Greatest CBB game you ever watched?

rico

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Wow...lighten up, Francis. This is an internet forum not a UFC cage. This is the second time I've noticed how short your fuse is.

i don't have a short fuse.  But when I got one guy sending me a nasty PM and another guy "manipulating" my post I come up for air.  Carry on.

I was lucky enough to be a student at IU from 85-89.  So I'm a little partial to games during that run.  The Jay Edwards buzzer beater,  the 3 OT road win at Wiscy, Alford going coast to coast at UM and scoring on a last second layup and of course the Smart shot championship are all some of my favorites.  But the one game that may have been the best to watch(and be at) was the IU-UNLV semi final game.  That UNLV team was loaded and had only 1 controversial loss all year.  Nobody thought we could run with them.  But that's exactly what we did.  Freddie Banks hit 10 3's, Mark Wade had 18 assists and the late Armen Gilliam dropped 38.  But it wasn't enough to beat us that day.  If you ever have time to watch that game it's worth a watch. 

Go Hoosiers!!!

I had a final the day after the UK game in 2011... watched the Wat Shot on a computer in the library and will always regret not going.  

Some games I was at that stand out to me:

Sat behind the basket for Crean’s first win over a ranked team (52-49 win over Illinois) in 2011.  Was the first IU game I ever went to and got me hooked for life.

The UNC beatdowns in 2011 and 2016.

Sat two rows behind Doc Libby for the Maryland beatdown in 2015.  Was the first time Maryland ever played in Assembly Hall and was also Hartman’s breakout game.

Sat behind the basket for the triple OT win over Penn State last season.  That was a crazy game.

1 hour ago, ButlerHoosier said:

So I remember watching IU vs Duke in the 2002 final four then IU being robbed in the championship game against Maryland. Unfortunately I am not a seasoned as some of you on this board. I wish I could have seen the glory days! Although I fear hope that those days are once again around the corner! 

The IU/Duke game in 2002 was not in the final four but the sweet 16.  Also I don't remember anything that happened in the championship game that were make someone think that IU was robbed.

1 hour ago, Hoosrnight said:

Butler/Duke 2010 title game! Hayward missed a last second championship winning shot by an inch! That was a great game!

I was at that game and the crowd was unbelievable. Great game. The Butler-MSU game was also down to the wire and fantastic to be there with my dad. It was fun watching Butler during that run.

Best game I attended for IU had to be versus a really good UM team at Assembly Hall, don’t remember the year (1987?),  but Antoine Joubert was warming up for Michigan and taunting the crowd. Great atmosphere. I don’t even remember the outcome, just remember Antoine, lol. (So I looked him up as I was typing this, and see his son is playing for Detroit Mercy. Pretty cool.)

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The IU/Duke game in 2002 was not in the final four but the sweet 16.  Also I don't remember anything that happened in the championship game that were make someone think that IU was robbed.

My bad the sweet 16 game. They were robbed in the sense that they lost after fighting to get back into the game. That was all. 

My choice has to include IU .....as I'm never nearly as "edge of my seat" watching other teams play.

Best game I've ever watched has to be the 1987 semi-final between IU and UNLV. Absolute barn burner from the opening tip until the buzzer. IU was not supposed to be able to run with the Rebels. The "slow down" strategy most expected never materialized. Most IU fans were just as amazed by the pace of that game as the rest of the nation.

Archived