Minnesota Pregame Thread

When: Friday 2/8 at 7:30pm ET on FS1

KenPom likes us to win 75-71, giving us a 66% chance to win

ESPN gives us a 65% chance of victory

Vegas has us -6

Slowing down Jordan Murphy is the key to beating the Gophers, as he averages 18 points and 12 boards. He put up 18 and 10 in our first game. Amir Coffey, who didn't play in our first match up, averages 14 points. Nate Mason shoots 41% from three and averages 16 ppg, and burned us for 22 points in Minneapolis. Containing those three guys is our recipe for success. They continue on without Reggie Lynch.

They have lost six straight, and nine of ten, so they are reeling coming into Bloomington. On the flip side, they gave Michigan and Nebraska all they could handle, so they seem to be playing better as of late.

IU needs to beat them by just enough that they don't lose any further confidence in Pitino. We don't want Little Ricky to go anywhere anytime soon. Lol  

On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the temp of his seat?   After the way they did Tubby , he should in all fairness be canned after this season is over.

Who is more disappointing:?  Little Ricky or Fran 

1 hour ago, bstall76 said:

There is word that Coffey and McBryer may both be out for the game tomorrow.   That would make them really short in the back court.  Mason and the freshman Washington are good, but they are going to need some help.

Certainly should help. Fast start is something I really want to see again. Hard to believe only 3 more home games left this year. Unless of course we decide hosting a NIT game isn't below us this time around...

I watched Minnesota recently and they frankly might as well not have a coach.  There's no purpose to either their offense or defense.  The most sophisticated play I saw Ricky draw up after a time-out was a simple post-feed that could have been easily defeated with decent defense and court awareness.  I think they'd play just as well if he stayed in the locker room during the game.

Unless Minnesota catches fire shooting, I don't see Minnesota outplaying Archie's strategic leadership.  This should be a fairly easy win.

What little I have seen of Minnesota seems like street ball. That being said the players seem to be pretty good at street ball. Don't know the answer but I would think that Archie's team defense should hold it's own. I'm going with a double digit win just not 20 points.

3 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

When: Friday 2/8 at 7:30pm ET on FS1

KenPom likes us to win 75-71, giving us a 66% chance to win

ESPN gives us a 65% chance of victory

Vegas has us -6

Slowing down Jordan Murphy is the key to beating the Gophers, as he averages 18 points and 12 boards. He put up 18 and 10 in our first game. Amir Coffey, who didn't play in our first match up, averages 14 points. Nate Mason shoots 41% from three and averages 16 ppg, and burned us for 22 points in Minneapolis. Containing those three guys is our recipe for success. They continue on without Reggie Lynch.

They have lost six straight, and nine of ten, so they are reeling coming into Bloomington. On the flip side, they gave Michigan and Nebraska all they could handle, so they seem to be playing better as of late.

Coffey has not played in the last couple of games so do you know if he is playing against us.  Also the other night another one of their starters left the game with an injury.

17 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

KenPom is often wrong on IU, hopefully not tomorrow.

I think the team is focused, and will win and win well.

He is wrong because his model can't handle the couple huge outliers we have. Most teams don't have one game, let alone two, so far out of character. 

With that said, I think we win by double digits. We are much better than the Gophers. 

28 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He is wrong because his model can't handle the couple huge outliers we have. Most teams don't have one game, let alone two, so far out of character. 

With that said, I think we win by double digits. We are much better than the Gophers. 

KenPom being wrong is a false narrative, plain and simple.

46 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

KenPom being wrong is a false narrative, plain and simple.

Sure, semantically wrong would be the incorrect way to talk about it. The reason his model is less  predictive of Indiana this season is because we have two major outliers that are difficult to account for within his model. Better?

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Sure, semantically wrong would be the incorrect way to talk about it. The reason his model is less  predictive of Indiana this season is because we have two major outliers that are difficult to account for within his model. Better?

With a few exceptions, which are to be expected with a system that makes predictions, he hasn’t been wrong about Indiana this season. There’s a reason he’s always so close to the Vegas line. 

22 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

My only concern is based in just how bad they've been. See Illinois. This is a home game, though, and we do look to be focused with that last beatdown W, but frankly I'd prefer that Minn look better coming in.

This. They have several players who can make it really difficult for Indiana if they get going, and I hope they don't find their footing tonight either. I always worry about what happens if Morgan picks up a couple of quick fouls.

I still have IU by 10+. I think they make a few shots tonight. They've been doing the right things to find looks. One would hope they could even get hot for a few games. 

Archived