A season to remember!

Drroogh

Just reading everything, about still getting 20 wins, still running the table, still winning the BIG tourney..... and it just reinforced for me how special this season has been!

Even after some of the debacles there was still almost a cumbia presence on the board as everyone seemed to be in agreement that IU was in good hands with Coach Archie Miller!

What a pleasure it has been to see IU win games or be in games not because they could shoot but because they could play defense and run actual offense. Even the losses (most of them) have been enjoyable for the basketball purist.   The fact that we could still celebrate those, to me is a testament to the quality of the posters on this board!

I got to believe that for me at least, this will be one of my most fondly remembered seasons ever of IU basketball!

GO HOOSIERS!

Don’t think I’m ever going to be able to look back fondly on a season where we got the piss beat out of us by ISU and IPFW, lost to a bunch of walk-ons on the worst Wisconsin team in decades, and lost to an 0-8 Illinois.  But there have been some encouraging signs of growth and improvement.  Here’s hoping Archie pans out so we can look back and laugh about how aggravating this season was at times.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Don’t think I’m ever going to be able to look back fondly on a season where we got the piss beat out of us by ISU and IPFW, lost to a bunch of walk-ons on the worst Wisconsin team in decades, and lost to an 0-8 Illinois.  But there have been some encouraging signs of growth and improvement.  Here’s hoping Archie pans out so we can look back and laugh about how aggravating this season was at times.

Can't disagree, but part of being able to look back on this season will be remembering the foundation that built the things to come. At least that is what we seem to be seeing in the future.

Archie just said on radio show exactly what I think most have been thinking. We went from 1 1/2 players in November and December who gave all out effort to now where 4 maybe all 5 are giving that. Love his honesty and probably the reason why recruits love his approach as well. 

We knew this was the transition year. Anyone expecting tourney results with this team (given the injuries/roster) is either clueless or enjoys complaining. Pedaling cynicism as wisdom crowd has a short shelf life. 

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Archie just said on radio show exactly what I think most have been thinking. We went from 1 1/2 players in November and December who gave all out effort to now where 4 maybe all 5 are giving that. Love his honesty and probably the reason why recruits love his approach as well. 

We knew this was the transition year. Anyone expecting tourney results with this team (given the injuries/roster) is either clueless or enjoys complaining. Pedaling cynicism as wisdom crowd has a short shelf life. 

Sorry, I disagree.  It was not too much to expect this team to make the tourney at all.  The fact that we’re not going to (in all likelihood) doesn’t mean we never had a chance from the beginning, especially in a weak Big Ten.  Nebraska is on the bubble for crying out loud.  We have four terrible losses and couldn’t capitalize on any of our games against ranked teams outside ND, even the ones at home.  Missing out on the tourney doesn’t mean Archie isn’t the guy, just means he didn’t exceed expectations with this group.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Sorry, I disagree.  It was not too much to expect this team to make the tourney at all.  The fact that we’re not going to (in all likelihood) doesn’t mean we never had a chance from the beginning, especially in a weak Big Ten.  Nebraska is on the bubble for crying out loud.  We have four terrible losses and couldn’t capitalize on any of our games against ranked teams outside ND, even the ones at home.  Missing out on the tourney doesn’t mean Archie isn’t the guy, just means he didn’t exceed expectations with this group.

Depends on when you look at the expectations.  After a few of the head scratching losses.  Expectations by many were low at that point for this team.  To be competing at the level the team has been in the last handful of games after the way the season started, expectations have been exceeded.  Looking at it from the perspective that we were not going to make the field of 68 after losing 3 to going pro.  Then you are right, expectations were not exceeded.

Regardless of perspective, I like the way Archie has IU trending.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No problem and healthy debate is always good. We had RoJo, Morgan, Hartman, Davis coming back. I could see where many thought minimally a tourney team. I think we as fans underestimated the challenges of implementing a new system. I know I did.

We are two very bad losses from being a tourney bubble team with 5 to go. Assigning a term like expectations though with Archie isn't fair. Good coaches know the macro vs micro. I think we just assumed losing 3 starters to pros was going to be no big deal...haha.

18 minutes ago, Ronzo44IU said:

One cannot underestimate the bad habits Archie had to overcome with this group.  Look at how this team with 3 NBA bound players played in the NIT last year.  I get what Arch is saying completely and I'm sure it's been a long process of mental gymnastics.

Can't say how much I underscore with your post.   Also. Recalling how many were mocking Archie's defense at the start of this year, to where this team has progressed in terms of defense.... takes away.... IMHO....what Archie has been able to accomplish .... with, what I think we all can agree.... with a less than normal ... talented IU team.

24 minutes ago, Ronzo44IU said:

Look at how this team with 3 NBA bound players played in the NIT last year.

This is why I have a hard time understanding how people thought we would be a tournament team this year.  We had no one returning and overall an underwhelming recruiting class coming in.  Plus we had a new coach with an entirely different system from what we’ve been running the past 10 years to implement and get guys to buy into.  What screams tournament team in that equation?  We had bad losses against ISU and IPFW, with games we should’ve won @Wisky and @Illinois, but everything else has pretty much been up to par.  Anyone who expected an at large bid this year, may have had those crimson colored glasses on a little too long, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing (I wear them too) but not realistic.

5 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

This is why I have a hard time understanding how people thought we would be a tournament team this year.  We had no one returning and overall an underwhelming recruiting class coming in.  Plus we had a new coach with an entirely different system from what we’ve been running the past 10 years to implement and get guys to buy into.  What screams tournament team in that equation?  We had bad losses against ISU and IPFW, with games we should’ve won @Wisky and @Illinois, but everything else has pretty much been up to par.  Anyone who expected an at large bid this year, may have had those crimson colored glasses on a little too long, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing (I wear them too) but not realistic.

