out All in the Family, young people) by board Nazis like yourself.😛😛😛😛😛