Neat story on Don Fischer

47 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Before Don Fischer.... it was Chuck Marlowe.  The announcer on the "Bobby Knight Show" for 29 years. 

636171555419565249-635907895878765272-ma

I loved Mr. Marlowe. He was the announcer for wrestling on channel 4. When I was a kid growing up on the south side on Indy I got to meet him many times when they were filming the television matches at the south side armory. Even though I was a youngster he was always very nice. 
If you get a chance view the you tube video when Knight brought the jackass on his weekly tv show. Knight had invited the Purdue athletic director to be on his show and when he didn't come Knight got a jackass wearing a Purdue hat to show up. Chuck was laughing his butt off and could hardly conduct the interview. 

40 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I loved Mr. Marlowe. He was the announcer for wrestling on channel 4. When I was a kid growing up on the south side on Indy I got to meet him many times when they were filming the television matches at the south side armory. Even though I was a youngster he was always very nice. 
If you get a chance view the you tube video when Knight brought the jackass on his weekly tv show. Knight had invited the Purdue athletic director to be on his show and when he didn't come Knight got a jackass wearing a Purdue hat to show up. Chuck was laughing his butt off and could hardly conduct the interview. 

Very funny video.  The Purdue mascot.

Chuck Marlowe also did wrestling and wrestling promotions in Chicago and Northwest Indiana, when I was growing up.  Could not find any videos of him with "Dick the Bruiser". But they were classic. Always the straight man.... as he was in the Purdue mascot video.

Hammond Chuck Marlowe Bob Luce Wrestling Promo1969 

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Very funny video.  The Purdue mascot.

Chuck Marlowe also did wrestling and wrestling promotions in Chicago and Northwest Indiana, when I was growing up.  Could not find any videos of him with "Dick the Bruiser". But they were classic. Always the straight man.... as he was in the Purdue mascot video.

Hammond Chuck Marlowe Bob Luce Wrestling Promo1969 

When you click on the link you provided there is a video of upcoming matches in Louisville that shows Marlow and The Bruiser. I don't know how to copy it over

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Three things that simply cannot be replaced in my mind when watching sports:

1.  Hilliard Gates and tourney HS Basketball

2.  Bob Chase and Fort Wayne Komet Hockey

3.  Fish and IUFB ad IUBB.

Hilliard Gates and Bob Chase are in heaven now.  I rue the day when Fish is not on the call for IUBB/IUFB.  I grew up listening to these men.  It's just can't be the same without them.

5 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

Hilliard Gates and Bob Chase are in heaven now.  I rue the day when Fish is not on the call for IUBB/IUFB.  I grew up listening to these men.  It's just can't be the same without them.

Tom Carnegie and IHSAA basketball as well as the Indy 500

Jerry Baker and the Indiana Pacers of the ABA

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And another Indiana tradition :

Jim Nabors' Last "Back Home Again in Indiana" 2014

RIP, Gomer. 

As a kid in Indy, I used to relish going to the race with my dad, and Jim Nabors was a big part of it.  I remember my dad and I belting out the lyrics right along with Jim.  Those were some great days.  Dad's been gone for some time, and without Jim, the race just doesn't mean as much to me any more.  Funny how life works sometimes.

20 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

Oh my.....Bob Chase.  I spent many a night lying in bed listening to him call a Komet game on WOWO.

I went to, on average, 30 Komet games a year as a teenager. He also was the inspiration for Mike Doc" Emrick, probably my favorite professional announcer these days.

Listened to Hilliard Gates announce both Ft Wayne Sectional 1and2, Regionals and Semi-State.

Fisch goes back to my student days in the mid to late 70's.

The state of Indiana has been blessed with some awesome announcers

34 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

As a kid in Indy, I used to relish going to the race with my dad, and Jim Nabors was a big part of it.  I remember my dad and I belting out the lyrics right along with Jim.  Those were some great days.  Dad's been gone for some time, and without Jim, the race just doesn't mean as much to me any more.  Funny how life works sometimes.

My condolences on you losing your dad.  However.... you have some great memories to reflect upon.  Thanks for sharing the one's from the 500 with us. 

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

My memories of my departed dad are tied into the 500 as well. Not sure exactly why. I think I take comfort from the traditions before the race starts. The people and details change, but the events and the order they come in don't. It reminds me of my father. My wife (36 years of marriage) knows to leave me alone while I watch the pre-race stuff on the tube.

Archived