IU football program going forward.

IU Scott

6 hours ago, DC2345 said:

This program isn’t worth paying attention to right now. The only momentum the program has is headed in a downward spiral and it’s going to likely get much worse. The transfer portal is likely to get very interesting and not in a positive way for the program. 

In college sports programs once the coach "loses" the players -- i.e., they stop believing that the coach can get them to where they want to be -- the coach is done, and it's time to get a new coach.  We may have well reached that point.  

Wilson (his boorishness aside) and DeBoer were more viable head coaches, even at a program as bad as IU. Unfortunately, we made the wrong choice, and then extended on it with our (somewhat understandable) overreaction to an extreme outlier B1G title.

This o-line didn't even look very good in the run game in 20, despite the success. I'd be trying to bring in as many dual-threat QBs as possible for depth. Williams, even if he can miraculously return ready for next season, may now be saddled with the dreaded injury prone tag.

Might want to consider moving McCulley back to QB, at least for emergency situations. We're losing a lot of experience/playing time off the defense this offseason. All this does not bode well for Allen and company. And are you going to attract top-notch assistants when the HC is on the hot seat? 

Just my take! One thing the last few games showed was the OL got better after Hiller was fired. Another thing is if Dexter can’t comeback we need a Mobil QB. Are a accurate QB. After CB came in for Dexter you could see the receivers frustration of being open and him missing them badly. 
Seems like Allen doesn’t make position changes in coaches are players when he needs to. Hiller should have been let go a few years ago. By halftime at Neb we should have switched QBs probably Tuttle then moved to Dexter. 
we have a lot of issues that need to be addressed. Will the brain thrust of IU Football make the moves to jump this program forward! Will see. Not totally confident they will. 

Think Shivers is out of eligibility. Will Henderson opt to return? I think he has one more year. Will Lucas stay? Those two would make a nice RB combo. Assuming some further o-line improvement (wishful thinking)?

It did improve some the last couple games. But the run game success also had a lot to do with the dual threat QB approach. Even with full recovery, is it realistic to expect Williams to be full go right out of gate? What can we expect from him in terms of durability moving forward? And despite some strides in ground game, he never established confidence in pass game consistency. What are our options is he's unavailable?

These guys on D are all listed by Hoosier Scoop as out of eligibility: Haynes, Bryant, Fitzgerald, Jennings, Elliot, Williams, Head Jr., Jones, Matthews. I find that to be a significant concern. Defense, despite not  living up to my expectation for the year, was definitely the better of the two units overall, and did step up the last few games. Allowing just 23 yesterday was a strong showing, especially given the LB injury challenges. Credit where due there.  

Edited by D-BONE

1 hour ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Just my take! One thing the last few games showed was the OL got better after Hiller was fired. Another thing is if Dexter can’t comeback we need a Mobil QB. Are a accurate QB. After CB came in for Dexter you could see the receivers frustration of being open and him missing them badly. 
Seems like Allen doesn’t make position changes in coaches are players when he needs to. Hiller should have been let go a few years ago. By halftime at Neb we should have switched QBs probably Tuttle then moved to Dexter. 
we have a lot of issues that need to be addressed. Will the brain thrust of IU Football make the moves to jump this program forward! Will see. Not totally confident they will. 

There's no brain trust at IU when it comes to football.  Now brain farts and freezes...yeah, IU has those markets cornered.

• Haha 1

IU football needs a wholesale change. It all should be scrubbed to the bone and rebuilt. Probably won't happen this year but hopefully soon. No more half assing it. No more hiring young coaches who are up and comers. Get an established guy who's known for building up programs. IU needs an athletic QB who can run as welll as he can pass. Football is leaning towards to the mobile QB who can get out of the pocket and evade the pass rush. It all starts with QB. Once you get that taken care of. the rest of it kinda falls into place with good coaching, recruting, and development. 

6 hours ago, D-BONE said:

Think Shivers is out of eligibility. Will Henderson opt to return? I think he has one more year. Will Lucas stay? Those two would make a nice RB combo. Assuming some further o-line improvement (wishful thinking)?

It did improve some the last couple games. But the run game success also had a lot to do with the dual threat QB approach. Even with full recovery, is it realistic to expect Williams to be full go right out of gate? What can we expect from him in terms of durability moving forward? And despite some strides in ground game, he never established confidence in pass game consistency. What are our options is he's unavailable?

These guys on D are all listed by Hoosier Scoop as out of eligibility: Haynes, Bryant, Fitzgerald, Jennings, Elliot, Williams, Head Jr., Jones, Matthews. I find that to be a significant concern. Defense, despite not  living up to my expectation for the year, was definitely the better of the two units overall, and did step up the last few games. Allowing just 23 yesterday was a strong showing, especially given the LB injury challenges. Credit where due there.  

I don't think Lucas should be your every down RB but I see him better suited as a slot receiver and use him in jet sweeps or screens to get him in space. I don't really like just running him between the tackles. We really need to get a couple of true RB's in here who can make big plays.

40 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

IU football needs a wholesale change. It all should be scrubbed to the bone and rebuilt. Probably won't happen this year but hopefully soon. No more half assing it. No more hiring young coaches who are up and comers. Get an established guy who's known for building up programs. IU needs an athletic QB who can run as welll as he can pass. Football is leaning towards to the mobile QB who can get out of the pocket and evade the pass rush. It all starts with QB. Once you get that taken care of. the rest of it kinda falls into place with good coaching, recruting, and development. 

Problem is that those established coaches aren't coming to IU. We will either get a coach from a lower D1 conference or a retread HC who doesn't have a job right now.

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Seriously.  I challenge anyone to watch Penix play tonight, or basically any game this season, and come up with an excuse as to why our offense was so bad last season if it wasn't coaching.  

I watched some he looked great! Our OC and offensive line were terrible! He wasn’t pressured much while I was watching. 

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Seriously.  I challenge anyone to watch Penix play tonight, or basically any game this season, and come up with an excuse as to why our offense was so bad last season if it wasn't coaching.  

I watched some he looked great! Our OC and offensive line were terrible! He wasn’t pressured much while I was watching. 

21 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

You know Basketball brought in Thad Matta to help run the basketball program for a short period. Maybe we need that in football. Someone to help identify Big Ten talent and recruiting also the day to day stuff. 

Why are we paying Allen millions of dollars? That's his job/responsibility and he isn't up to the job get rid of him.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Guess this goes in here. IU just announced significant knee injury to Dexter. Sounds like surgery next week. 9 months til opener...my guess is we find at least 2 QB's in the portal. 

Hard time seeing him play next year and scarily maybe ever again.  This team is gonna need a lot of new bodies and QB and Oline clearly priority 1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iuthruandthru said:

Hard time seeing him play next year and scarily maybe ever again.  This team is gonna need a lot of new bodies and QB and Oline clearly priority 1

New bodies on the OL? I don't necessarily agree with that. 

Bedford comes back. Sales, Benson, Carter Smith, and Moore all young guys.. fairly highly ranked and guys they like. 

Carp, Katic, and Weaver at least have a lot of experience. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Bedford comes back. Sales, Benson, Carter Smith, and Moore all young guys.. fairly highly ranked and guys they like. 

Fair but at this point even with potential injuries and I am a big fan of competition breading success

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I figured Carpenter was out of eligibility because I thought he came here as a grad student 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

The O-line looked a lot better the last couple games.  If we can retain Carey, I think we'll be good there.

I'll feel good if we can find a dual threat qb in the portal (or two) and keep most of our players on offense, especially Lucas and Camper.

• Like 4