Xavier Post Game Thread

KDB

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Hard to draw a bead on 3 games 

True, which is why I looked up his HS stats. 52%.

Edit: Here's the link I found for that.

https://www.theseasonticket.com/stats/team_instance/6481348?subseason=755571&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=4568157

It looks like JHS should be a solid FT shooter.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 2

I try not to be too negative. But I don't understand why Kopp gets a pass? He's supposed to be a 3 point shooter and he was 1-4 and 2-8 from the field. That's not good. If he isn't hitting shots, he's unplayable. He had 0 boards and I think 1 assist. I get it that Woody likes to start seniors and guys who have experience but gosh, I find it hard to believe that Reneau or someone else couldn't be better.

Reneau showed a lot of confidence tonight. He looked like our second best big on this roster. Race keeps playing like he did tonight, and he might find himself coming off the bench. But Woody wouldn't do that. So he pretty much knows he's safe no matter what. It was a solid win on the road but IU has a lot to work on like most teams in the country still do. I expect a ton of wins this year. But we'll have to be much better on the road in the B1G.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

I try not to be too negative. But I don't understand why Kopp gets a pass? He's supposed to be a 3 point shooter and he was 1-4 and 2-8 from the field. That's not good. If he isn't hitting shots, he's unplayable. He had 0 boards and I think 1 assist. I get it that Woody likes to start seniors and guys who have experience but gosh, I find it hard to believe that Reneau or someone else couldn't be better.

Reneau showed a lot of confidence tonight. He looked like our second best big on this roster. Race keeps playing like he did tonight, and he might find himself coming off the bench. But Woody wouldn't do that. So he pretty much knows he's safe no matter what. It was a solid win on the road but IU has a lot to work on like most teams in the country still do. I expect a ton of wins this year. But we'll have to be much better on the road in the B1G.

If you sit him  who do you replace him with. Bates didn't show anything tonight and Galloway was already on the floor with him.  He hit a huge 3 and hit both free throws in the last 4 minutes 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, landrus13 said:

Miller played poorly because he had 0 rebs and 1 assist. Race had 8 rebounds and 3 blocks, and played poorly, as well, your words.

Which is it? How can they both have played poorly using the same criteria? 

The bold is pretty false. Race had big time mins cut as early as this evening, and he wasn't awful this evening. Seems clear if he isn't on the top of his game, MR is playing ahead of him. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

They would have had the possession anyway, only the two free throws were extra. 

It does change the momentum. They got the two points back. The break in the action allowed coaches to talk to players and the momentum we build up to fade and give them time to relax and gain composure. Not saying they wouldn’t have made a 3. But we could have came up with a turnover or forced a hurried shot

Don't know if you heard Woody on the post game interview, but he made the comment that both TJD & X hadn't practiced in like 3-4 days due to illness and being banged up.

To play like they did in this game without prep just shows how talented and determined they both are.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If you sit him  who do you replace him with. Bates didn't show anything tonight and Galloway was already on the floor with him.  He hit a huge 3 and hit both free throws in the last 4 minutes 

That is why he is the floor. That is why your ok if he missed the first 3. The coaches know and trust he can make big shots.  There is so much more to the game then shots made and points scored

• Like 3

7 hours ago, landrus13 said:

1-4 is a really small sample size. If Kopp had gotten 1 more open look in the 2nd half and made it, all of the sudden he's 2-for-5 for 40% and nobody is complaining. 

Plus, he played excellent defense, knows the system on both ends, doesn't turn it over, etc. Until Bates, or someone else at that spot, elevates their play and proves they can be consistently trusted, Kopp is the best option. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

1-4 is a really small sample size. If Kopp had gotten 1 more open look in the 2nd half and made it, all of the sudden he's 2-for-5 for 40% and nobody is complaining. 

Plus, he played excellent defense, knows the system on both ends, doesn't turn it over, etc. Until Bates, or someone else at that spot, elevates their play and proves they can be consistently trusted, Kopp is the best option. 

This. There’s a lot to be said about your fifth best starter being an experienced guy who doesn’t make mistakes, plays solid defense, and can hit clutch shots when you need him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

This. There’s a lot to be said about your fifth best starter being an experienced guy who doesn’t make mistakes, plays solid defense, and can hit clutch shots when you need him. 

Exactly! I'd be all for Bates taking his minutes if he was instant offense and played consistent, solid defense. But, that's not the case. 

• Like 2

This is a good team.  We need to remember that throughout the course of the year.  This is a good team with a bunch of room for growth, we also need to remember that.

I had a friend reach out last night and say that was our first non-conference road win since 2011.  I think we (I include myself in this) are completely correct in having high expectations for this team (I think they can be really good) but we also have to remember that some of the stuff that teams around us in the rankings have been doing regularly for years, are things our program is unfortunately learning all over again.

Last night was big.  Over a decade long drought ended.  One monkey off the back.

• Like 5

I liked what Woodson said about the technicals.  He wasn’t defensive.  He’s going to be on them about it because you’re supposed to make shots and get dunks.  He said technicals can make the difference between winning and losing.  “That’s just not professional to me.”

I don’t necessarily like how it played out because Xavier got a pass on their own taunting.  And trash talk is part of the game in the sense you can get in somebody’s head and take advantage of a guy who isn’t even keeled emotionally.  That should be part of the game within reason.  But the rules are what they are.  We lost a huge amount of momentum especially with the second one.   You give up four free points in a tight game.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

Refs were horrendous.

X will be top 25 and is a hard place to play. 

Malik was fantastic but 6min for Geronimo isn’t enough. 

Kopp D was good, I don’t care if he scores or not.

Will be a good if not great road W come March. 

That crowd is up there with the top 5 in the B1G.  Cincinnati as a city and Xavier are pretty  rabid about their college basketball.   

On Jordan.  The problem  is he's still not capable  of handling the ball like a 3 and now he's buried behind Race and Malik for minutes at the 4.  Still so much potential and his defense will come up big in certain match ups.  He'll hit the wide open three, rebounds.  Xavier was pressuring the ball so it made sense that he was stuck behind Kopp and Trey but he will get some chances as the year goes on.  

• Like 3