Rutgers post game thread

madmax

Could not watch. Listened to most of 2nd half on SiriusXM which was the Rutgers feed. Their commentators said that IU was playing like the best defensive team they've faced all year. 

They also made a point of mentioning Freddie making 4 free throws in a row. My thought was, where were these vs MSU when we really could have used them?:panic:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Could not watch. Listened to most of 2nd half on SiriusXM which was the Rutgers feed. Their commentators said that IU was playing like the best defensive team they've faced all year. 

They also made a point of mentioning Freddie making 4 free throws in a row. My thought was, where were these vs MSU when we really could have used them?:panic:

Freddie hit more FTs than the ready of the team, I think. Or at least as many

46 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Let's say we win out...we probably finish top 5 in conference then have wins over Nebraska and OSU. Make the BTT finals and that's probably two more wins against top 4 teams. 

Not saying we would be in, but hard to say we wouldn't. 

That's a tough call, like you said. Some could depend on what happens in other conference tournaments. The less upsets, the more at-large bids, better our chances.

Also, if it came down to IU and another bubble team, I would hope that our performances against Duke, MSU, Purdue would be considered. But they may not make selections with that stuff in mind.

Love the play of Green lately. He's the only guy we have who can create offense for somebody else. Anything good we do offensively either comes from feeding Morgan, or Green creating. He'll make some mistakes because he takes risks and tries to make things happen, but I hope he starts the rest of the way.

Good to see RoJo get his stroke going.  I also thought it looked like Newkirk has checked out.  I really hope that isn't the case.  Green is improving, and I could't be happier for Freddie, he is coming on at the right time.  Finally, I know he needs to finish, but I loved Justin Smith's aggressiveness.  We are definitely not a team anyone wants to see in the B1G tourney.

1 minute ago, Muddy River said:

Good to see RoJo get his stroke going.  I also thought it looked like Newkirk has checked out.  I really hope that isn't the case.  Green is improving, and I could't be happier for Freddie, he is coming on at the right time.  Finally, I know he needs to finish, but I loved Justin Smith's aggressiveness.  We are definitely not a team anyone wants to see in the B1G tourney.

Imagine if Freddie could start finishing better. That would be a huge boost. He should be an automatic double-double every game because his rebounding is so elite. 

2 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Agreed with all of this, really hope Newkirk gets past this.  And when Justin Smith figures out how to finish he will be an impact player.

43 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

God, let's do something. I don't think the team could shoot much worse from the line.  I'd be to the point of telling them to shoot jump shots if it helped.

I've said it many times...there is no way this team is practicing enough free throws.

Have you seen us shoot jump shots?

22 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I forgot to add that I detest, despise and loathe TV Ted.

Great win! Defense was a thing of beauty. Great to see RoJo come out aggressive, and so exciting to see Green start to figure things out. The ball movement was fantastic. Morgan was Morgan, McRoberts was McRoberts, and great to see McSwain really finding a niche. 

Can we stop with the talk that Newkirk has “checked out” or that he’s being selfish? He’s struggling big time, his confidence is at rock bottom and I don’t know how he gets that back, but he’s playing hard, it’s not lack of effort. But when your confidence is that low you tend to make bad decisions and sometimes take some bad shots because you’re pressing and hoping things go well, as opposed to just playing basketball. 

I also hope Smith can regain his confidence. He’s not playing terrible, but he’s getting a tough break on some calls and having trouble finishing. 

With all that said, a really exciting win and hopefully we can build off it. That Illinois is still a kick in the pants. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Have you seen us shoot jump shots?

Yeah...not great there either. I'm grasping at straws here because I'm just baffled at how scholarship athletes could be so bad from the line. I don't have the numbers in front of me but didn't we shoot just as well from the arc as we did from the line? Maybe jump shots aren't so far-fetched after all...

I'll never get tired of 20+ point road wins. Regardless of opponent. Shows me that our team is and has learned from past mistakes on the road (Wiscy, Illinois). 2 games we have no business losing.

