Game Thread PU

IU Scott

Just now, IU Scott said:

It was for two years and not 1 year he went 8-5 and 6-2

I'm not even contesting 8-5. But the truncated B1G title and subsequent hype was - in retrospect - not legit. I recognize it in its context. But we (media/fans) collectively were too quick to buy into it as somehow representative of a long-term change for the program.

8 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

I'm not even contesting 8-5. But the truncated B1G title and subsequent hype was - in retrospect - not legit. I recognize it in its context. But we (media/fans) collectively were too quick to buy into it as somehow representative of a long-term change for the program.

I disagree because it was the two straight years is why he got the extension. It was like the second best two year stretch in IU's history, which is sad.

I don't criticize our football guys as much as hoops guys. Goes with the history. Here's my point headed into offseason. Whoever thought CB needed to start as long as he did needs to go. Whoever thought Lucas didn't need to see the ball until October needs to go.

I like Allen. Tremendous guy, Coach....and at times has shown he's a leader. If I'm Dolson though I have to ask do I keep selling 19 and 20 to our fans.....or see what 21 and 22 results are. Especially in football at a school like IU you can't possibly think the portal is the answer right now. Before the portal....start with whomever is hiring the staff. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Out of curiosity, why didn't we get to kick the extra point. If that score wod have put us down 1 we wod have kicked it. Also it pisses me off because on BTB contest I picked the score of 34-17. That one point would have gotten me an extra 10 points for getting IU score correct.

I believe time ran out! 

1 minute ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I believe time ran out! 

It did but you usually still get to kick the  extra point because the time doesn't run for the extra point. Like I said if you score on a last second TD and you are down 7 you will get to go for the extra point.

Edited by IU Scott

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I disagree because it was the two straight years is why he got the extension. It was like the second best two year stretch in IU's history, which is sad.

I don't think it's even disagreeing. I get what you're saying, but I think it was the second-year Kool Aid. What I'm saying is that was clearly some fake Kool Aid. We all just wanted to believe it was some sea change for IU football. Give that the COVID year was so unusual, we really should've wanted to see what the next year would show. But give our historic programatic losing, I suppose it was bound to happen.

35 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Field turf? 

Non grass playing surfaces, pro turf? Whatever you wanna call it. The NFLPA is pushing to ban it. Injuries like DW’s didn’t happen with the frequency when grass or the “astro turf” surfaces were used. Grass and soil have give, this stuff doesn’t and it’s a disaster for athletes’ knees

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Field turf isn't a problem like the old astro turf was. Most teams have it and won't change because it is a cheaper up keep

Different kind of problem but ya, astro turf was awful. I played on it. Felt like tackle football in the street. I’d like to compare the cost of grass upkeep vs knee surgeries. If I had to bet, IU is breaking even at best. 

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

Different kind of problem but ya, astro turf was awful. I played on it. Felt like tackle football in the street. I’d like to compare the cost of grass upkeep vs knee surgeries. If I had to bet, IU is breaking even at best. 

It was a little piece of carpet on top of cement. Also your foot would stick a lot causing major knee injuries. I have been on field turf and it felt like walking on grass to me. The only thing I didn't like is the black oebnles that is in field turf. I use to be a janitor at a high school that had field turf and people would tracknthat all over the locker room.

13 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Non grass playing surfaces, pro turf? Whatever you wanna call it. The NFLPA is pushing to ban it. Injuries like DW’s didn’t happen with the frequency when grass or the “astro turf” surfaces were used. Grass and soil have give, this stuff doesn’t and it’s a disaster for athletes’ knees

Complete silliness on their part. 

Edited by btownqb

5 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Also it would be hard for teams with domes to have natural grass. I think Las Vegas and maybe Arizona has it where that they can role out the grass fieldin and  out of the stadium. You just couldn't do that in a cold weather environment.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Complete silliness on their part. 

The math is obvious. One study found knee/ankle injuries are up 88% from the grass era. Another says you’re 30% more likely to have a knee or ankle injury. There’s literally zero incentive for the players to be outspoken on this topic, otherwise. When you break it down, the science is obvious. When you wear cleats on a surface that can “grab”/hold your cleat, your foot is less likely to slip out. If your body/momentum is going one direction and your foot is stuck…it’s a high probability of injury. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

The math is obvious. One study found knee/ankle injuries are up 88% from the grass era. Another says you’re 30% more likely to have a knee or ankle injury. There’s literally zero incentive for the players to be outspoken on this topic, otherwise. When you break it down, the science is obvious. When you wear cleats on a surface that can “grab”/hold your cleat, your foot is less likely to slip out. If your body/momentum is going one direction and your foot is stuck…it’s a high probability of injury. 

Might be some correlation but how about players being bigger and stronger today. Especially in football I think the players don't rest their bodies enough in the off season.  They are all muscle and little body fat and that puts a lot of stress on your lower body that might cause more injuries.

if you go back before turf which would be before 1970's and look at the size of the players. You would see most O lineman being around 270 pounds and the defensive line being smaller.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Might be some correlation but how about players being bigger and stronger today. Especially in football I think the players don't rest their bodies enough in the off season.  They are all muscle and little body fat and that puts a lot of stress on your lower body that might cause more injuries.

if you go back before turf which would be before 1970's and look at the size of the players. You would see most O lineman being around 270 pounds and the defensive line being smaller.

Still doesn’t account for the fact that FieldTurf doesn’t divot. When grass divots, it providing the necessary give that your tendons need to stay in tact. If your foot is stuck but your body/momentum is going the opposite direction, stuff tears and breaks. It’s physics. Bo Jackson is bigger and stronger than everyone carrying the ball today and never had a turf related, non contact injury. 

44 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Just to point out the other side. Marcellus Wiley was on radio earlier this week. He said as a D player he loved the turf. Faster on his first steps. Just throwing that out there. 

13 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Still doesn’t account for the fact that FieldTurf doesn’t divot. When grass divots, it providing the necessary give that your tendons need to stay in tact. If your foot is stuck but your body/momentum is going the opposite direction, stuff tears and breaks. It’s physics. Bo Jackson is bigger and stronger than everyone carrying the ball today and never had a turf related, non contact injury. 

He had a career ending football injury on grass 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

There’s plenty of benefits but my argument is that player safety trumps them

I just don't think the injuries today is due to the turf but more to do with the Ayers physical stature.  I think players put their body through so much and don't let them rest properly which causes a lot of the injuries. I also think field turf causes a lot less injuries than the old turf. I think players wear turf shoes which makes it easier to run in the turf. Who knows who is correct but that is my thinking