2018 National Signing Day

KDB

2 new signees so far today. 

Jamar was committed, signed on the dotted line.

James Miller, a 3 star MLB who was thought by many to go to FSU signed with IU as well. 

In the 2018 Class, IU got both the Tampa Bay Times OPOY (Michael Penix) and DPOY (James Miller)

I posted this for another commit a few weeks ago and it is even better now.  The depth we're building is light years above what we've ever had.  Looking at the 24/7 composite score, this year King is our 6th highest rated player and Miller is 10th.  Their scores would have been higher than everybody but Burgess in the 2017 class.

Also, look at the guys the last couple months who we've been in the final 3 with.  Penix was expected to go elsewhere and we flipped him late.  FSU was expected by a lot of people to get Miller and he committed here.  I think there is at least one more I'm forgetting.  We haven't had any guys (that I remember) that we were expected to get that went elsewhere, and all of our verbal commits signed with us.  Recruits are buying what Tom Allen is selling, and I can't wait to see what he does with the 2019 class.

Love the class. 

1.  Everybody and their monkey wants to get into South Florida for recruiting because of all the talent in Miami and Ft Lauderdale. But, we’ve obviously got a great foothold in the Tampa area and we are smart about who we are targeting. 

2.  There are a lot of good players in this class, and our depth is really starting to get to legit.  That’s been a hindrance in the past.  But, look at the talent we brought in at end, linebacker, corner and safety, plus Penix, Walker, and a couple of athletic prospects at OL.  

3.  I’m very excited about the 2019 class, because we will be able to show prospects that they will have good talent around them.  Every year, you need talent everywhere, but I’d like to see a bias toward higher end receivers, interior offensive linemen and defensive tackles.  We have some young talent at those spots but next year would be a good time to get some high three star or even four star talent at those positions.  

4.  If we can pound the rock, make smart play calls in pressure situations, have consistent specials, get a bit more pass rush, and be fundamentally sound, we can be a tough out.  You look at where Northwestern came from at one time, and we can do it too.   There’s no reason why we can’t be on par with them or better than them or a school like Iowa etc. 

57 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Roll Tide!

Realizing this has nothing to do with IU.... and perhaps, I should have put it in a thread of it's own.  However, since it's here... I am really conflicted on this one. I think Jacob handled himself in a very admirable manner.   Mom was the bad actor in this case.... on two levels.  Should have accepted her son going with his heart... and second, should have never walked out.  All she did was embarrass her son (and herself) on a national stage (it's been on several national tv shows). The young man has at least four more years to deal with this.  I feel badly for him. 

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Realizing this has nothing to do with IU.... and perhaps, I should have put it in a thread of it's own.  However, since it's here... I am really conflicted on this one. I think Jacob handled himself in a very admirable manner.   Mom was the bad actor in this case.... on two levels.  Should have accepted her son going with his heart... and second, should have never walked out.  All she did was embarrass her son (and herself) on a national stage (it's been on several national tv shows). The young man has at least four more years to deal with this.  I feel badly for him. 

I agree with you. Just never get opportunities for Roll Tide responses. Hope it wasn't taken as snarky.

3 hours ago, KDB said:

Where IU finishes in the FINAL 2018 Class Rankings

Rivals: 44 

ESPN: 48

247: 48

Anyone know what happened with Kevin Brewer, Jalen Norwood and Tyrik Henderson? All DB's that appear to have been high on IU for a really long time and haven't committed elsewhere per 247. 

33 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Anyone know what happened with Kevin Brewer, Jalen Norwood and Tyrik Henderson? All DB's that appear to have been high on IU for a really long time and haven't committed elsewhere per 247. 

I know we ended up with quite a few DBs.. maybe those kids can't qualify?

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

Kevin Brewer and Tyrik Henderson are both headed to Iowa Western (JUCO), while Norwood signed with Valdosta State (D2)

Archived