I think you're blowing what people generally thought out of proportion and taking the convenient out. Feel free to disagree, obviously. This is easy to say in hindsight, and you make it sound as if IU has missed the mark by a mile.Nobody expected the specific injuries, and Jones leaving mid-season either.It also isn't Indiana's fault that some of their opponents we thought had a chance to be ranked wins didn't pan out.

Looking at the losses, and the roster situation it was fair to expect anything from a record just below .500 up to an at-large berth on the top end , but most likely somewhere in between. Few here really thought Indiana would be in the top 3 in the B1G , but many gave an outside chance at 4th-6th in a best case scenario. IU is still alive to move up higher than where they are so I still wouldn't rule out 5th or better if they keep playing this way and get some help.

The fact last years team increasingly underperformed as the season progressed left the door cracked for a possible dramatic improvement by itself. It's the same reason I'm not a bit shocked by Ohio State having a great year, except I felt it was more likely there or Illinois than at IU. That's the type of thing I have a hard time understanding. Stuff like that and how McBob is some big revelation to some. My wife is from Vermont, and they've been on a historic run playing a core that McRoberts was recruited on scholarship to be a critical cog for. How some think it's unthinkable that a D-1 recruit might do better in a better fit is similar to how everyone freaked out when Ziesloft went off from outside at IU on offense. That was more surprising  than McBob since McRoberts actually has enough mobility to be a factor on either end.

I see where you're coming from, but the bottom line is this team returned an experienced back court, and it's the back court issues that have cost them the most, not the thin front court like many thought. Even now one would still figure that Johnson and Newkirk might be able to play 40 minutes of solid ball instead of 36. Clocks are ticking on careers so we'll see. Miller had mostly raved about Green heading into the opener. Green has ultimately took longer than I would have expected to materialize at PG from that point in the fall. He's shooting better and the recent improvement in his Assist/TO ratio almost directly coincide with Indiana shooting better since he opens up so much. I hope he can develop into a player that can be used the way Purdue uses Carsen Edwards. He's already showing flashes of it with plenty of games to be played. Shoot and take care of the ball even marginally more consistent, and this is likely no less than a bubble team instead of a team still with too much left to do  to warrant serious mention. Morgan has been a beast, Hartman a bummer, and McSwain clearly gets it now. What's to say Davis wouldn't have, and Smith wont even if they aren't upperclassmen. There is more accountability now. I always side with that when it's present with a team, and it has been. The only real problem as of right now is they haven't gotten enough huge wins to offset their worst losses. I kindly refer you to each of Miller's post game interviews after Indiana losses. It's right there.  I feel like we should've won and that's on me and us. - If not verbatim then close to it. Collectively speaking from the majority of his interviews he thinks IU should be a tournament team. It all adds up just like a season does. The underlying truth is had Indiana executed in a couple of very basic areas in most of their games they would probably be in right now.

Speaking for myself , IU losing a few they were favored in went as expected, but they haven't got the huge win I expected them to get because of late game execution, not because the opponent left them no chance. Regardless of who they've played, they've mostly been able to run what Archie draws up well enough to get looks. Had just 1 of the 3 then top 5 home games, and at Illinois resulted in a focused final stretch, we would be probably be talking about what Indiana still needs to do to get in. 

Despite that this team is starting to look how many thought it had a chance to look earlier on, and most certainly how Archie thought it had a chance to look in some of these missed opportunities. I just don't think there was any feeling of certainty on the part of most.

Please overlook the fact my post was long. I've never understood why folks get put off when one is willing to consider opposing views, and respect them even in disagreement. I've been around since the Scout days, and although my responses are often long, I try to read every single post and research what I say first. I know it isn't as popular as throwing out stats, and one liners but I prefer the relatively low volume high substance approach. All I'm saying is I do understand where you're coming from that a lot gets said without much actual insight into the reality of the situation on IU boards. I was never a D-1 , but I've coached, played with, and played against enough power 5 caliber D-1 players , and high level talent to wager an informed guess so whether it's right or wrong, or short or long winded is beside the point. We're still fans and emotional investment is much higher for Indiana fans than a lot of places that don't care as much. That's the fun part if you ask me.

This team might not be playing for a lot, but it's been very hard to tell lately. I dig it!  I'll go on the record now, and say I'll be the least surprised when Indiana is ranked next season because no matter what outcome the top to bottom roster will improve almost by default. IQ, talent, and confidence will go up from day 1 with or without Romeo. They might not stay ranked , but they will be ranked. Before the season is over Race Thompson will be the new big "revelation". Lol Write that on down.

We have looked better as the season has progressed, even since Davis went down. Especially on defense. For that, I am happy, and encouraged about the future.

I can't say I will look back fondly upon this season though... it has been pretty crummy overall. The ISU and IPFW games are low points in IU basketball history.

10 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I always finds myself liking your posts.  I think we’d be friends lol

I think what got me going was how much this team has changed and progressed from the beginning of the season. I think the reason I'm going to remember this season is how this season was looking like a throw away season and now is starting to look like the foundation of IU's success going forward under Coach Archie Miller.

Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I think what got me going was how much this team has changed and progressed from the beginning of the season. I think the reason I'm going to remember this season is how this season was looking like a throw away season and now is starting to look like the foundation of IU's success going forward under Coach Archie Miller.

Time will tell.

Cannot agree more.  There’s plenty of reason to be optimistic about the future.

nationally they picked us between 7-9 in the conference.  i agreed.  so if we finish 6th, i think that is solid.  we also lost Davis that most of us expected to be a big impact player.  that said, i do not see 20 wins.  at 11-4 NEB is tough,  then vs. OSU.  then say we have at least one upset in the BTT.  then a win in the NIT.  that's a lot of things to happen.  

Archived