Xavier Post Game Thread

KDB

Just rewatched the whole game and a couple of things stood out...

Reneau and JHS are so fundamentally sound. Defense, box outs, court awareness... Montverde does indeed prepare those kids well... The mistakes they made were mistakes of inexperience at the college level...

There aren't a whole lot of Big 10 teams that have two bigs as talented and experienced as Nunge and Freemantle... Xavier just didn't have anyone behind them. Their depth could hold them back some. The fact that Malik had an excellent 2nd half against those two on both ends let's you know how talented he really is...

I no longer sweat teams pressing us... Even with a freshman in the backcourt... It use to scare the crap out of me when I'd see teams gearing up to press us...

I think RaceĀ hasĀ had to keep shooting the 3 if they're not going to cover him out there. He'll start hitting some. If he doesn't take the shots, Trayce will be wearing two defenders the whole game...

And lastly, beyond the eye popping numbers, Trayce led us in a lot more ways than statistics... When we needed a play, he made it... On both ends... He'll go down as an all time Hoosier great in my book...Ā 

Ā 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

1-4 is a really small sample size. If Kopp had gotten 1 more open look in the 2nd half and made it, all of the sudden he's 2-for-5 for 40% and nobody is complaining.Ā 

Plus, he played excellent defense, knows the system on both ends, doesn't turn it over, etc. Until Bates, or someone else at that spot, elevates their play and proves they can be consistently trusted, Kopp is the best option.Ā 

Give me Geronimo.. Kopp had 2 turnovers and a layup that never touched the rim = turnoverā€¦Kopp got beat on back door and had a mis communication with TJD at the end which lead to Xavior 3 to cut it too 1ā€¦ 28 minutes is to much for that lack of production and 5 minutes for Geronimo is to little.. would like to see Kopp at about 15-20 and Geronimo 10-15 at leastā€¦ this cam fluctuate if Kopp hits a couple early and has it going but he started out 0-5 last night. Should gave Geronimo some more run.Ā 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Give me Geronimo.. Kopp had 2 turnovers and a layup that never touched the rim = turnoverā€¦Kopp got beat on back door and had a mis communication with TJD at the end which lead to Xavior 3 to cut it too 1ā€¦ 28 minutes is to much for that lack of production and 5 minutes for Geronimo is to little.. would like to see Kopp at about 15-20 and Geronimo 10-15 at leastā€¦ this cam fluctuate if Kopp hits a couple early and has it going but he started out 0-5 last night. Should gave Geronimo some more run.Ā 

They don't play the same position.Ā 

The bold though, the little JG played didn't have me craving for more.. and if he plays more, one of TJD, RT, or MR play less.Ā 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

The big problem there is Geronimo can't play the wing. He isn't a wing and never has been. Into his 3rd season the only minutes he's ever played there was the NW game when half the team was suspended.Ā 

Kopp played excellent defense last night. Why is a miscommunication his fault? How do we know it wasn't TJD's fault?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The big problem there is Geronimo can't play the wing. He isn't a wing and never has been. Into his 3rd season the only minutes he's ever played there was the NW game when half the team was suspended.Ā 

Kopp played excellent defense last night. Why is a miscommunication his fault? How do we know it wasn't TJD's fault?

Haha you guys and the Geronimo canā€™t play the 3ā€¦thought he has looked pretty good on perimeter so far this yearā€¦ woodson even said him self this year in a PC that he doesnā€™t think of players by a ā€œpositionā€ or number anymoreĀ 

Edited by 5 championships

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They don't play the same position.Ā 

The bold though, the little JG played didn't have me craving for more.. and if he plays more, one of TJD, RT, or MR play less.Ā 

Not even going there with youā€¦Woodson could start 2 walk ons over TJD and X and you would back him haha you were same way with Archie and that really panned outā€¦ Woodson brought Indian back I love it but still think he favors Kopp to much at times especially when he starts out as poorly as he didĀ 

Edited by 5 championships

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You actually thought we would blow them out in their arenaĀ 

I did. I donā€™t think it unreasonable to have confidence in this group. It should have been double digits if the technical fouls were called evenly.Ā 

That said, Xavier is a solid team. And we won on the road in a loud, hostile environment.Ā 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Geronimo is not a wing and doesn't play the same position as Kopp

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Geronimo didn't take a shot in 5 minutes. Had at least 2 TO's that I saw from mis-handling the ball (read can't dribble) that went down as steals for Xavier, and cost us 4-5 pts. He only had 1 rebound. Not exactly lighting it up offense or defense.Ā 

