20 Wins

5fouls

Kind of remarkable that we’re even considering 20 wins at any point this season, given where we were at after the Wisky and Illinois losses.  Heck, why not win out and go for 20 prior to the NIT?  I think the team has finally found an identity and looks to be playing well.  If we can play with the intensity we’ve been playing with the rest of the season, I’ll be happy no matter how the rest of the season plays out.

50 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Kind of remarkable that we’re even considering 20 wins at any point this season, given where we were at after the Wisky and Illinois losses.  Heck, why not win out and go for 20 prior to the NIT?  I think the team has finally found an identity and looks to be playing well.  If we can play with the intensity we’ve been playing with the rest of the season, I’ll be happy no matter how the rest of the season plays out.

It’s not impossible, but our piss poor FT shooting will probably lose us some more games we should win. I’m just stoked with the defensive effort and steady improvement(except FT shooting) of this team! I believe we truly have a bright future with Archie!

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My new goal for the season is 20 wins.  Regardless of the real difference between 19 and 20, from a pyschological standpoint, 20 just feels better.

13 now

4 of 5 remaing regular season games.

1 in BTT

Means we would need 2 in the NIT. 

Can we get there?

i think this would be a little shocking.  you never know though.

Don't sell short the concept of momentum. And don't sell short the difficulty of our schedule the past 4 games and how well we played in that timespan, with an exception on the first half of @OSU. The end of a season can be a time where teams thrive or choke. It all depends on where this team is mentally. I think we know based off their performance at Rutgers. That was more mental than physical. They basically had every reason to be a dud on Monday night and turn it in for the season. Instead they were laser-focused.

Our next 2 games are at home against very beatable opponents. We are favored by 7 tonight, and likely more against Illinois. Get on a 3 game winning streak, going in to a very beatable Iowa. Streak to 4, and the team is feeling good/confident about themselves and have that Archie mentality. 

I would not be surprised if we won our last 5 games based off where this team seems to be mentally with their improved physicality on defense, rebounding and an emerging PG. 

a complete and ridiculous long shot (and NO, I don't expect this to happen), but I wonder what would happen if we win 4 of 5 (with one of those wins against OSU) AND THEN win 2 games in the B1G tournament (one of those coming from MSU or PU). Would that even that get us in to the big dance? 19 wins w/ 2 'tier one' wins? I guess it would depend on how Penn St, Maryland and Nebraska finish their seasons, because I'm not sure that the B1G gets more than 5 teams in this year.  

There is no doubt in my mind that this Indiana Team could end up with 20 WINS !! One thing I have noticed is that the points per game that IU allows has been going DOWN and that is a VERY GOOD TREND !! !!! I'm hoping that IU's defense CONTINUES to get BETTER !! A team can overcome a bad shooting night by playing GOOD DEFENSE !! I'm kind of feeling that the IU players are starting to understand this principle !! I sure as hell hope so !!  With our LOUSY free throw shooting  we NEED the defense to shut down the OPPOSITION's scoring !!

5 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

a complete and ridiculous long shot (and NO, I don't expect this to happen), but I wonder what would happen if we win 4 of 5 (with one of those wins against OSU) AND THEN win 2 games in the B1G tournament (one of those coming from MSU or PU). Would that even that get us in to the big dance? 19 wins w/ 2 'tier one' wins? I guess it would depend on how Penn St, Maryland and Nebraska finish their seasons, because I'm not sure that the B1G gets more than 5 teams in this year.  

Right now, it looks like they'll need to win that many just to get into the NIT.

Get to 17-18 wins and I'll be convinced enough to entertain the idea of them winning the BTT.  Like I had saw mentioned somewhere on the site, we might as well be thinking along those lines already since that's IU's only way to absolutely ensure anything with the NCAAT. I would give a relatively more rested Indiana team a punchers chance since they maintained such a high energy level with so many quick turnarounds prior to now.

I still think the past is already too much to overcome even if they win out, personally. The thing is if they can find a way and it all falls into place they still have to overcome the perception of the B1G. That loss at Illinois, and failing to pick up a ranked win in conference play is where I think the at-large chances actually died already. 

For the fun of pondering: Their path to any longshot at-large big tournament bid would have to go through at least one of the teams you named, or Northwestern, but a lot more would need to come together perfectly beforehand. Those teams would have to win out other than Nebraska when they host Indiana. Nebraska reaching the top 25 prior to that meeting would be most ideal. Ohio State would likely have to do the same(win out until IU) thing to reach the top 10 to top 5 range to enhance the quality. They would have to dismantle everyone else , and beat both Nebraska and Ohio State coming off the above scenario. Another loss would be impossible to overcome and they would need to prove they're better than Nebraska as well.IU would then need to both draw and navigate the toughest BTT path possible. Lol  

It gets real tricky since we don't know how IU nor everyone else will finish, but I don't know if or how anything can possibly move the bottom line of the conference being really weak this year.

Archived