Shooting

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Last night's shooting was skewed a bit by XJ's 0-3 from three (but he was 6-9 on twos, and 8-10 FTs), which dropped him to 8-15 on the year (53%).

What was really important to me, was the couple of times that UNC's guards gave a weak double on TJD and JHS and Bates drilled the open threes. Too often in the past we'd see IU's guards miss wide open threes after a kickout from TJD.

And one of XJ's threes was a 3/4 court heave before half if I recall correctly. 

Anyone know what our shooting percentage is outside of 10'?  I don't have the brainpower or will to do the math myself.  I have no agenda with the question, i honestly want to know.  Maybe i am tramatized for the 10 years of not being able to shoot that i can't see the forest for the trees.  Maybe we're a good shooting team and every miss just rings in my mind like CAM just kicked my door open yelling "Here's Archie!".

And for the record, i love this years and last years team.  I love what TJD and XJ bring to the table as Sr's.  I love our freshman class.  I have even come to love the Mike Woodson hire.  I admit i didn't like it, but damn am I happy to be wrong.  I think we're a strong contender for top 3 in the B1G and a 1-3 seed in the Tourney based on what i have been able to see so far.  We don't stop.  We don't give up.  We hustle and play hard.  We're fundamentally sound most of the game.  I love it.  I am over critical and i probably shouldn't be, but i also think that is trauma from the last 10 years of not really having any upside year over year.  But i am trying.  I am trying to watch and enjoy.

So, back to the original question, what do we shoot from outside 10'?  Anyone have this advanced metric?

Mark of a good team is that they can beat you playing different ways based on what the opponent is giving them. I know it’s been a long time since we’ve had that ability. Crean was a one trick pony and I think Archie was trick less. We didn’t need the 3 last night. Players and staff were aware of what worked and adjusted accordingly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Anyone know what our shooting percentage is outside of 10'?  I don't have the brainpower or will to do the math myself.  I have no agenda with the question, i honestly want to know.  Maybe i am tramatized for the 10 years of not being able to shoot that i can't see the forest for the trees.  Maybe we're a good shooting team and every miss just rings in my mind like CAM just kicked my door open yelling "Here's Archie!".

And for the record, i love this years and last years team.  I love what TJD and XJ bring to the table as Sr's.  I love our freshman class.  I have even come to love the Mike Woodson hire.  I admit i didn't like it, but damn am I happy to be wrong.  I think we're a strong contender for top 3 in the B1G and a 1-3 seed in the Tourney based on what i have been able to see so far.  We don't stop.  We don't give up.  We hustle and play hard.  We're fundamentally sound most of the game.  I love it.  I am over critical and i probably shouldn't be, but i also think that is trauma from the last 10 years of not really having any upside year over year.  But i am trying.  I am trying to watch and enjoy.

So, back to the original question, what do we shoot from outside 10'?  Anyone have this advanced metric?

Here is the shot chart from last night-

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game/_/gameId/401479681

Edited by Reacher

16 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Mark of a good team is that they can beat you playing different ways based on what the opponent is giving them. I know it’s been a long time since we’ve had that ability. Crean was a one trick pony and I think Archie was trick less. We didn’t need the 3 last night. Players and staff were aware of what worked and adjusted accordingly.

This is a really good point. I was always a Crean fan, still am, however I did agree it was time to move on when we did.... but, we were only winning one way, when we were winning with him. I can see that, for sure. 

We can win a variety of ways. 

• Like 2

Obviously it is still early in the season, but want to call out the fact that Kopp, X, TG, and Bates are all over 40% for the season from three. The biggest difference in this teams shooting and teams like 12 & 13, or 16, is not the shooting from our guards and wings as much as the bigs. Those teams had bigs that were knocking down threes at a high clip, where as this team isn't getting that from guys we were hoping to in Race and JG.

If Race had hit 4 more of his open looks (7 of 18 on the year) and JG had hit 3 more (5 of 11), that would bring our team percentage to 40%. Those two are getting the looks and have shown capable of hitting them in the past, they need to start doing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

If Race had hit 4 more of his open looks (7 of 18 on the year) and JG had hit 3 more (5 of 11), that would bring our team percentage to 40%. Those two are getting the looks and have shown capable of hitting them in the past, they need to start doing it.

Race is 3 for 18.  Jordan 2 for 11.

If they had missed only 5 more shots, they would be shooting zero % for the season.

• Haha 5

52 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

they need to keep shooting.

50 minutes ago, btownqb said:

those two shooting/playing with confidence.

Race is in his 5th year.  Has shot under 24% for his career from three. 

He's shooting under 17% this season. 

He shoots under 65% for free throws.  Still with incorrect form.

I'm totally missing why he needs to shoot more ANY threes (edit), when there is nothing to support the idea that he will get better.

I'd rather Miller Kopp take a triple-teamed three from the upper deck than have Race shoot one from the line unguarded.

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Madison22 said:

I'm totally missing why he needs to shoot more threes, when there is nothing to support the idea that he will get better.

I'd rather Miller Kopp take a triple-teamed three from the upper deck than have Race shoot one from the line unguarded.

No idea what the bold means. Miller has shown he is a poor shooter when some closes out well on him. 

TG shot under 20% from 3 for his career until this season... so the career totals don't do a lot for me. 

And we didn't say he needed to shoot more 3s, we said he needed to hit more 3s. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madison22 said:

I'm totally missing why he needs to shoot more threes, when there is nothing to support the idea that he will get better.

Kopp is the one guy they won't leave on the perimeter...For now...

If Race and Jordan don't take those 3s and get better as the year goes on, Trayce will be seeing triple teams until he graduates...

I'm not saying high volume for either Race or Geronimo, but if they have a wide open look, they HAVE to take them...

BTW, someone in another thread had mentioned it, but if Race doesn't get the ball and immediately shoot it in rhythm, I'd rather he just pass it off and restart...He's not good once he hesitates...

And I'd also like to see Jordan put it on the deck and show off that dribble/drive game we heard about in the off season...I know that takes a little success to build confidence as well...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

I'm totally missing why he needs to shoot more ANY threes (edit), when there is nothing to support the idea that he will get better.

I mean the stretch at the most important point in our season last year where Race shot ~40% over several games seemed to make a huge difference in our offense. Yeah, I want him shooting even if it costs us a game right now. We need that part of our offense to get to where we want to go. 

• Like 2

The defense will tell you a lot 

last year mid season teams went under high ball screens begging XJ to shoot a 3.  He made them pay 

no team is going to single TJD 

if they do he scores or fouls out your frontline 

the charge calls last night were sketchy but that’s the defense sagging in off shooters 

best way to beat IU is frustrate XJ and force anyone but Kopp to shoot 3’s 

Race may struggle but JG & Malik aren’t stepping up.  

• Like 1