Archie is our coach present and future

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Our offense isn’t perfect, I’d still like to see more off-ball screens (we do more than the Crean era, but I’d still like more), but IU misses numerous completely wide open shots. Getting open, good looks has not been a problem. 

I agree, but it will be tougher once we actually have shooters.  If you're coaching defense against us, you tell your guys to give our guards space until they show they can shoot it, and tell them to help off their guy onto Morgan.  Getting bad shooters open is a lot easier than getting great shooters open.

As long as we can get shooters open once we actually have them, I'll be happy as a clam.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I agree, but it will be tougher once we actually have shooters.  If you're coaching defense against us, you tell your guys to give our guards space until they show they can shoot it, and tell them to help off their guy onto Morgan.  Getting bad shooters open is a lot easier than getting great shooters open.

As long as we can get shooters open once we actually have them, I'll be happy as a clam.

It’s not harder to get good scorers/shooters open if you have several of them, then it’s much easier. 

12 hours ago, cohete15 said:

I'll agree with you that pretty much every IU team has a shot to beat anyone at Assembly Hall. The difference is...under Crean, we played highly ranked teams closely at home (sometimes) because we drained threes...that type of play isn't repeatable over the course of a season, or 9 years...hence why he isn't our coach anymore. Counting on out-shooting opponents every game is a recipe for Crean-level results. 

Under Archie, we are in these games because of defense, rebounding, hustle, grit. That stuff travels. That stuff gets you more consistent wins. That stuff defines a program culture. That stuff sets the floor for the season and raises the ceiling. These games we've been close in are not even remotely comparable to the Crean games.

I don't want this to be a Crean-bashing thread, because there's no reason to bash him, but what do you think last night's score would have been if he was our coach? You think we only have 8 turnovers? You think we out-rebound them even by 1? It's fine for you to play devils advocate, it's fine for you to have tempered expectations, but you're pretty off base with this post. We just out-rebounded MSU 53-29. I don't have to remind of you of the height/size disparity. We lost by 3 to MSU and shot 29%. We shot 21% from three and hit less than half the number of 3's they hit. We turned it over 8 times. Did Crean ever coach a single game with less than 10 turnovers? It will be much, much easier to add offense to this culture, than to add this culture to offense. 

But...to answer your question...Archie.

Great post! When Crean was coaching and we would win 90 to 83 it was like... meh..we won but also had 15 turnovers and gave up 20 layups..I knew there was no way we were going to be able to do that for 4 games (to reach final four) in a row let alone 6.. at some point you are going to have an off shooting night..

To win 6 in a row at some point the going is gonna get tough.. it's about having the toughness, grit, and the defensive mindset to get those stops and win those 50/50 plays to advance. It seems like In the tourney tons of games come down the stretch run (last 4/5 minutes) and are won in the half court by being tougher, smarter, more deciplined..not running around allowing straight line drives to the rim and chucking threes and throwing the ball around..

Just think we shot 3-16 from three and missed 7 free throws and it was a one possession game under a minute to go against a team that had won 16 and straight and is arguably Purdue's best team ever.. and we were severely undersized.. then we shoot 4-19 against Michigan state team that dang near might win it all and almost beat them..how... because we out worked them, we out toughed them, we played D, we took care of the ball, we boxed out, rebounded, and made it really really hard on them even though they were clearly more skilled. Listen to Izzo presser after game he even admits all this! 

Archie's style prepares us to win BIG and I fully believe we will! For the first time since  Knight it's nice knowing that we have a coach that will pit our team in a position to win with his gameplans, matchups, adjustmeants made in game, and most importantly the toughness he brings that is needed to win those huge possessions. 

I know this year is tough with the lack of shooting and overall talent on the roster but enjoy the ride guys and gals because we are about to do a lot of winning!!

p.s. Enjoy this year Purdue because you're going to get a full dose of L's from Archie Miller for a long time! 

5 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Great post! When Crean was coaching and we would win 90 to 83 it was like... meh..we won but also had 15 turnovers and gave up 20 layups..I knew there was no way we were going to be able to do that for 4 games (to reach final four) in a row let alone 6.. at some point you are going to have an off shooting night..

