Xavier Post Game Thread

KDB

I haven't logged onto this site in a long time. Much like last year I still feel Kopp should be in the second unit. I suppose fear of him being a shooter on the scouting report does garner him some worth. 

I'm thankful to see XJ show up in a similar fashion to that of the last 6 weeks of last season. I believe that JHS will learn from last night and be much more productive. 

I would like to see Gunn get some of those Bates minutes.

TJD, MR,Galloway, JHS, XJ.......based on the ancient philosophy of "game impact + practice work = first unit?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ba43056 said:

I haven't logged onto this site in a long time. Much like last year I still feel Kopp should be in the second unit. I suppose fear of him being a shooter on the scouting report does garner him some worth. 

I'm thankful to see XJ show up in a similar fashion to that of the last 6 weeks of last season. I believe that JHS will learn from last night and be much more productive. 

I would like to see Gunn get some of those Bates minutes.

TJD, MR,Galloway, JHS, XJ.......based on the ancient philosophy of "game impact + practice work = first unit?"

i think at this point i agree with your 5, but it ain't happnin.

My random thoughts after the game:

- I wish we would push after a make rather than only after the other team's misses
- I did not like our drop ball screen coverage, especially coupled with our reticence to help off of Freemantle and Nunge. It was clear that the game plan was to keep those two from scoring forty together, but it led to lots of open looks off of ball screens...and off ball screens for that matter. TJD and Race gave very little help off their men screening
- Our offense moves slightly better than last year (especially in subtle things like repositioning according to the dribble drive), but I still wish we would have more players in attack mode. I am so tired of us running "thumb" where a half-hearted cut happens off of TJD and then we give him the ball in the mid-post and watch...We seem to only utilize three or four actions a game...would like to see that grow in sophistication
- Fino would be a bit better off right now focusing on creating for others and having others create for him...He has taken some questionable thoughts off the dribble each game...
- Teams are still going under the ball screen against us...we need to have a mentality of making them pay for that, and a creative response to that game plan
- We were much more focused and active defensively in this game than the first two...Xavier scored when we made mistakes (dig too far, blown switch, failure to help/hedge on screens, etc..) but those mistakes came at important times that gave Xavier life and confidence
- Geronimo and Bates and Kopp and Galloway were not nearly as bad as people said...Miller missed a couple opportunities at the rim early, Geronimo tried to bust out with the dribble when he shouldn't have, Bates made some scouting report errors, but actually Galloway (and Kopp) made a ton of contributions...Galloway is not an elite on the ball defender (still coming off groin injury and is not quick in the traditional sense), but he is an excellent defender overall who plays with max effort and is disruptive to the other team's sets because he pays attention to the scouting report and knows what the other team is trying to accomplish in each set...
- We won't shoot that much better until the ball movement is better...we don't create that many open looks from the perimeter even though the opposition sags....mostly because the ball sticks in X's and Fino's hands...This is why Galloway, Kopp, and even Leal could play important roles...they move the ball
- I'm glad we won, I think it will be good for the resume, we can be quite good in the end, but I doubt we will be head and shoulders above the B1G...we could win 15 or 16 or so games in conference, but will have to fight for those wins rather than blowing people out

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

- I wish we would push after a make rather than only after the other team's misses
- I did not like our drop ball screen coverage, especially coupled with our reticence to help off of Freemantle and Nunge. It was clear that the game plan was to keep those two from scoring forty together, but it led to lots of open looks off of ball screens...and off ball screens for that matter. TJD and Race gave very little help off their men screening
- Our offense moves slightly better than last year (especially in subtle things like repositioning according to the dribble drive), but I still wish we would have more players in attack mode. I am so tired of us running "thumb" where a half-hearted cut happens off of TJD and then we give him the ball in the mid-post and watch...We seem to only utilize three or four actions a game...would like to see that grow in sophistication
- Fino would be a bit better off right now focusing on creating for others and having others create for him...He has taken some questionable thoughts off the dribble each game...
- Teams are still going under the ball screen against us...we need to have a mentality of making them pay for that, and a creative response to that game plan
- We were much more focused and active defensively in this game than the first two...Xavier scored when we made mistakes (dig too far, blown switch, failure to help/hedge on screens, etc..) but those mistakes came at important times that gave Xavier life and confidence
- Geronimo and Bates and Kopp and Galloway were not nearly as bad as people said...Miller missed a couple opportunities at the rim early, Geronimo tried to bust out with the dribble when he shouldn't have, Bates made some scouting report errors, but actually Galloway (and Kopp) made a ton of contributions...Galloway is not an elite on the ball defender (still coming off groin injury and is not quick in the traditional sense), but he is an excellent defender overall who plays with max effort and is disruptive to the other team's sets because he pays attention to the scouting report and knows what the other team is trying to accomplish in each set...
- We won't shoot that much better until the ball movement is better...we don't create that many open looks from the perimeter even though the opposition sags....mostly because the ball sticks in X's and Fino's hands...This is why Galloway, Kopp, and even Leal could play important roles...they move the ball
- I'm glad we won, I think it will be good for the resume, we can be quite good in the end, but I doubt we will be head and shoulders above the B1G...we could win 15 or 16 or so games in conference, but will have to fight for those wins rather than blowing people out

