De'Ron Davis update

Mile, I was getting ready to post that link as well since I read the article in our C&P paper this morning. What I find that made me upset, was he was injured during practice and someone (a manager?) threw a ball at him from behind and that's when the injury happened? And when DD questioned the manager about it, the manager acted like he didn't know what DD was talking about?

I also noted DD was spending more time on academics. Is he having some difficulty with them?

36 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Mile, I was getting ready to post that link as well since I read the article in our C&P paper this morning. What I find that made me upset, was he was injured during practice and someone (a manager?) threw a ball at him from behind and that's when the injury happened? And when DD questioned the manager about it, the manager acted like he didn't know what DD was talking about?

I also noted DD was spending more time on academics. Is he having some difficulty with them?

What I read was that he thought it felt like a ball hit him in the back of his foot and not that the manager actually threw it at him.  They always say when someone tears their achillies it feels like something hitting them in the back of the leg.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What I read was that he thought it felt like a ball hit him in the back of his foot and not that the manager actually threw it at him.  They always say when someone tears their achillies it feels like something hitting them in the back of the leg.

That's right. 

Also, Proud.... I am not aware of how De'Ron's academics are going. 

But  one thing coming out of the video, is that we can put to rest the rumor that De'Ron will be transferring.  He said he will be staying on campus this summer and returning to IU for his Junior year. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

That's right. 

Also, Proud.... I am not aware of how De'Ron's academics are going. 

But  one thing coming out of the video, is that we can put to rest the rumor that De'Ron will be transferring.  He said he will be staying on campus this summer and returning to IU for his Junior year. 

I was kind of worried that he would leave but it does sound good hearing him say he was saying.

35 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Good Stuff Mile. I hope DeRon can make a Morgan type leap in play next season.

It sounds as if De'Ron has the desire.  And the motivation.... as his HS coach, Danny Fisher says he (Fisher) will make the trip from Colorado to personally kick De'Ron's butt, if he doesn't start showing the stuff he (De'Ron) showed in high school. 

It's great to hear that he's planning on coming back  next season and is showing the fire and desire to keep getting better. Hopefully during his down time he can work tirelessly on free throw shooting! I am a believer that anyone can shoot a decent percentage when taught proper technique and they are willing to put in the work.

1 minute ago, DunkinDipo said:

It's great to hear that he's planning on coming back  next season and is showing the fire and desire to keep getting better. Hopefully during his down time he can work tirelessly on free throw shooting! I am a believer that anyone can shoot a decent percentage when taught proper technique and they are willing to put in the work.

De'Ron actually was a good free throw shooter in high school.  And his freshman year at IU.  I just don't know what went wrong, his second year at IU. 

33 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

De'Ron actually was a good free throw shooter in high school.  And his freshman year at IU.  I just don't know what went wrong, his second year at IU. 

I believe it’s completely mental for him, and it’s similar to what happens to good baseball hitters sometimes.  Start missing free throws (striking out) and the misses (strikeouts) can start piling up.

Unfortunately I don’t know if we’re going to be able to expect much from De’Ron going forward.  This season exposed his weaknesses (lack of athleticism, lateral quickness, explosiveness), and a ruptured Achilles is a pretty serious injury that’s likely going to prevent him from improving much in those areas.  Even without considering the injury, it doesn’t seem like De’Ron is the type of player that really fits Archie’s scheme — not quick or physical enough.  But he’s still a pretty gifted post-scorer, so hopefully he can give us that in 15-20 minutes a game.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Unfortunately I don’t know if we’re going to be able to expect much from De’Ron going forward.  This season exposed his weaknesses (lack of athleticism, lateral quickness, explosiveness), and a ruptured Achilles is a pretty serious injury that’s likely going to prevent him from improving much in those areas.  Even without considering the injury, it doesn’t seem like De’Ron is the type of player that really fits Archie’s scheme — not quick or physical enough.  But he’s still a pretty gifted post-scorer, so hopefully he can give us that in 15-20 minutes a game.