To win 6 in a row at some point the going is gonna get tough.. it's about having the toughness, grit, and the defensive mindset to get those stops and win those 50/50 plays to advance. It seems like In the tourney tons of games come down the stretch run (last 4/5 minutes) and are won in the half court by being tougher, smarter, more deciplined..not running around allowing straight line drives to the rim and chucking threes and throwing the ball around..

Just think we shot 3-16 from three and missed 7 free throws and it was a one possession game under a minute to go against a team that had won 16 and straight and is arguably Purdue's best team ever.. and we were severely undersized.. then we shoot 4-19 against Michigan state team that dang near might win it all and almost beat them..how... because we out worked them, we out toughed them, we played D, we took care of the ball, we boxed out, rebounded, and made it really really hard on them even though they were clearly more skilled. Listen to Izzo presser after game he even admits all this! 

Archie's style prepares us to win BIG and I fully believe we will! For the first time since  Knight it's nice knowing that we have a coach that will pit our team in a position to win with his gameplans, matchups, adjustmeants made in game, and most importantly the toughness he brings that is needed to win those huge possessions. 

I know this year is tough with the lack of shooting and overall talent on the roster but enjoy the ride guys and gals because we are about to do a lot of winning!!

p.s. Enjoy this year Purdue because you're going to get a full dose of L's from Archie Miller for a long time! 

One of the better posts I’ve ever read!

10 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Great post!

Hard to really project going forward without knowing important things like whether Morgan will be back (I believe he will be) or whether we land Langford (who knows) or a comparable player (there aren't many).

That said, I think we'll be better next season, but playing for the bubble or a low seed, and better the next, comfortably in the tourney and growing. 

I do believe CAM's style of play, at this point, projects better for long-term success and tourney success -- however, how successful he will be is going to depend in part, maybe in large part, on how well his recruiting develops. You can't win big without the top players, at least not regularly. As of now, he looks to be a very good recruiter, but how good, at this level in the B1G, we really don't know yet.

I like the direction, and as of now I think we got the "right guy," but I'm not ready to say he's definitely going to excel at IU. I think that's still premature. One factor here, in recruiting, is do the top guys WANT to play in his system (top scoring guards and wings  today generally prefer teams that get out and run), do they think they will get highlighted, do they think IU will be running deep in March? Still work to do.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hard to really project going forward without knowing important things like whether Morgan will be back (I believe he will be) or whether we land Langford (who knows) or a comparable player (there aren't many).

That said, I think we'll be better next season, but playing for the bubble or a low seed, and better the next, comfortably in the tourney and growing. 

I do believe CAM's style of play, at this point, projects better for long-term success and tourney success -- however, how successful he will be is going to depend in part, maybe in large part, on how well his recruiting develops. You can't win big without the top players, at least not regularly. As of now, he looks to be a very good recruiter, but how good, at this level in the B1G, we really don't know yet.

I like the direction, and as of now I think we got the "right guy," but I'm not ready to say he's definitely going to excel at IU. I think that's still premature. One factor here, in recruiting, is do the top guys WANT to play in his system (top scoring guards and wings  today generally prefer teams that get out and run), do they think they will get highlighted, do they think IU will be running deep in March? Still work to do.

Quick question........do we really know what CAM's system is?  How many people here followed Dayton?  We might be seeing something this year that Arch is just making the best of with what he has to work with.  Knight was defensive oriented, but they scored a lot too.  Just some thoughts.

38 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I get the questions about recruiting the elite players. But his first recruiting class is Thompson, Phinisee, Hunter, and Anderson as 4-* players. Forrester as our only 3-* player. That is a hell of a start strictly from a talent standpoint for a coach who was on the job just a few months when getting those commitments if you ask me. Obviously Romeo is the icing on top of the already well assembled cake. But this is already a talented, well rounded class that will be together for 3 or 4 years. 

Plus he is building a balanced roster, position wise and size wise, that we never really saw under Crean. I don't think we will see anymore IU teams forced to run a 3 guard, 6'4" and under line up under Archie again. We are in great shape with a few 5-* players for '19 (I understand nothing is done until they have signed). But we look to at least be in good enough shape to be optimistic about the future recruiting. 

