Michigan State Post Game Thread

madmax

After predicting IU would lose by 20,  I thought, now that I posted that, watch them win.That didn't happen, but I'm as proud as I am disappointed.I never expected them to hang that close when the shots weren't falling.IU's domination of the glass was absolutely shocking!! It kept waiting for that Sparta lead to snowball.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

After predicting IU would lose by 20,  I thought, now that I posted that, watch them win.That didn't happen, but I'm as proud as I am disappointed.I never expected them to hang that close when the shots weren't falling.IU's domination of the glass was absolutely shocking!! It kept waiting for that Sparta lead to snowball.

Yeah, it wasn't even that we hung close with shots not falling; we dug ourselves out of a hole with shots not falling, our second best player in constant foul trouble and with some VERY questionable calls.  If all of Archie's team have this kind of fight we are going to have a great 30 years. 

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Who would you play instead of Johnson?

obviously we're stuck with RoJo the rest of this year, but i would like to see his minutes lessened and more time for guys who will be here next year.  you still have to start him to not bring on team animosity though.  he's going to have big games and he is going to have awful games.  it is what it is.   

Draining game. Every time we started to come back MSU would kill our momentum - the last dagger being that 3 by McQuaid. I love the effort but more of the same: no senior guard play and although we were over 70% from the line, missing crucial free throws in the final minutes.

I've done a complete 180 on the Newkirk/Green debate. Green has been making better decisions the last few games and is the only guard who can create offense. Now that we are completely out of it, I hope Green starts the rest of the games and Al gets back up minutes. Time to get the young guards some more experience - Newkirk has had multiple chances and I appreciate his effort, but he just does not have it and he has been putting us at a competitive disadvantage. As far as the back court goes (which still looks to be a weakness next year sans Romeo), we need to start playing for next year starting NOW.

Rutgers is a dangerous game on Monday. We are playing away, Rutgers has been playing tough, and we haven't proved we can come in and compete after an emotional 'moral victory'. I think Freddie earned another start. I'd like to see:

Green
RoJo
McBob
Freddie
Juwan

Great to see the confidence McRoberts is developing on the offensive end. We know what he's always going to bring in terms of defense and hustle. If he can become a consistent threat offensively, that opens things up more for everyone else. His crossover on the break yesterday was quite impressive. Love to see what he can do next year if he looks to score within the flow of the offense. 

30 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Draining game. Every time we started to come back MSU would kill our momentum - the last dagger being that 3 by McQuaid. I love the effort but more of the same: no senior guard play and although we were over 70% from the line, missing crucial free throws in the final minutes.

I've done a complete 180 on the Newkirk/Green debate. Green has been making better decisions the last few games and is the only guard who can create offense. Now that we are completely out of it, I hope Green starts the rest of the games and Al gets back up minutes. Time to get the young guards some more experience - Newkirk has had multiple chances and I appreciate his effort, but he just does not have it and he has been putting us at a competitive disadvantage. As far as the back court goes (which still looks to be a weakness next year sans Romeo), we need to start playing for next year starting NOW.

Rutgers is a dangerous game on Monday. We are playing away, Rutgers has been playing tough, and we haven't proved we can come in and compete after an emotional 'moral victory'. I think Freddie earned another start. I'd like to see:

Green
RoJo
McBob
Freddie
Juwan

I'm with you on Green and your lineup.

I thought the dagger was Tum Tums 3. Right at the end of the shot clock when we played great defense. The Hall was about to erupt with a stop and a score.  MSU didn't play great, but they hit a few key shots to keep us from seizing momentum.

7 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

If this team was coached by Crean they would have gotten blown out,plus the fact that Izzo always seem to beat his former assistant .

59 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm with you on Green and your lineup.

I thought the dagger was Tum Tums 3. Right at the end of the shot clock when we played great defense. The Hall was about to erupt with a stop and a score.  MSU didn't play great, but they hit a few key shots to keep us from seizing momentum.

I thought the same on Tums 3. I told my wife their worst shooter just killed us with a 3!

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Green
RoJo
McBob
Freddie
Juwan

I've done the same 180.  Green should be getting the bulk of the minutes at the 1.  Let him build some momentum.

I think Archie agrees FWIW.  He left him in after a couple quick shots yesterday that normally sees him get yanked.  

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I've done the same 180.  Green should be getting the bulk of the minutes at the 1.  Let him build some momentum.

I think Archie agrees FWIW.  He left him in after a couple quick shots yesterday that normally sees him get yanked.  

Can we call this 1/3 Green playing better, 1/3 Newkirk disappearing and only 1/3 eating crow? 

56 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Can we call this 1/3 Green playing better, 1/3 Newkirk disappearing and only 1/3 eating crow? 

Ditto. Though, I think it took the poor performance in the Purdue game to open his eyes/light a fire. I would kind of go 40-40-20 😀

45 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Uh, Tom Crean's teams consistently beat top 5 teams in Assembly Hall.....just sayin'       :coffee:

He did, but never with a team this devoid of talent, and never with a team this challenged offensively. He always had two McDonald’s All-Americans, minimum, when he was doing that. 

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

Uh, Tom Crean's teams consistently beat top 5 teams in Assembly Hall.....just sayin'       :coffee:

Crean is lucky not to coach this team this year. When he beat great opponents at home, he had talents. He was not known for getting more from less, which I think a major factor that separates great ones from good ones. 

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

Uh,I said this team...the one that played last night....not talking about the past teams who have beat top 5 teams...there is a big talent gap there...I would love for Crean to have left one of those teams...:coffee:

I hate to harp on the refs again, but the missed out of bounds on Bridges was actually the difference in the game. It was such a bad call and it actually changed the outcome of the game that the B1G needs to publicly address it. 

They won't because they've to go protect the brand, but they should. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I hate to harp on the refs again, but the missed out of bounds on Bridges was actually the difference in the game. It was such a bad call and it actually changed the outcome of the game that the B1G needs to publicly address it. 

They won't because they've to go protect the brand, but they should. 

I was wondering about this. Is there even any kind of review process for these refs to evaluate their work, correct mistakes, etc? Or, are they allowed to just keep working with no quality assurance program in place?

I know a few years ago there was some outcry over guys that were reffing multiple games a week in multiple conferences, but has anything been done to address this problem?

It just seems that with the amount of money that networks are paying to broadcast so many games that there would be an emphasis on improving the quality of the refs.

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

Crean is lucky not to coach this team this year. When he beat great opponents at home, he had talents. He was not known for getting more from less, which I think a major factor that separates great ones from good ones. 

Look, I get that we are talking about this team, and I only posted that comment to have a little fun, but to be fair, when we beat those top 5 teams at home, we were not the "Favorite", so by definition, he did get more from less in those games.

Archived