OSU / Pre and Post Game Thread

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

Our receivers are as advertised -- very good. 

Lagow is what he is -- a QB who will put up big numbers which will be largely negated by his putting the  ball on the ground or in the arms of enemy DB's.

We have no running attack.

The offensive line needs work.

The defense was generally good, but OSU found some holes in the pass defense which they exploited for two long TDs.

Agreed except for the defense....Lagow is not a different QB or at least he didn't show that last night. I think he has improved his skills but his decision making is still terrible.  The offensive line was terrible but I'm still hoping that was more to do with OSU's D line being dominant. The WR corp is impressive but I was pretty pissed to see Westbrook on special teams only to get hurt on the opening kickoff....that, in my opinion, is not smart being that he's our best deep threat on the team. I also think Ian Cooper, while very impressive as a receiver, is a complete liability as a blocker...he's has to improve in that regard if he wants to play full time. 

Our defense is overrated. I didn't see our play makers (Scales, Fant, Ball and Crawford) make any impressive plays. Dutra got burned on almost every route. The only player I was impressed with was Fields who looks much improved and little bigger than last year. Fant did his job so he gets a B grade for the night. The D Line (who seemed to hold their own in the first half) was completely exposed in the 2nd half. Giving up 7+ yards a carry and getting almost no pressure on the QB outside of a couple times with McCray. Too many big plays and very poor pass coverage in the 2nd half.  Also only 3 tackles for a loss for the entire game is not going to get it done either...Back to the drawing board. At least we have a couple extra days to prepare for Virginia...Go Hoosiers! 

First, regarding the run game. IMO Morgan Ellison looked like the best back last night, though the majority of his carries and yards were in the last 4 mins of the game just trying to get it over with, also w some OSU 2nd stringers in, but looked more explosive and fought for more than I believe every other back that played. Majette did not look good at all on the ground, looked decent receiving. I say against Virginia next week Debord and Allen should give Ellison the start or at least majority of the carries and if he's not doing so great, get Majette back out there. 

Next on Lagow, though he has very questionable decision making at times.. He threw 65 PASSES, that's a progam record. He also completed 40 of em for 410 and 3 tds, he had 2 interceptions I understand but the thing is, lots of QB's in the country in 65 pass attempts would've thrown more than 2 interceptions, this is too me arguably his best game as a hoosier, made lots of really good throws throughout the night. The first pick would have been a TD if weren't tipped, the second pick was simply Rich forcing it, no excuses.. But we were down 21 w 4 mins left, he was trying to get us possibly in the game again and QUICK. The fumble was a hit from his blindside and only thing you can ask for there is too be more aware of your surroundings.

29 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

D did all they could I though.  There were a couple of breakdowns but overall solid. 

That seems to be the consensus among many posters but I don't get this...They only stopped OSU twice in the entire second half, every other possession lead to a TD. That's not a couple of breakdowns, that's breaking down on almost every possession for a half of football....First half, played pretty well and did all they could (aided by some pretty poor play by Barrett and his receivers)....second half: may as well have stayed in the locker room. 

1. Very disappointing second half.  OSU has some athletes that IU just doesn't have.  Having said that, with more discipline, we could have played more fundamentally solid defense.  Very disappointed, and surprised with the anemic defense in the second half.  On offense, to me the story was the offensive line.  It wasn't good enough.

2.  Majette is not good as a starting B1G back.  He didn't have much in front of him to be sure, but he has pedestrian ability.  He can be a fine backup, though.  

3.  I'd roll with more Ellison, Gest, and even Natee at spots.  I was disappointed we didn't see more of those guys.

4. The offensive line was absolutely manhandled.  Sure, that's a roster full of NFL DL'ers at OSU.  But that was embarrassing what they put on tape last night.  Baker had a tough matchup and hung in there as much as he could.  The three interior line guys looked weak to me.  I hope none of those spots are safe going forward.  Wes Martin?  Third year as a starter?  He should be better than that crap.  Stepaniak was supposed to be a good player, but was lost.  

5.  Durability is the number one skill a player needs to have.  Brandon Knight is always in the shop.  It's constant with him.  If he can ever get on the field, I'd be curious what he could do inside at guard, and maybe send Martin to the bench.  Kids like Caleb Jones and Harry Crider are supposedly looking good.  Maybe they need to be weaned onto the field going forward. MacKenzie Nworah was highly regarded.  Hopefully, he develops more. darren Hiller has a ton to prove after what we just watched.

6.  On defense, I sarcastically ask whether Jonathan Crawford or Chris Covington played?  Besides having tire tracks all over their jerseys, they were invisible.  Overall, the group looked like they quit or were lost, or both, in the second half.  I thought McCray made a few plays, which was nice.  Dutra looked out of shape and slow.  He was outmatched.  If Ball were hurt, i hope we could look at someone else before Dutra.  He was terrible.  Fields made some plays, at least.  I hope Allen and the defensive coaches fix that in a hurry.

Archived