Jump to content

Morgan's All B1G Season


Recommended Posts

Some nice stats posted on InsideTheHall on Morgan -- His B1G rankings include

2nd in effective FG percentage

4th in 2-point FG percentage

9th in Fouls drawn

11th in block percentage

12th in defensive rebounding percentage.

And he just scored plus 20 in 5 of his past 6 games.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2018/02/06/five-takeaways-indianas-win-rutgers-2/

Will be interesting to see where he ends up in the all B1G teams, has really turned into a monster player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

During the game, Robbie Hummell (who I think does a really good job) listed his 1st team. Mentioned that Juwan certainly has played well enough to be considered, but he took winning into account.

I doubt he is alone in that thought process. So, that may hurt.

Regardless, Juwan is a really good basketball player. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t think Juwan will make first team, but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t played at a first team all-conference level this season. Winning and hype play a role, and he doesn’t really have those factors weighing in his favor.  He’ll be second team for sure though.  He’s had the best season of any post player IU has had in years.

Who would you rather have?

Player A:

29.5 mpg, .564 FG% (9.8 attempts per game), .567 2P% (9.8 attempts per game), .000 3P% (0.1 attempts per game), .757 FT% (7.2 attempts per game), 8 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1 spg, 1.3 bpg, 2.3 TOPG, 16.5 ppg

Player B:

28.7 mpg, .591 FG% (11 attempts per game), .642 2P% (9.3 attempts per game), .310 3P% (1.7 attempts per game), .632 FT% (5.3 attempts per game), 7.3 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1 spg, 1.3 bpg, 1.5 TOPG, 16.8 ppg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Don’t think Juwan will make first team, but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t played at a first team all-conference level this season. Winning and hype play a role, and he doesn’t really have those factors weighing in his favor.  He’ll be second team for sure though.  He’s had the best season of any post player IU has had in years.

Who would you rather have?

Player A:

29.5 mpg, .564 FG% (9.8 attempts per game), .567 2P% (9.8 attempts per game), .000 3P% (0.1 attempts per game), .757 FT% (7.2 attempts per game), 8 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1 spg, 1.3 bpg, 2.3 TOPG, 16.5 ppg

Player B:

28.7 mpg, .591 FG% (11 attempts per game), .642 2P% (9.3 attempts per game), .310 3P% (1.7 attempts per game), .632 FT% (5.3 attempts per game), 7.3 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1 spg, 1.3 bpg, 1.5 TOPG, 16.8 ppg

Is this Happ vs Morgan? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, btownqb said:

No way two Purdue players should be above Juwan. 

I honestly think the Purdue guys will take some votes from each other. And unless I’m mistaken, don’t they usually pick by position somewhat? So Carsen mking it over Juwan doesn’t mean much since he’s a guard and Juwan is a forward. The real question would be Vince over Juwan. Bates-Diop is a lock for the first team and I also think you’ll see Bridges so there’s a decent chance neither Morgan nor Vince make the 1st team. For 1st team, I could see it being Carsen, Palmer Jr, Bridges, Bates-Diop, and Carr maybe? I feel like Purdue will have at least 1 guy on the 1st team, probably 2 on the 2nd team, and then maybe 1 on the 3rd team. In my opinion, Carsen, Vince, Haas, and Mathias all deserve to be on one of those 3 teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Reacher said:

Lots of variables...

Team record to finish the year

Morgan's stats in upcoming games

Does he have a monster game? Get a B1G player of the week?

How the other players finish. Someone fading, getting injured could scramble things

Well Juwan was National and B1G POW......

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/12/18/mens-basketball-juwan-morgan-named-ncaa-com-and-big-ten-player-of-the-week.aspx

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Is this Happ vs Morgan? 

Morgan vs. sophomore Cody Zeller.  I knew Zeller was a better free throw shooter and took no threes, but I was pretty surprised Juwan was pretty much the same or better across the board aside from that.  Although the shooting percentages make sense — I’ve thought Juwan has finished better at the rim all season than Zeller did that year.

Here are Happ’s current stats for comparison:

30.1 mpg, .536 FG% (13.3 attempts), .550 2P% (12.9 attempts), .100 3P% (0.4 attempts), .553 FT% (5.6 attempts), 8.4 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.9 bpg, 2.9 TOPG, 17.4 ppg.  

You could make an argument for either.  Juwan is way more efficient, Happ averages more points, rebounds, assists.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Difference maker for me between Morgan vs. Happ, is Morgan is the ONLY consistent player on IU, whereas Happ is just another good player on a team of other good players.....

You’re kidding I’m guessing? Happ is surrounded by absolutely no one this year. He’s their entire team. I like IU’s talent this year more than Wisconsin’s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Difference maker for me between Morgan vs. Happ, is Morgan is the ONLY consistent player on IU, whereas Happ is just another good player on a team of other good players.....

that could work for or against a guy's case as being all-conference.

One could argue that with no other good players on the team, that defenses will specifically game-plan to stop the one stud. Juwan excelling using that argument could lead to a first team nod.

On the other hand, the argument could be made that, with so few other options on the team, someone has to score and rebound. In that scenario, unless the team really stockpiles wins at the end of the season, his contributions may not be deemed as valuable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

that could work for or against a guy's case as being all-conference.

One could argue that with no other good players on the team, that defenses will specifically game-plan to stop the one stud. Juwan excelling using that argument could lead to a first team nod.

On the other hand, the argument could be made that, with so few other options on the team, someone has to score and rebound. In that scenario, unless the team really stockpiles wins at the end of the season, his contributions may not be deemed as valuable

That is exactly what my thoughts are.

And no Boiler, I'm not kidding.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^ I wonder what IU's record would be without Morgan, maybe winless? 

Not that I think Wisconsin is stacked, but Morgan is absolutely critical to IU winning, really, any games.

As an aside, it's nice to see Wisconsin reverting to its former position as one of the worst teams in the conference. They had their run, and the Grinch is gone.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^ I wonder what IU's record would be without Morgan, maybe winless? 

Not that I think Wisconsin is stacked, but Morgan is absolutely critical to IU winning, really, any games.

As an aside, it's nice to see Wisconsin reverting to its former position as one of the worst teams in the conference. They had their run, and the Grinch is gone.

Did you know they went 47 years in between NCAA tournament appearances (1947-1994). How does that happen?!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...