Ā 

Just now, IU Scott said:

Geronimo is not a wing and doesn't play the same position as Kopp

Tell me what Kopp does that Geronimo canā€™t do? Kopp canā€™t dribble and when he tries he turns us over like last night or air balls a layup..so donā€™t act like Geronimo ā€œcanā€™t dribbleā€ is such an issueā€¦ when Kopp is making shots sure play him more but you start out 0-5 Iā€™d try Geronimo. Especially with 2 other ball handlers on the floor.. Geronimo has shown good touch from mid range and outside already this year which is right where he left off from last year.. not to mention the impact he makes on the boards and on defense with his lengthĀ 

• Confused 1

Just now, 5 championships said:

Tell me what Kopp does that Geronimo canā€™t do? Kopp canā€™t dribble and when he tries he turns us over like last night or air balls a layup..so donā€™t act like Geronimo ā€œcanā€™t dribbleā€ is such an issueā€¦ when Kopp is making shots sure play him more but you start out 0-5 Iā€™d try Geronimo. Especially with 2 other ball handlers on the floor.. Geronimo has shown good touch from mid range and outside already this year which is right where he left off from last year.. not to mention the impact he makes on the boards and on defense with his lengthĀ 

Need to ask CMW because he must feels the same way

The bottom line is that Mike Woodson made the coaching decisions that he felt were best, and IU won a close game on the road against a talented opponent.Ā  The game is so tight that if he changes just 1 thing, does a single thing differently, and IU could have lost.Ā  Ā 

Kopp gives up a bucket?Ā  Maybe the guy the fans put on the floor in his place gives up an 'and one' on that play.Ā  Ā 

Galloway doesn't score?Ā  Maybe the guy that plays in his place scores a bucket, but turns it over twice. leading to 5 Xavier points.

Race misses 4 threes?Ā  Maybe CMW plays Malik earlier and more often in the first half, resulting in Malik fouling out (he had 4 fouls) and he isn't on the floor at the end of the game to deflect the inbound pass.

I mean it's super easy to look at the box score at the end of the game and assume we, as coach, could have done something different to help IU win by more points.Ā  But, maybe, just maybe, CMW is a better coach than we are, and our 'brilliant' coaching would have IU waking up this morning at 2-1 instead of 3-0.

Ā  Ā 

Ā 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Not even going there with youā€¦Woodson could start 2 walk ons over TJD and X and you would back him haha you were same way with Archie and that really panned outā€¦ Woodson brought Indian back I love it but still think he favors Kopp to much at times especially when he starts out as poorly as he didĀ 

Archie started the right ppl lol... that was never the issue.Ā 

The issue was our overall complete lack of talent and player development. But sure, keep making it something its not.Ā 

But again, none of that relevant since JG isn't a wing, clearly.Ā 

16 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Haha you guys and the Geronimo canā€™t play the 3ā€¦thought he has looked pretty good on perimeter so far this year

Standing on the perimeter or taking a 3 doesn't make you a wing. He hasn't played a second as a wing/3 this year, and outside of the NW game last year hasn't played a second as a wing in 2+ seasons at IU.Ā 

Call the positions what you want, but there are very different responsibilities between a big/stretch 4 and a wing/3. Geronimo hasn't shown the capabilities to play the wing/3 and both his coaching staffs in 2+ seasons have shown us that.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Standing on the perimeter or taking a 3 doesn't make you a wing. He hasn't played a second as a wing/3 this year, and outside of the NW game last year hasn't played a second as a wing in 2+ seasons at IU.Ā 

Call the positions what you want, but there are different very responsibilities between a big/stretch 4 and a wing/3. Geronimo hasn't shown the capabilities to play the wing/3 and both his coaching staffs in 2+ seasons have shown us that.Ā 

Ā 

I dont think he can consistently guard wings either. Colby Jones would have eaten him alive. Gets lost on shooters too.Ā 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I dont think he can consistently guard wings either. Colby Jones would have eaten him alive. Gets lost on shooters too.Ā 

Agree. Love JG in his role. As a wing, he's not a good perimeter defender. As a wing you have to defend the PnR as the guy fighting over the screen, which is much different then being the big in that defensively. JG fouls a ton on the perimeter defensively and while a super athlete, isn't great side-to-side defensively.Ā 

Kopp played excellent defense on Jones last night which is largely why he stayed in despite not scoring.Ā 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That was one of the big issues... None of the matchups were in Jordan's favor... Too short for Nunge/Freemantle, not good enough on the perimeter for Jones...Ā 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2