If we are 90% 4-*'s and 10% 5-* and 3-*'s, that is better than we have been since the early 90's.

Just my 2 cents. 

2 hours ago, IUaic said:

I get the questions about recruiting the elite players. But his first recruiting class is Thompson, Phinisee, Hunter, and Anderson as 4-* players. Forrester as our only 3-* player. That is a hell of a start strictly from a talent standpoint for a coach who was on the job just a few months when getting those commitments if you ask me. Obviously Romeo is the icing on top of the already well assembled cake. But this is already a talented, well rounded class that will be together for 3 or 4 years. 

Plus he is building a balanced roster, position wise and size wise, that we never really saw under Crean. I don't think we will see anymore IU teams forced to run a 3 guard, 6'4" and under line up under Archie again. We are in great shape with a few 5-* players for '19 (I understand nothing is done until they have signed). But we look to at least be in good enough shape to be optimistic about the future recruiting. 

If we are 90% 4-*'s and 10% 5-* and 3-*'s, that is better than we have been since the early 90's.

Just my 2 cents. 

That first class looks pretty good, on paper, at this point, but then how it pans remains to be seen, and there are no truly elite players in that class (strictly according to rankings) unless Langford joins it. I definitely think it's a good start, and on short time, but how good remains to be seen.

I have to disagree with you on the Crean recruiting point. Seriously, the Cody and then Vic to Wat groups were really well structured teams, that obviously competed at the top. The problem with Crean's recruiting was lack of depth, leaving big down years when guys graduated and/or went pro, but he had outstanding recruiting classes interspersed inbetween (even leaving out the largely failed 'movement' class, that was, btw, one of the top 10 classes in the country). 

I agree on 90% 4-stars / 10% 5-stars. but whether we get there is an unknown.

4 hours ago, rico said:

Quick question........do we really know what CAM's system is?  How many people here followed Dayton?  We might be seeing something this year that Arch is just making the best of with what he has to work with.  Knight was defensive oriented, but they scored a lot too.  Just some thoughts.

I'd say yes. His system is pretty well established, and he brought the pack line in. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That first class looks pretty good, on paper, at this point, but then how it pans remains to be seen, and there are no truly elite players in that class (strictly according to rankings) unless Langford joins it. I definitely think it's a good start, and on short time, but how good remains to be seen.

I have to disagree with you on the Crean recruiting point. Seriously, the Cody and then Vic to Wat groups were really well structured teams, that obviously competed at the top. The problem with Crean's recruiting was lack of depth, leaving big down years when guys graduated and/or went pro, but he had outstanding recruiting classes interspersed inbetween (even leaving out the largely failed 'movement' class, that was, btw, one of the top 10 classes in the country). 

I agree on 90% 4-stars / 10% 5-stars. but whether we get there is an unknown.

Your comment about lack of depth is what I was referring to as roster balance. Crean brought in the Burger Boys, but instead of balancing them with solid 4-* players, he took chances on 3-* recruits. We know which ones excelled and which ones were disasters, so we don't need to rehash that.

What I see out of Archie is if everyone comes back, we are going to have (on paper) quality depth at every position, as you say most of it remains to be seen. This is my general thought on where each player COULD be slotted. With 2 more scholarships to give to Romeo and a transfer, it could only improve the teams depth. Barring someone exploding or a transfer, we would only lose Morgan and McRoberts (possibly Romeo and a grad transfer) from the group below, setting up a really solid team for '19/'20. This is a recipe for sustained success, not a build up for a 1 or 2 year run and then reload for the next 2 to 3 years.

Guards - Green 3-*, Phinisee 4-*, Durham 3-*.

Guard/Wing - Anderson 4-*, McRoberts WalkOn, Romeo 5-*?

Wingg/Forward - Morgan 4-*, Smith 4-*, Hunter 4-*, Moore 3-*.

Bigs - Davis 4-*, Thompson 4-*, Forrester 3-*

Again, this is just my opinion, but I am pretty excited for the future. When I think back to the 1,000 page thread last year during the hiring process, Donovan probably would have had us better this year and good for the next 15 to 20 years had he stayed. Archie will take a little slower approach to building the team, but could have us good for the next 25 to 30 years.

Archived