Exactly what I was thinking! Seems like Archie system is better off with more mobile bigs 

^^^ Archie was not the one who scouted and recruited De'Ron while De'Ron was in high school.  I honestly think Archie needs to have a sit down with Danny Fisher, De'Ron's high school coach, who played De'Ron at all five positions in high school.  Archie needs to learn more about De'Ron's game and his abilities.  Coach Crean understood,  saw De'Ron in action in Colorado, and that's why Coach Crean had De'Ron working on more than just his post up game.  I think what we saw this season, was De'Ron trying to adjust to Archie's system, with Archie seeing De'Ron as simply a big man due to his size,  more than Coach Miller knowing and understanding what De'Ron's game really  is all about.  De'Ron is more than just a post up guy. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

^^^ Archie was not the one who scouted and recruited De'Ron while De'Ron was in high school.  I honestly think Archie needs to have a sit down with Danny Fisher, De'Ron's high school coach, who played De'Ron at all five positions in high school.  Archie needs to learn more about De'Ron's game and his abilities.  Coach Crean understood,  saw De'Ron in action in Colorado, and that's why Coach Crean had De'Ron working on more than just his post up game.  I think what we saw this season, was De'Ron trying to adjust to Archie's system, with Archie seeing De'Ron as simply a big man due to his size,  more than Coach Miller knowing and understanding what De'Ron's game really  is all about.  De'Ron is more than just a post up guy. 

Mile. I know you've watched De'Ron a heck of a lot more than me, but I'm going to have to disagree. Offensively, De'Ron was great in the post, when he wanted to be. But his lack of speed and quickness limits him off the block.

If love to see him mimic DJ White' s senior season. Show you have a bit of a face up game. Shoot the 10 foot jumper. Make the defender respect that. That'll open up his game. But I just dont see him making a living taking guys off the dribble and such 

25 minutes ago, ephul said:

Mile. I know you've watched De'Ron a heck of a lot more than me, but I'm going to have to disagree. Offensively, De'Ron was great in the post, when he wanted to be. But his lack of speed and quickness limits him off the block.

If love to see him mimic DJ White' s senior season. Show you have a bit of a face up game. Shoot the 10 foot jumper. Make the defender respect that. That'll open up his game. But I just dont see him making a living taking guys off the dribble and such 

I agree with you but I was talking more on the defensive side of the ball. Seems like Deron is a little slow on the rotations and being able to hedge and then get back. I think the injury might hurt that even more. 

I love Deron though! He gives it his all and represents Indiana well I just think Archie's system is ran a lot better with long lengthy bigs with mobility like the first big guy Archie has recruited in Forrester.. Oher recruits that Archie is looking at (Kion& Jackson Davis) are also pretty mobile and athletic. I hope Deron recovers well and proves me wrong though! 

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I actually thought that I was hit with a golf ball.  That would have been something as I was playing indoor hoops at the time of the injury.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I was kind of worried that he would leave but it does sound good hearing him say he was saying.

4 minutes ago, jimmygoiu said:

I actually thought that I was hit with a golf ball.  That would have been something as I was playing indoor hoops at the time of the injury.

Thanks for the clarification guys. Thankfully I never experienced anything like this in my playing days.

In terms of defense.  One thing I would like to remind you all of is that De'Ron set (no shattered) the Colorado high school record for blocked shots. 

Now, I realize the college game is much faster than in high school..... yet....

Most of you have not seen the De'Ron I have seen. 

I know what De'Ron is capable of.... and in the video... he basically admitted to playing well within himself, since getting to IU.

Give him another year.  And I think many of you will be pleasantly surprised by what you see. 

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

In terms of defense.  One thing I would like to remind you all of is that De'Ron set (no shattered) the Colorado high school record for blocked shots. 

I know what De'Ron is capable of.... and in the video... he basically admitted to playing well within himself, since getting to IU.

Give him another year.  And I think many of you will be pleasantly surprised by what you see. 

To me it appears that Davis really needs to work on his strength as well as getting his body in total shape.  To play the kind of defense he really needs to lose about 25 pounds and tone his upper body.  On offense he really needs to get better strength in his legs because he can't really get up and gets a lot of his shots blocked.

37 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

His defensive issues aren't so much at the rim. He has good time and does well with his limited athleticism, even if he does foul a lot. 

Where he got exposed was when he was pulled outside. He just couldn't keep up with the rotations. 

Archived