Rutgers Post Game

Inequality

You can't learn from losing if you don't lose. 

If learning from this helps us win on the road to clinch the championship later in the conference season, I'm glad we lost now. 

If learning from this helps us win the second game of a two-game stretch in the NCAA tournament, I'm glad we lost now. 

If we were somehow rewarded with a win playing this poorly, it could have had negative consequences later in the season.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Race has been bad all year, for whatever reason. He’s slow, plays below the rim, is indecisive and can’t hit an open shot. Opposing teams attack him and he’s our weakest defender. I’d like to see Reneau start with Duncombe as the backup 

I think the time is right to start Reneau against Nebraska and see if that lights a fire under Race.  Having Race motivated against Kansas and Arizona would be big. 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You can't learn from losing if you don't lose. 

If learning from this helps us win on the road to clinch the championship later in the conference season, I'm glad we lost now. 

If learning from this helps us win the second game of a two-game stretch in the NCAA tournament, I'm glad we lost now. 

If we were somehow rewarded with a win playing this poorly, it could have had negative consequences later in the season.  

giphy.gif

Honestly I'm most disappointed in TJD today. I know some other guys played bad or had off game.....but if he's the leader I think he is or we think he is it's his responsibility to have this team ready to go. He and his roommate need to have a tough conversation tonight.

Easy one on Wednesday so who cares....I want to see what we do vs Zona and Kansas after finals week. Rutgers has put the blueprint down for us so far. Jam him up. See how the rest responds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I think the time is right to start Reneau against Nebraska and see if that lights a fire under Race.  Having Race motivated against Kansas and Arizona would be big. 

I’m not sure I’d make that move, but if JHS is out I’d start Bates.

Galloway is the spark off of the bench for this team and I would rather him get the same minutes from there. Bates may or may play better too, but I’m really focused on getting the most out of TG. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

This is among the most frustrating games of the Mike Woodson Era. We don't lose to Rutgers because they're more talented than us, we lose because they play harder.

Positives from the game:

Kopp

TJD had a double double + 4 blocks

Defense was honestly fine, we held them to 63 points, we just didn't secure the ball well after the first attempt. 

Negatives:

Got SMOKED on the boards, absolutely pathetic. 

14 turnovers

Shot like crap, and honestly we had a lot of good looks we missed

SOFT

Only 9 assists - have to beat that type of pressure defense with more passing.

Refs were completely awful - missed plenty both ways but man do some of the really bad misses that stick out all go against us (X flagrant, X getting decapitated, TJD getting hit with no call, TJD getting hammered). Not saying any of those change the outcome but wow, unacceptable performance by the refs. 

Browsing at 11:58pm and not sure I need to read further… spot on. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Team misses Hood-Schfino….a lot.  Not the same team when he’s out.  Race needs to come off the bench, maybe light a fire under him.  Bates and Geronimo have got to be more consistent.  Gunn needs more playing time if Bates continues this way.

I actually thought Bates played fine, I would start him next game if JHS is out again. 

Gunn saw 1 min of action and in 2 offensive possessions he was in--- turnover, not in the right spot and we had to call a TO. 

Well damn. I’m at my in-laws and had to tape the game yesterday. Doesn’t sound like I’ll do myself any favors by watching it. 

Am disappointed we let this happen again in Rutgers. But, it’s a young season. 

I wonder what’s up with Race? He had the one really strong game, but doens’t seem like his old self. 

i find myself on both sides of the fence this morning.  i have really enjoyed watching this team and do think we are a solid, exciting team.  that said, i have been guarded from the beginning that we really hadn't had any tests other than Xavier on the road who is an outside the top 25 team, and a great exciting home win against NC who was clearly way overrated coming into the season.  then i swing back and say missing JHS is HUGE.  then i swing back to we lost a conference road game to a team who is not projected to be in the top 9 in the conference.  i'm just ticked bc this team seems like we shouldn't have complete stinkers like yesterday.  defense doesn't slump.  we have an all american in the post.  we have a lot of experience in the starting 5.  we have depth.  of course i'm still excited and will hope we don't lose many more conference games just because they're on the road, but i am definitely concerned that this won't be the special season i thought we were going to have.  

• Like 2