Rutgers Pregame Thread

Just now, jefftheref said:

Mile, I agree totally with you. Get rid of Maryland and Rutgers. Bring in a couple schools like Kansas, Iowa State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma or even Missouri. In my opinion the Big 10 is in the midwest not the east coast. The Big 10 Tourney should be held in Big 10 country (Indianapolis) not in Washington D.C. or New York. 

Move the BIG tournament back to Indy and Chicago on a yearly rotating basis.  It's because we have to play the BIG tournament in NY this year (where it does not belong) that we have such a messed up BIG schedule, with compressed games with long travel times, and separated by just a few days.

As far as tonight's big game is concerned.....Our beloved Hoosiers have never lost to Rutgers.... going back to 1980.  We are 6-0 against Rutgers.... all time.  And our Hoosiers have been winning those games by a 12.3 PPG average.  Of concern to me is that IU is 1-5 on the road,  in BIG play, so far this season.

6 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Mile, how bad was it under Greenspan and was he the problem or was it the turmoil in the basketball program?

Our athletic program ran in the red for years.  It was not until we started getting Big Ten Network money, that we started running in the black.

My [censured , censured , censured ]  crystal ball says Rutgers 71 IU 67 !! Man , i sure hope that flipping crystal ball is wrong , wrong ,wrong !! The Hoosiers absolutely need this win to at least make the post season NIT !! I am thinking that The Hoosiers need at least 4 more wins   !!!!

P.S. Rutgers just lost by ONY 2 POINTS at home to the pee yew smellermakers !! Rutgers is coached by one of the most UNDERRATED Coaches in college basketball ( currently) ! In time I think he and Rutgers is going to start getting the respect they deserve !! P.S. Rutgers is 12 & 7 at home and IU is 1 & 7 on the road !! It will take a HUMONGOUS TEAM effort to beat Rutgers tonight ! Again , I feel this is a MUST WIN GAME !!

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think we lose tonight too. Quick turnaround after a tough, close game. Rutgers isn't great, but they are much better than they've been in recent years and they aren't easy to beat at home. 

Have you seen any of their games?  I haven't had a chance to watch any of them yet.

From looking at their schedule, they seem to have been really random at home.  Just from looking at the scores, it looks like they play to the level of their competition.  Some close "moral victories" and some bad losses.  Looks to be a toss up game.  With Kenpom ranking in parenthesis, here were some home games that stuck out.  I linked the ESPN summary of the game if anybody wants a closer look.

Also, they're ranked 283rd on offense and 19th on defense on Kenpom.  With the way we've been shooting and playing defense, I'd take the under (128).

Snuck by Central Connecticut State (292)

Stayed right with FSU (21)

Close to MSU til the last few minutes (6)

Lost to Stony Brook in OT (237)

Lost to Hartford (215)

Beat Wisconsin (95) and blew out Iowa (103)

Lost to Purdue by 2 (3)

20 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Have you seen any of their games?  I haven't had a chance to watch any of them yet.

From looking at their schedule, they seem to have been really random at home.  Just from looking at the scores, it looks like they play to the level of their competition.  Some close "moral victories" and some bad losses.  Looks to be a toss up game.  With Kenpom ranking in parenthesis, here were some home games that stuck out.  I linked the ESPN summary of the game if anybody wants a closer look.

Also, they're ranked 283rd on offense and 19th on defense on Kenpom.  With the way we've been shooting and playing defense, I'd take the under (128).

Snuck by Central Connecticut State (292)

Stayed right with FSU (21)

Close to MSU til the last few minutes (6)

Lost to Stony Brook in OT (237)

Lost to Hartford (215)

Beat Wisconsin (95) and blew out Iowa (103)

Lost to Purdue by 2 (3)

I've only caught parts of a few, though they were always at home and the atmosphere seemed pretty good. Not sure what it would be like on a Monday thought. I probably caught parts of their games where they were playing up to the level of good competition, so it's jading my perspective. 

This team gets up to play against "better" opposition, then does just enough to lose as lack of overall talent takes its toll.  However, against mediocre opposition, at least so far, this team cannot seem to muster the intensity and fortitude to play the same way, so (see Ft Wayne, IL, Wisc, etc) they manage to lose against teams they should beat handily.  Therefore, I do not expect too much tonight.  I do think next year will be different and much better though.

Can't fully articulate why, but I think we come out tonight and stomp Rutgers. Part of me thinks that because of the way CAM described the locker room after the MSU game, when he said that if they could play again that night they would. I think(and hope) that the team is sick of losing and ready to right the ship. I think we get this one and maybe go on a little streak to end the season.

Been wrong before, but man I would love to be right on this one.

21 minutes ago, madmax said:

Can't fully articulate why, but I think we come out tonight and stomp Rutgers. Part of me thinks that because of the way CAM described the locker room after the MSU game, when he said that if they could play again that night they would. I think(and hope) that the team is sick of losing and ready to right the ship. I think we get this one and maybe go on a little streak to end the season.

Unfortunately I think this game has blowout for us written all over it.  Road game on 2 days rest.   Just doesn't seem like we have much chance.  It also wouldn't surprise me to see Newkirk and RJ check out soon as the season is over and they have nothing to play for.

37 minutes ago, madmax said:

Just a gut feel but I agree we win pretty handily. I think it comes down to the mental state after both teams lost close games to superior talent. IU was in the game because of toughness and defense, Rutgers was in the game because of hot shooting (best I could get from the box score) I think our guys continue the toughness and defense while Rutgers cools off.

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Just a gut feel but I agree we win pretty handily. I think it comes down to the mental state after both teams lost close games to superior talent. IU was in the game because of toughness and defense, Rutgers was in the game because of hot shooting (best I could get from the box score) I think our guys continue the toughness and defense while Rutgers cools off.

Rutgers was in it because they outrebounded PU by 12 total and 8 on the offensive boards and hit 6-12 from 3.   I agree I think we win #2 on the road tonight.

57 minutes ago, madmax said:

This team deserves to come out on the right side of a stomping. Just heard the Rutgers coach saying rebounding was going to be a key to the game. Was impressed we outrebounded MSU by the margin we did.

Archived