Not that the gauntlet schedule is done. We can finish off strong, win I think 4 of 5 (if not all) and just make ourselves a tough out in league play. Would really like to keep or get to 6 seed in conf tourney play. Start with 14 seed (Rutgers) and play 3 seed next (Ohio St or Michigan). This is a scenario I could see us getting to Saturday in tourney play. 

After that. Get a verbal from Romeo and head into off season with a ton of momentum. 

I cancelled (british version) cable years ago and didn't feel like going down to the bar last night for game so I listened to radio (which I really miss) and followed via twitter/online,etc...

My question or comment is. For that do this option routinely...the people that cover IU whether it's Herald, Star or the 3-4 other sites and 2-3 of their guys are pretty darn soft....or either like to pile on the complaint train. Or just bi--- in general.

We hold Rutgers to 16 points on the road in first half and all I hear is complaining/moaning and bi------.....I joked to one of them that #iubb in 2017 said we need defense,etc....and now in 2018 its this team sucks at shooting without acknowledging the defense. Kind of neurotic. Anyway...just a casual observation. Nice solid road win.

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll never get tired of 20+ point road wins. Regardless of opponent. Shows me that our team is and has learned from past mistakes on the road (Wiscy, Illinois). 2 games we have no business losing.

Not that the gauntlet schedule is done. We can finish off strong, win I think 4 of 5 (if not all) and just make ourselves a tough out in league play. Would really like to keep or get to 6 seed in conf tourney play. Start with 14 seed (Rutgers) and play 3 seed next (Ohio St or Michigan). This is a scenario I could see us getting to Saturday in tourney play. 

After that. Get a verbal from Romeo and head into off season with a ton of momentum. 

If we are the 6th seed we would play the winner of the 11th seed vs the 14th seed game so I doubt we would play Rutgers.

20 hours ago, cohete15 said:

That's a tough call, like you said. Some could depend on what happens in other conference tournaments. The less upsets, the more at-large bids, better our chances.

Also, if it came down to IU and another bubble team, I would hope that our performances against Duke, MSU, Purdue would be considered. But they may not make selections with that stuff in mind.

4 losses to teams outside the top 150 will factor into the decision much more than playing some high level teams close. We have 4 really really bad loses that aren't going to go away. At this point we have to win the btt to have a chance. I strongly doubt that any bubble team we would be matched up against would have similar losses. 

Not sure if anyone knows how to find what the lowest ranked team in the rip that has ever received an at large bid was? And how many sub 150 teams they lost too?

With the big ten being down this year, teams 5-14 it really doesn't help with additional chance for quality wins and would be used against us on selection sunday.

3 hours ago, Riverrat said:

4 losses to teams outside the top 150 will factor into the decision much more than playing some high level teams close. We have 4 really really bad loses that aren't going to go away. At this point we have to win the btt to have a chance. I strongly doubt that any bubble team we would be matched up against would have similar losses. 

Not sure if anyone knows how to find what the lowest ranked team in the rip that has ever received an at large bid was? And how many sub 150 teams they lost too?

With the big ten being down this year, teams 5-14 it really doesn't help with additional chance for quality wins and would be used against us on selection sunday.

I think who we beat will matter too. Not sure of RPI, but we currently have 3 top 50 KenPom wins. We could pick up as many as 4 more if we make it to the BTT championship game without a loss, including what would likely be two top 20 wins. All the while, we should be within the top 50 in most computer metrics if that happens. I would say that puts us on the bubble and perhaps the right side of it. 

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Do they still use final ten games as a criterion?  Do well there with an 11-7 B1G record, and a couple wins in the BTT, we could get close.  

The Wisconsin loss still sticks in my craw.  They weren’t Happ-less but they are a hapless team.  That should never have happened. Ditto with Illinois.  

I think that taking the final 10 went out a few years ago. 

As far as RPI Maryland is our best win at 55. 

If we can play our selves into the rpi top 60 we may have a shot but that seems like a very tall task with how low we currently are and how many games we have remaining. OSU is our only guaranteed shot at a high level win remaining. We are currently 109 according to realtimerpi. 

Archived