Nebraska Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Wednesday, December 7th 8:30 pm EST 

Where: Simon-Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: BTN

Nebraska comes into Bloomington after a game today vs 7th rank Creigton in Omaha...Currently they sit at 5-3 on the year...

image.png.f681237e66759df6042a82cf3ea7e909.png

No real marque wins, but Fred Hoiberg does have them playing pretty well...

image.thumb.png.75f6ebe65ae3d28ada968c93a3de77ab.png

Some familiar faces in there...Derrick Walker leads them in scoring, but he's never really been effective vs IU averaging 7 PPG in 3 career games against us. We know the Tominaga kid and CJ Wilcher can hit the 3. Both are over 40% on the season...Former Alabama 4 star recruit Juwan Gary hasn't had the kind of impact Hoiberg imagined, but he does have talent...SMU transfer Emmanuel Bandoumel has started all 8 games...

The games I saw them play, 6'6 North Dakota State transfer Sam Griesel was at the point, and he's not a point guard...They go 9 deep, but all 5 starters average near 30 MPG...

They'll give us a game. We need to rebound from the Rutgers loss, and perform well for the home crowd...Hoping we have JHS back...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, slojoe said:

This game will be no walk in the park.  Huskers won at Creighton 63-53.

Nebraska’s win at Creighton just proves anything can happen in the crazy world of college basketball. Does it mean that Nebraska is better than Creighton? No. Is Rutgers a better team than us? No, but they outplayed us on Saturday, and deserved to win. We’ll bounce back and be a better for it. We have too much talent, and are too well coached to let one bad game derail our season. I fully expect us to win on Wednesday and again on Saturday against Arizona - just need JHS back and healthy!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Nebraska’s win at Creighton just proves anything can happen in the crazy world of college basketball. Does it mean that Nebraska is better than Creighton? No. Is Rutgers a better team than us? No, but they outplayed us on Saturday, and deserved to win. We’ll bounce back and be a better for it. We have too much talent, and are too well coached to let one bad game derail our season. I fully expect us to win on Wednesday and again on Saturday against Arizona - just need JHS back and healthy!

Case in point Be winning at MSU

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

It also proves that Creighton was probably overrated from the jump.  These kids have to understand that they are not entitled to wins.  Wins must be earned and will take a lot more mental toughness than was displayed at Rutgers.

• Like 2

Mike Woodson's radio show

Courtesy of @The Daily Hoosier

Coach Woodson says what many on here have already thought in that we need to block out and get tougher on the boards, limit our turnovers, and execute better against changing defenses than we did in the Rutgers game. Also said having JHS available would have helped with the last issue...No status on Jalen's back, just "day-to-day."

Also said Nebraska likes to change it up on defense as well, so we'll need better recognition/execution against the Cornhuskers...

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mike Woodson's radio show

Courtesy of @The Daily Hoosier

Coach Woodson says what many on here have already thought in that we need to block out and get tougher on the boards, limit our turnovers, and execute better against changing defenses than we did in the Rutgers game. Also said having JHS available would have helped with the last issue...No status on Jalen's back, just "day-to-day."

Also said Nebraska likes to change it up on defense as well, so we'll need better recognition/execution against the Cornhuskers...

There is one sure fire way to take the changing defenses out of the equation.... 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There is one sure fire way to take the changing defenses out of the equation.... 

Sure...Rebound and get out in transition before the defense can get set...

I think we all realize that Galloway, Bates, and Geronimo are all more effective in transition than they are the half court...But we gotta rebound the ball first...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Sure...Rebound and get out in transition before the defense can get set...

I think we all realize that Galloway, Bates, and Geronimo are all more effective in transition than they are the half court...But we gotta rebound the ball first...

Hell yeah we do! 

RUN RUN RUN!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Hell yeah we do! 

RUN RUN RUN!! 

I agree with you 100%...

I do think for this team to be a national contender we have to get our half court offense better, not so much as in execution, but more by making the wide open shots we get...And I know that's no revelatkion to anyone here...

The link @KoB2011provided to @coachadragna's Twitter video proves we got good looks, which is about all Coach Woodson can influence...Now we need guys like Bates, JHS, and to a lesser extent Race, Galloway, and Geronimo, to step up and hit them...I know plenty of people will disagree, but I think those last 3 have to take them when they get an open look...

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with you 100%...

I do think for this team to be a national contender we have to get our half court offense better, not so much as in execution, but more by making the wide open shots we get...And I know that's no revelatkion to anyone here...

The link @KoB2011provided to @coachadragna's Twitter video proves we got good looks, which is about all Coach Woodson can influence...Now we need guys like Bates, JHS, and to a lesser extent Race, Galloway, and Geronimo, to step up and hit them...I know plenty of people will disagree, but I think those last 3 have to take them when they get an open look...

100% they do.

I am not mad at all with Race shooting... I'm pissed off because he doesn't take "in rhythm 3s" ... like, the way Race Thompson shoots his 3s is NOT how he practices them. Catch the ball, in rhythm, and let it fly. He catches.. pauses... judges the wind, and then shoots. Impossible for RT to be effective that way. Jordy Hulls? Reggie Miller? They can head butt a ball in... Race Thompson? Shoot it in rhythm. Don't think about it. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

100% they do.

I am not mad at all with Race shooting... I'm pissed off because he doesn't take "in rhythm 3s" ... like, the way Race Thompson shoots his 3s is NOT how he practices them. Catch the ball, in rhythm, and let it fly. He catches.. pauses... judges the wind, and then shoots. Impossible for RT to be effective that way. Jordy Hulls? Reggie Miller? They can head butt a ball in... Race Thompson? Shoot it in rhythm. Don't think about it. 

Exactly, great shooters don’t hesitate and think, they shoot!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

100% they do.

Agree with both you and @IUFLA! Those guys have to take open looks. If they aren't going to take them, then in close half-court game they are almost unplayable. 

Great observation on Race as well. How many times have we seen him catch the ball wide open beyond the arc and stand there hesitating for several seconds before deciding to put it up? Probably most of his 3's. Nobody is going to shoot well with that much doubt. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with you 100%...

Yeah, guys have to shoot open shots when they get them. Using Race as an example, he kept shooting them last year and he eventually started making them and it was a game changer for the offense.

Regarding the Rutgers game, even our good shooters, sans Kopp, missed shots. It's basketball, it happens, but I'm very comfortable that X and Bates will hit a few of the shots they missed more times than not. It just wasn't our day all around. 

• Like 2

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, guys have to shoot open shots when they get them. Using Race as an example, he kept shooting them last year and he eventually started making them and it was a game changer for the offense.

Regarding the Rutgers game, even our good shooters, sans Kopp, missed shots. It's basketball, it happens, but I'm very comfortable that X and Bates will hit a few of the shots they missed more times than not. It just wasn't our day all around. 

I'm for sure comfortable with those two, as well. I think it's just a matter of time for Bates. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree, but only if the shot clock is under 10. Way too many times we take a 3 very early in the shot clock, by somebody other than Kopp. We need to work the ball more and try to find holes in the defense. If we were a 40% shooting team from 3, that's a different story. But we're not.

• Like 1