Agree with most of this. I also think that game was closer to our floor than our ceiling. JHS is way better than he played and MR is starting to understand what he can do. This is a team that has never really experienced success. They have mostly hoped to win instead of expected to win. I want to see more of the later as the season progresses. If TJD continues with the mindset we saw last night, he may just drag everyone else along with him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

I didn't call it that, was responding to someone else who called it that, but yes, sometimes going behind a screen, even when you're not supposed to, is a miscommunication with the big. 

I’m confused, not not trying to be a smart a##. Big man hedges (every time), primary defender fights over the screen, big man gets back to his man once the primary defender returns to his man. Don’t understand why there is a miscommunication. MK went below the screen immediately. 

Edited by kyhoosier29

12 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m confused, not not trying to be a smart a##. Big man hedges (every time), primary defender fights over the screen, big man gets back to his man once the primary defender returns to his man. Don’t understand why there is a miscommunication. MK went below the screen immediately. 

Because players play. Despite the rules of the defense, players play and make decisions during the game that sometimes aren't in line with the established defensive rules. 

Sometimes you make eye contact with a teammate and think he's going to do something else or one guys reads something in real time different then the other guy, etc.  

I've been in that situation where the defensive rules are to go over all screens but something breaks down or there is a miscommunication and you and teammate do something different on the fly. It happens all of the time. 

• Like 2

Huge victory for our Hoosiers, and definitely a game they lose in recent years. TJD and X really showed up, and I don’t think everyone played as bad as some indicated. There’s a lot more to basketball than just scoring. A lot of our misses were really close, and Xavier made a lot of tough, guarded shots. 

I firmly believe we win this game by about 10 if those stupid technicals aren’t called. I can’t stand taunting, but those were not close to taunting levels that everyone else gets away with. The 2nd half tech on Malik really changed the momentum, where Xavier went on a 7-2 right after I think. 

Very happy with the performance, figured this would be a dogfight and the team would exhibit some issues of it being their first road game. Expected mistakes and uneven play, but wanted to see their resolve. I really like the makeup of this team, and the defense will be better going forward. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

Because players play. Despite the rules of the defense, players play and make decisions during the game that sometimes aren't in line with the established defensive rules. 

Sometimes you make eye contact with a teammate and think he's going to do something else or one guys reads something in real time different then the other guy, etc.  

I've been in that situation where the defensive rules are to go over all screens but something breaks down or there is a miscommunication and you and teammate do something different on the fly. It happens all of the time. 

No offense, but that sounds like an excuse for not doing what you should have done. But whatever, on to the next one. Won a road game in a hostile environment without playing the best. Plenty of time and room for improvement. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

No offense, but that sounds like an excuse for not doing what you should have done. But whatever, on to the next one. Won a road game in a hostile environment without playing the best. Plenty of time and room for improvement. 

Not an excuse, it's the reality of playing. Things happen that aren't to the plan. Happens every singe game. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Not an excuse, it's the reality of playing. Things happen that aren't to the plan. Happens every singe game. 

Yeah, I want to trust our players to make decisions in real time. Part of that trust means things won’t always go to plan - it happens. Basketball, like every other sport, isn’t a game of perfect.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeap, mistakes happen sometimes. Hopefully a senior doesn’t make the same mistake of going under a screen against a shooter again, or at least not in a crucial, late part of the game again.  I’m sure he’ll learn from it. 

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeap, mistakes happen sometimes. Hopefully a senior doesn’t make the same mistake of going under a screen against a shooter again, or at least not in a crucial, late part of the game again.  I’m sure he’ll learn from it. 

Agree, for whichever senior actually made the mistake, could have been one of them or both really. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mean, the roster on the IU website literally lists him as a senior. 

If we want to talk semantics, a 5th year senior has always been considered somebody that redshirted a year. But I really don’t care man. Regardless, I’d bet any amount of money that CMW wasn’t happy about MK going under the screen whether you think it could have been a miscommunication or not. Against good shooters I hope it doesn’t happen again. Peace out. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/19/2022 at 5:59 PM, mchenry34 said:

All legitimate criticisms of our staff. I am frustrated with the half court offense, some, as well. I, too, think we need to keep pushing tempo, as you mentioned, even after makes. The ball undoubtedly sticks in certain players hands. Race is one of the worse culprits. This is a really good post, man. I enjoyed reading it. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2